shape
carat
color
clarity

How to Behave When Looking at Stones

tenyearanniversary

Shiny_Rock
Okay, I am excited to go look at stones today in the Diamond District and on Madison Ave.

My question is: aside from using my eyes, what else should I be doing while I'm looking today? I read all these terms I don't understand. Sarin, Idealscope, ASET??? Should I ask to see the stones I'm interested in under special instruments, machines, or ask for printouts of certain tests while I am there? I want to be able to ask your opinion when I get home!! Thanks for any help!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
I'll be waiting with you for one of our smart clinically oriented guys to come back with a best practices answer, for your very good question.

But, generally, what we see, and I saw in a recent video with Wink, is your shielding the diamond from routine light sources. Like he went to go stand literally where the edges of room, where two walls meet, putting the diamond between you and the wall like near your stomach, and with your facing the wall, looking down at the diamond to see what kind of light it throws off. More conventionally, putting the diamond under a case. The objective seems to remove ordinary light sources, and see how efficiently light is managed from it anyway.

The IS & ASET seem to be designed to do some of this heavy lifting for you, and are intended to provide a uniform and controlled lighting environment to each viewing.

Ira Z.

sth1971

Rough_Rock
10YR-

where are you going in the diamond district? i'm planning on going there later in the week. would love to hear about your experiences and recommendations!

thanks and good luck!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It honestly depends on which dealers you go to. If you go to the PS vendors on 47th - I.D. Jewelry, Diamonds by Lauren, or make an appointment with James Allen, a few blocks over - they'll know what you mean when you rattle all that off. Your average 47th street dealer, though? S/he will look at you like you've grown a second head.

I would order my own ASET, and figure out how to use it on the sample stone, if that is important to you: most dealers not only do not have them, they've never heard of them. I would also memorize the numbers on the cheat sheat for good cut parameters: please find it below;

depth - 60 - 62% - although my personal preference is to allow up to 62.4%
table - 54- 57%
crown angle - 34- 35 degrees
pavilion angle - 40.6- 41 degrees
girdle - avoid extremes, look for thin to slightly thick, thin to medium etc
polish and symmetry - very good and above

I would feel comfortable asking to use their loupes: I would feel comfortable asking to see certs, and, if you're a new buyer, I would insist on getting a certed stone from a reputable lab like GIA or AGS: it's just safer. Down the line, when you feel comfortable, it can be worth gambling on getting a deal if you feel really confident in your ability to gauge color, find inclusions, etc., but not right now, I think.

Also, how to put this ... prevailing attitude on the street can be kinda pushy. Don't take it as rudeness, and don't cave to it - it's just cultural, and it's generally well-intentioned. Excited to hear how your trip goes!

tenyearanniversary

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much all for your tips! My shopping trip has been postponed until Thursday....I will order the IdealScope......Which is going to take some confidence to use in front of the jeweler since I have no idea what I am doing....ahhh!!

So just checking, most of you would advise eliminating any stones that do not have the ideal proportions in the HCA table above?

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
tenyearanniversary|1316556169|3021635 said:
So just checking, most of you would advise eliminating any stones that do not have the ideal proportions in the HCA table above?

HCA is more radical, or simple, than the data above.

The data points above you can print and use to screen options out not included within. HCA fans would think that data is too restrictive, while conservative, which is saying the same thing. The HCA is looser, and allows data points outside the given range, based on corresponding other points, also outside the range.

I WOULD recommend getting a sympathetic store owner to fire up their computer, browser, and Pricescipe page, and input the certificate data into the HCA on this site. Or, if you have a smart phone, you don't need the cooperation of the store...you can just do it on the fly, yourself. But, any serious storekeep, who would understand that ultimately you'd be vetting your selection with the HCA...will allow you to use it while you're shopping. Or...they're stupid, since you'll do it anyway. You can tell them I said so.

Please understand, HCA sympathizers also know that reasonable use of an IS may supercede HCA use, so either an IS by itself, or in combination with the HCA is probably a best practice.

I think you'll have to find your way.

Ira Z.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
One warning .. you have to be ready that most jewelers will think you are nutty pulling out an ASET or Idealscope. You also need practice or else you don't really know what you are looking at.

Since you are there ... why not pay a visit to Leon Mege / Perry and ERD too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results