shape
carat
color
clarity

How to care for a found cat?

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@chrono, large clear sterilite storage boxes (without lids) are a good option for big cats. I used them for my bunch until I got the Litter Robots.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-15 at 8.34.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-15 at 8.34.42 AM.png
    69.2 KB · Views: 33

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I managed to find one, and only one. The benefit is that it has a cutout that he can walk into without having to jump. Easier to clean with the cutoutt too.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha, so I have a covered litter box right now which Shale knows how to use, but prefers that I take the lid off for him so he has more space to maneuver when he's covering up his business, especially if it's poop. So he will just sit by the litter box and howl under I come take the lid off haha.

It works out because so far he poops twice a day (in the morning and at night) like clock work, and this way I know when it's happening and just clean it up after into the genie for minimal stinkiness

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha, so I have a covered litter box right now which Shale knows how to use, but prefers that I take the lid off for him so he has more space to maneuver when he's covering up his business, especially if it's poop. So he will just sit by the litter box and howl under I come take the lid off haha.

It works out because so far he poops twice a day (in the morning and at night) like clock work, and this way I know when it's happening and just clean it up after into the genie for minimal stinkiness

See? He's training you already!!!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BELLY!!!! belly belly belly. I am a sucker for bellies, makes me go weak in the knees. My cats know this and use it against me.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh. I’m feeling anxious about his neutering next week. I know it’s the healthy and right thing to do, I’m just worried he won’t be the same sweet cuddle bug afterwards.
162B650C-6AAB-45D9-86BC-4858C6A55E2F.jpeg 59FED5B1-B5FB-49E1-9085-FCAC28010845.jpeg C1A63A9E-41DC-4C86-9F87-EB87A98B31C0.jpeg

He is so sweet. He will be fine. Maybe a bit skittish for a few days but he will recover. I know the fear of sending any pet in for a procedure like that. My cats had to get dentals the other week and since they had to be sedated and one had to have multiple teeth out I was a basketcase, but they are perfectly good now and back to normal. After a few days to a week he will be a cuddlebug again even if he stops for a bit - but he may not stop at all! And neutering generally makes male cats more affectionate, not less.

Also omg belly! So so cute. He looks sooooo relaxed and happy.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the comforting words!

Haha yeah he loves having his belly rubbed. And it is insanely soft. I wanna buy a nice white shawl to remind me of it when I’m braving the winter. Will do some shopping next week!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No human food at all for my cat. I think because of this, he doesn't beg at the table or shows any interest in our food. He gets no grain, no starch, no vegetable, no fruit whatever you call it. Just single ingredient meat and the rest are necessary added vitamins. Pampered boy gets Dr. Elsey's canned. He doesn't need to drink any water since canned provides all the hydration he needs.

As for the litter box, my cat is so huge it was difficult to find something that fits. I bought the biggest litter box and even so, could stop the litter throwing until I bought this giant iPrimio Cat Litter Trapper EZ Clean Mat in Jumbo. It ended all the litter tracking all over the house. I clean the box twice a day and that keeps the place from smelling "strong".

I have to buy a dog bed for my cat because he's too big for cat beds.

Sorry to hijack...but have you posted a picture of your cat in the pet thread, Chrono? Don't believe I've seen your cat and I'D LOVE TO!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He is so sweet. He will be fine. Maybe a bit skittish for a few days but he will recover. I know the fear of sending any pet in for a procedure like that. My cats had to get dentals the other week and since they had to be sedated and one had to have multiple teeth out I was a basketcase, but they are perfectly good now and back to normal. After a few days to a week he will be a cuddlebug again even if he stops for a bit - but he may not stop at all! And neutering generally makes male cats more affectionate, not less.

Also omg belly! So so cute. He looks sooooo relaxed and happy.

Agreed!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That white fur looks incredibly soft!

I think neutering usually changes their personality for the better (in my limited experience). They dont worry about procreating and
protecting their territory like unneutered males. He is pretty young though so I'm not sure if it will make any difference in his personality
(I'm hoping it doesnt!).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For my kitties, neutering and spaying seems to make them more loving and less aggressive. Or maybe I only see it that way because we are strengthening our bond over time anyway? I do notice my cats becoming extra loving and needy when they return from the procedure and I'm more than happy to oblige and spoil!\

@canuk-gal I haven't posted any updated pics since kittenhood.

plad25

Shiny_Rock
More Shale twins!

