shape
carat
color
clarity

How to clean pearls?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve always wondered how to clean pearls - I''ve always heard that you never put pearls in any solutions that you would clean diamonds in, so I''m at a loss as to how to clean my dirty pearls? With a polishing cloth? Is there a particular solution that works for them?

I''d appreciate any input!! Thanks!
1.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great question Cleo, I would like to know too!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I believe you''re just supposed to wipe them with a cloth and put them away. Water can affect the cord they''re knotted with, and chemicals (even just soap) can affect the pearls themselves.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2009 1:47:56 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
I believe you''re just supposed to wipe them with a cloth and put them away. Water can affect the cord they''re knotted with, and chemicals (even just soap) can affect the pearls themselves.
Thanks HH, makes sense with the string to keep it dry.

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 1:47:56 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk

Hmmm - good point - I never thought about the string that the pearls are knotted with - it makes sense to never soak pearls because of that fact. I wipe my pearls with an old t-shirt rag - it''s probably softer than anything store bought - but i just don''t find them clean enough - especially when i used to wear my pearl necklace every day - it seems like junk buildup that a rag just can''t get off!
14.gif

jmtomaui

Shiny_Rock
I found this post on a pearl forum and thought I would copy it here. I've kept the authors name and information to give credit where due. Moderators, if this is against forum policy, please do delete this post as I do not want to violate any of PS policies. Thanks!

Julie

Quality pearls are durable, but proper care is necessary to keep them beautiful and lustrous. Here are important tips to care for your pearls. If you're anything like me, I like to wear my pearls everywhere so I take special precautions so that they will maintain their allure.

Gently wipe the pearls with a warm, damp cloth to remove body oils or dirt (which may harm the colors) before putting them away.

Keep pearls away from chlorine bleach, vinegar, ammonia, hairspray, perfume, and cosmetics, as these substances will damage the pearl surface. Make sure to put pearls on after finished spraying perfume or hairspray and putting on makeup. Also, remove pearls before exercising to keep them away from perspiration. Be very careful with substances as they will eat holes in the pearl nacre.

Wash pearls periodically with mild soap (NOT detergent) and a soft cloth. When finished washing the pearls, rinse them in clean water and wrap them in a thin, damp cotton towel to dry. If the pearls are especially dirty, wipe the pearl with acetone polish remover. Acetone will not hurt pearls. DO NOT use jewelry cleaners with ammonia or vinegar in them.

Pearls should be stored away from other objects or jewelry that may scratch the pearls’ surface. Wrap the pearls in linen, soft cloth, or place in a soft pouch. Do NOT store pearls in an airtight package such as a plastic bag because pearls need moisture. If the environment is too dry, the pearls may crack. If placing the pearls in a safety deposit box or in a hot environment, leave a damp cloth nearby.

Restring pearls once a year if worn often. Be sure to have each pearl knotted separately, preferably with silk, so they do not rub together and wear on the pearl nacre. If pearls are very small, knots between each pearl may be undesirable.

Amanda Raab
President
PurePearls.com
Call: 1-800-762-0977

ETA to remove a website address as I believe this to be a violation of PS policy.

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much for the information JM! Very helpful!!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 4:43:54 PM
Author: jmtomaui

I found this post on a pearl forum and thought I would copy it here. I''ve kept the authors name and information to give credit where due. Moderators, if this is against forum policy, please do delete this post as I do not want to violate any of PS policies. Thanks!

Julie

Quality pearls are durable, but proper care is necessary to keep them beautiful and lustrous. Here are important tips to care for your pearls. If you''re anything like me, I like to wear my pearls everywhere so I take special precautions so that they will maintain their allure.

Gently wipe the pearls with a warm, damp cloth to remove body oils or dirt (which may harm the colors) before putting them away.

