shape
carat
color
clarity
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PriceScope Upgrade Completed
    For issues, questions and comments click the link below
    https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pricescope-upgraded-comments-and-issues.229551/

Dismiss Notice

How to clean a halo, pave setting and pave wedding band???

Discussion in 'RockyTalky' started by Jean, Jan 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jean
    Shiny_Rock

by Jean » Jan 5, 2007
    I just got my ring reset into a halo setting, pave, and a new pave wedding band. I am so scared of loosing a stone and I know I have to be more careful with this setting and can''t just whip out the toothbrush... what are good, safe ways of cleaning a pave setting?

2. belle
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by belle » Jan 5, 2007
    the toothbrush is still a good way of cleaning. you can also use the ultrasonic....or not.
    do a search. there are tons of threads about cleaning rings. we are an obsessive cleaning group here.

3. kcoursolle
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by kcoursolle » Jan 5, 2007
    I have a pave ring and I use the amonia based cleaner in the red jar. It works pretty well, and I haven''t lost a stone yet. I use a small soft toothbrush to scrub the setting.

4. Jean
    Shiny_Rock

by Jean » Jan 5, 2007
    Great... thanks for the tips!

5. FireGoddess
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by FireGoddess » Jan 5, 2007
    The toothbrush is fine, but I do personally use the ultrasonic. Any melee that would come out just from the vibrations of ultrasonic cleaning is likely on its way to falling out if ''thwacked.'' [​IMG] Some people don''t want to chance with the ultrasonic, but personally, I think you can''t beat the cleaning you get with that method.

6. Shay37
    Ideal_Rock

by Shay37 » Jan 5, 2007
    Ditto what FG said. I just don''t use the US as often as people might who have a more simple setting. I only use it once a week. The rest of the time is the toothbrush and ammonia method (or some variation thereof). HTH

shay

7. goldenstar
    Brilliant_Rock

by goldenstar » Jan 5, 2007
    Sorry to hijack the thread... but if a stone does fall out in the cleaner would be it okay to take it to a local mall jeweler or is it worth it to make a drive all the way to the trustworthy jeweler who set the stone? I know everyone''s opinions on mall jewelers but can pretty much anyone put back a fallen stone?

8. RockDoc
    Ideal_Rock

by RockDoc » Jan 5, 2007
    If the mall store has an in-store shop, that would be good. If a mall or jewelry store doesn''t have a bench person on premises, then I''d hesitate.

Most areas have people who just do repair and setting work. Better to make friends with one of those people. Look in the yellow pages for listings of place that advertise they do work on the premises.

Most are fairly pleasant to deal with, and many will do it while you wait and watch, and will probably cost less.

As for cleaning a piece set with small diamonds in an ultrasonic, it is best to get a basket with tight screening or a screened tea ball thingy. When you take the item out of the ultrasonic inspect it carefully for missing stones, and look in the basket for any that have fallen out.

If you don''t have or can''t get one of the screened items, if a diamond falls out it should be in the bottom of the ultrasonic, but if it is hot, you probably should wait till it cools off. Run your finger on the bottom and you should be able to feel even the smallest diamond or colored stone.

Rockdoc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.