In terms of toys, I have 4 cats and each literally have their own "type" of cat toy they like. Not only do they prefer different ones, but they play with them differently too. One chews the toy mouse like a dog would (noses off first!). While another likes a different type of mouse and doesn't chew it at all. You'll just have to learn what Shale likes.

IMG_9832.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
More Shale twins!

In terms of toys, I have 4 cats and each literally have their own "type" of cat toy they like. Not only do they prefer different ones, but they play with them differently too. One chews the toy mouse like a dog would (noses off first!). While another likes a different type of mouse and doesn't chew it at all. You'll just have to learn what Shale likes.

IMG_9832.JPG

Yes! Twins! Hehe
Maybe you can help me. What color do you describe your kitty as? Shales not exactly orange but also not brown...

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Yes! Twins! Hehe
Maybe you can help me. What color do you describe your kitty as? Shales not exactly orange but also not brown...

He is Buff and White. And very adorable!

plad25

Shiny_Rock
Yes! Twins! Hehe

I describe him as orange and white since most people don’t know what buff color is. My cat has some spots that are a bit more orange, then others a bit dark buff, and other lighter buff. Plus the tail is like striped dark and light. It really is an interesting combo.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would still call him orange. My Hugo is a flame point and he’s a much, much lighter color, but still “flame” aka orange (and white).

A9AAA4F6-3128-432C-B924-EB9CAB1469FC.jpeg

58FA9863-81E9-4040-A568-991B73245AB0.jpeg

I have also heard the term apricot used...our Oliver was first described as apricot colored. But like you I refer to him as orange as does the vet and other animal professionals lol. I asked my dh do you consider Oliver buff colored and he looked at me and was like what is buff colored? He had no clue and I have a feeling most don't really know what buff color is.

Or you could just refer to your cat's coloring as we do with a nickname Oliver is our little Chili Pepper, our Hot Tamale or now as @elle_71125 (I think it was Elle who called her cat this nickname) our toasted marshmallow. Hahaha.

olivermouthopen.png

Ooh he looks scary here lol. Roaaaaarrrrrrrrrr.

@distracts Hugo is so handsome!

@plad25 @Redwoods-hiker-girl your kitties are so beautiful.:love:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got such stink eye for being gone so long yesterday at work and for my partner having strangers in the house in my absence.

He spite peed on my bath mat that’s a foot away from his litter box.

And then glared as he sat on me and demanded I pet him.

0BF8FF8E-9764-4474-B251-CAA23BCBD609.jpeg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
haha it started off as a glare and later slow blinking.

I just dropped him off for neutering, deworming, vaccinations and FIV testing. Oy I miss him so much already. Fingers crossed everything is smooth and he’s healthy!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sure it will go fine! Fingers crossed for you!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
haha it started off as a glare and later slow blinking.

I just dropped him off for neutering, deworming, vaccinations and FIV testing. Oy I miss him so much already. Fingers crossed everything is smooth and he’s healthy!

:lol:

I hope everything goes well! Is the plan to introduce him to his puppy sister once he gets a clean bill of health and has recovered from the neutering?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So he’s home and omg So So hyper! The vet says to try to limit his activity for healing but even when I put him in the crate he’s just throwing his little body against the door and freaking out so I let him out. Now he’s just pacing the apartment with highly dilated pupils and high on meds. Oof.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now he’s just pacing the apartment with highly dilated pupils and high on meds.

Happened to all 4 of mine. They were given buprenorphine for pain and it gave them quite a buzz. I've had to use it occasionally for pain management when one or the other has had a painful boo boo and it always makes them high. One of my mine is extremely food oriented and when he came home from his neutering, he was still wobbly on his feet so I snuggled him into a comfy cat bed and a few minutes later saw him crawling down the hall on his belly trying to get to his food dish, lol.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happened to all 4 of mine. They were given buprenorphine for pain and it gave them quite a buzz. I've had to use it occasionally for pain management when one or the other has had a painful boo boo and it always makes them high. One of my mine is extremely food oriented and when he came home from his neutering, he was still wobbly on his feet so I snuggled him into a comfy cat bed and a few minutes later saw him crawling down the hall on his belly trying to get to his food dish, lol.

Haha yeah Shale has always been pretty chill and right now he’s a cat hurricane. Will. Not. Stop. Moving

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results