Keep pearls away from chlorine bleach, vinegar, ammonia, hairspray, perfume, and cosmetics, as these substances will damage the pearl surface. Make sure to put pearls on after finished spraying perfume or hairspray and putting on makeup. Also, remove pearls before exercising to keep them away from perspiration. Be very careful with substances as they will eat holes in the pearl nacre.

Wash pearls periodically with mild soap (NOT detergent) and a soft cloth. When finished washing the pearls, rinse them in clean water and wrap them in a thin, damp cotton towel to dry. If the pearls are especially dirty, wipe the pearl with acetone polish remover. Acetone will not hurt pearls. DO NOT use jewelry cleaners with ammonia or vinegar in them.

Pearls should be stored away from other objects or jewelry that may scratch the pearls’ surface. Wrap the pearls in linen, soft cloth, or place in a soft pouch. Do NOT store pearls in an airtight package such as a plastic bag because pearls need moisture. If the environment is too dry, the pearls may crack. If placing the pearls in a safety deposit box or in a hot environment, leave a damp cloth nearby.

Restring pearls once a year if worn often. Be sure to have each pearl knotted separately, preferably with silk, so they do not rub together and wear on the pearl nacre. If pearls are very small, knots between each pearl may be undesirable.

Amanda Raab
President
PurePearls.com

ETA to remove a website address as I believe this to be a violation of PS policy.
May I add this information...
1-Pearls are soft...do not wear with other metal jewelry rubbing against the pearls...they will get scratched.
2-Dont store more then 6 months in a bank box
3-I VERY MUCH DISAGREE...DONT GET FINGER POLISH REMOVER ON YOUR PEARLS...acetone is used by jewelers to remove old glue...but constant cleaning with acetone or surface contact arnt good on pearls!
4-keep pearls away from citrus...lemon,lime or orange can damage pearls!
5-Dont sleep or bath in pearls
6-store in breathable fabrics...silk or cotton...not polyester or nylon
7-make sure that storage pouches dont have metal zippers or snaps so they dont scratch pearls.
8-store pearls laying flat in a box...dont hang on a hook...so the cord wont stretch
9-dont knot high quality pearls...leave this for costume jewelry.
10-flawed off round pearls are affordable and interesting to the eye...dont ignore adding them to your collection!Some strands are as little as a few dollars a strand at bead shops and wholesale outlets.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2009 1:37:57 AM
Author: jewelerman

Date: 3/5/2009 4:43:54 PM
Author: jmtomaui

I found this post on a pearl forum and thought I would copy it here. I''ve kept the authors name and information to give credit where due. Moderators, if this is against forum policy, please do delete this post as I do not want to violate any of PS policies. Thanks!

Julie

Quality pearls are durable, but proper care is necessary to keep them beautiful and lustrous. Here are important tips to care for your pearls. If you''re anything like me, I like to wear my pearls everywhere so I take special precautions so that they will maintain their allure.

Amanda Raab
President
PurePearls.com

May I add this information...
1-Pearls are soft...do not wear with other metal jewelry rubbing against the pearls...they will get scratched.
2-Dont store more then 6 months in a bank box
3-I VERY MUCH DISAGREE...DONT GET FINGER POLISH REMOVER ON YOUR PEARLS...acetone is used by jewelers to remove old glue...but constant cleaning with acetone or surface contact arnt good on pearls!
4-keep pearls away from citrus...lemon,lime or orange can damage pearls!
5-Dont sleep or bath in pearls
6-store in breathable fabrics...silk or cotton...not polyester or nylon
7-make sure that storage pouches dont have metal zippers or snaps so they dont scratch pearls.
8-store pearls laying flat in a box...dont hang on a hook...so the cord wont stretch
9-dont knot high quality pearls...leave this for costume jewelry.
10-flawed off round pearls are affordable and interesting to the eye...dont ignore adding them to your collection!Some strands are as little as a few dollars a strand at bead shops and wholesale outlets.
NUMBER 9...please have your pearl strand knotted between each pearl...but taking your long strands and tightly twisting them or knotting them will scratch pearls or stretch the silk cord.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results