shape
carat
color
clarity

How to be sure?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blueme

Rough_Rock
Hi,
I am currently in the less than ideal situation of wanting to buy an engagement ring while living in Peru, where I don''t have access to any of the usual routes of choosing a jeweller, eg personal recommendation. I have found what seems to be a knowlegeable dealer with excellent prices, but have no idea if he is trustworthy.
The obvious answer is to get a diamond with a GIA certificate, a service which he offers. But how can I know that the certificate he is showing me was issued for the diamond in question? And are there any particular features I should look for on the certificate to check that it is genuine?

Thanks for your help

Chenny

Rough_Rock
I am no expert but there is a serial number imprinted on the diamond itself which should match the GIA certificate. Ask your jeweller to lend you his/her scopy thingy and try to match the numbers up...good luck!

Mikesgirl

Shiny_Rock
It's best to have an independent appraiser look at the stone (they aren't all inscribed with a cert number). The appraiser will be able to tell you if it is the stone on the cert based on carat weight, color, clarity, cut and the map of inclusions on the certificate. Inclusions are like fingerprints - no two stones are exactly alike.

magna2

Shiny_Rock
Do find an independent appraiser and have him confirm the diamond is as stated before purchase. If the jeweler selling you the diamond is not willing to have it sent to an appraiser of your choosing prior to your purchase then walk away from that jeweler. A honest jeweler will work with you to alleviate your concerns.

rodent.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results