shape
carat
color
clarity

How to clean jade?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Hello,

I have a jade necklace, but I don''t know how to clean it. Can I use regular ordinary jewelry cleaner, or is there a particular cleansing method that''s best?

Thanks!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know wether there is a general method, but here is what happened to me... When trying to clean a pice of green jade (with water and soap) I noticed that the stone lost some of its lustre. Well, like emeralds, it had received some oil to improve the look of its texture. I have no idea what the exact substance I am talking about was since now is literally gone down the drain and I left the stone as eversince. I doubt that anyone would actually use such tratment on a neclace, but who knows? Other treatments used on jade (coating, dyeing or what not) my suffer from contact with chemicals (jewelry cleaner).
If the water in your area contains much salt (so called 'hard water', like here in Berlin) do not alow it to dry on jewelry since it will leave salt stains like on anything else. Really, hot water (not steam, whatever your finger can deal with), soap and a soft cloth do miracles and work with anything (not pearls, but jade for sure). At least I never risk finding out what some chemical cleaner might do to my jewelry! I prefer not to try. Also, if you do soak the strand (as oposed to clen each bead with a soaked cloth), keep in mind that you should put the string to dry on an absorbant surface (such as thick stack of white paper towels, really) so that the silk string does ot get loose... And this is all I do to MY jewelry.

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
Virtually all jade is waxed; most of it these days is dyed and/or polymer impregnated. So while jade itself is one of the toughest gem materials in existence, the treatments that may have improved its appearance are not. I would stick with mild soap and water, which ought to be enough. Jewelry cleaner will strip off the wax and may damage the polymer coating, if any.

If you're really in doubt and it's a valuable piece, take it to your jeweler.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results