shape
carat
color
clarity

How to buy colored stones as far as settings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I would like to start buying some loose colored stones for right hand rings. I don''t have any particular settings in mind at this point. Do I just buy a stone and hope that a stock setting will fit it? At some point, I would like a blue sapphire and a Pad sapphire and I think I''ll have custom settings made. But for a relatively inexpensive stone, I wouldn''t want to pay more for the setting than the stone so a stock setting seems to make more sense. Is there a stock setting for pretty much any size stone? I find this confusing! Thanks.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you look online at Stuller settings (by shape), you''ll get a feel for standard sizes of the settings. There are some gemstones that will fit and others might need a custom setting due to extra depth or unusual shape or measurements. For example, in rounds, there are stock settings for 3mm, 4mm, 5 mm, etc. For pears, there are stock settings for 4x6 mm, 5x7 mm, etc.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
OK, thanks. That makes sense. I keep seeing all these lovely stones that look very appealing, but I''m afraid to buy and be stuck having to go to custom. I think I will peruse Stuller.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most vendors and cutters know the standard setting sizes like the back of their hands, so if you ask about a particular stone fitting into a standard setting, they should be able to answer your question. That might also save you a lot of time instead of perusing through Stuller.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Oh OK, that''s helpful. That would make it a lot easier. Now I just need to get up the nerve to actually buy a stone. I''ve been lurking here for quite some time, so I feel a bit more confident to buy from certain colored stone vendors.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s the best way to start learning about gemstones - buy from trusted vendors until you develop more knowledge, an eye for them and know your likes/dislikes then you''ll be able to branch out on your own to other unknown vendors.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results