shape
carat
color
clarity

How to choose an emerald cut? Help me with 3 stones!

Demerara

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

can you help me pick one of those?
Diamond 1:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/0.94-carat-e-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-723111

Diamond 2:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/0.90-carat-e-color-if-clarity-sku-746102

Diamond 3:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/0.92-carat-d-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-683098

I browsed through several threads on emerald cuts in this forum, but I don't feel any more clever on the subject. The folks at JA told me they were not able to provide ASET or idealscope pictures because those diamonds are not in their office in New York, therefore I am at a loss how to determine the cut of an emerald cut.

Any thoughts?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Demerara

Rough_Rock
Hi Chrono,
can you tell me how you came to your conclusions?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
By observing how the steps light up and darken as the stone turns, and the pattern of the step itself.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually do not like #1. The second one is a maybe, and I also do not like the third one.

I would encourage you to expand your search down to VS1 clarity, which is extremely clean and usually fine in an emerald cut. Also, F color is still in the colorless range.

Demerara

Rough_Rock
Hi Diamondseeker,
can you also tell me why you like or don't like the particular diamond?

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Demerara, I am not an expert by any stretch but the third stone has too large a table at 76% - should be in the 60's (someone can correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm curious to know the issue with no. 1 as well, just to expand my own knowledge of ECs.

Demerara

Rough_Rock
Junebug, I thought that too when I saw the numbers. But I have been told that numbers are not representative when dealing with fancy cuts, you should better have a look at pictures. But there seems to be general consent that 76% is too large.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Demerara|1447885342|3951480 said:
Junebug, I thought that too when I saw the numbers. But I have been told that numbers are not representative when dealing with fancy cuts, you should better have a look at pictures. But there seems to be general consent that 76% is too large.

Demerara, yes, you are right in that you can't go solely by numbers with fancy cuts, but certain numbers can still be used as a guide. A large table can give the EC a flat, glassy appearance and could be a sign of a flat crown, affecting the stone's brilliance. Of course, there are other factors that affect a diamond's performance so you can't go by just one measurement, but it's something to consider and I am going by what I have learned here on PS. Again, I am not an expert so I am hoping some knowledgable folks chime in here!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1447873701|3951381 said:
Demerara, I am not an expert by any stretch but the third stone has too large a table at 76% - should be in the 60's (someone can correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm curious to know the issue with no. 1 as well, just to expand my own knowledge of ECs.

When looking at EC3, I didn't look at the numbers first to be fair to the EC. I saw a lot of leakage so I discounted it right away. There are some ECs with big tables that look nice (although few) but my personal preference is a smaller table and high crown.

For me, EC1 has potential but there are some suspect dark banding that are clustered a little to close to each other. This is why I would like to see the ASET image to make the final call.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
^Yes, forgot to add in my post some of it comes down to personal preference.

Demerara

Rough_Rock
Ok. I threw out the 0.92ct diamond, now there are only two left.
I have 3 gemologists telling me that the 0.90ct diamond has a significantly better cut, but is that worth almost $1000 price difference?
:wall: :rolleyes:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Demerara|1447960577|3951789 said:
Ok. I threw out the 0.92ct diamond, now there are only two left.
I have 3 gemologists telling me that the 0.90ct diamond has a significantly better cut, but is that worth almost $1000 price difference?
:wall: :rolleyes:

Well, the price is in the IF clarity, which is unnecessary. We should look at what else is available. What is your budget?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Demerara

Rough_Rock
Hi Chrono and Junebug,

thank you very much for your help!

I finally settled for the 0.94ct stone and paid $3044 for it. Since I am located abroad, I had to pay taxes on the import, but it was still a pretty good price. A local gemmologist made an independent appraisal and verified the GIA report, but there were some minor discrepancies which made me upset, so I decided to reach out to the JA customer service. The lady chatting with me told me that she can put me on the phone with the manager to talk about the issue. Now guess who was on the phone: It was actually Mr Schultz himself! :clap:
I was like "OMG! Okaaay keep breathing!"

He was very accommodating and we settled the issue in no time. I am amazed that the business owner himself made an effort to talk to his customers in person to make sure that they are happy with their purchase. This is how it should be but unfortunately, it is seldom done in reality. I can advise everyone abroad to buy with confidence at James Allen, as it is really true that they offer the best of both worlds- best price and the best service. I would not believe it if I didn't experienced it myself.
I can still not believe that this actually happened! :lol:

Now I will proceed to work on the design of the ring. Probably I'll come back later to ask for your opinion on different versions of the design. Stay tuned. :twirl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results