shape
carat
color
clarity

How to assess oily/hasy quality in a strong blue fluorescence diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
We are considering a diamond with a Strong Blue Fluorescence. We have seen it under the strong lights at the jewelers and under regular white light when we had her to shut the bright lights off. We have not seen it in natural sunlight yet.

I think it is beautiful and the only substantial inclusion can easily be hidden under a prong. However, I am a little worried about buying it because of the strong blue fluor. I have spent almost 3 hours reading the past posts on this subject and we are leaning towards buying it but need a few more questions answered and some expert opinions from all you better informed buyers.

First, if this stone looks transparent to my eye inside the store what are the chances it will look hazy or oily in sunlight? And, is it common practice for jewelers to allow a customer to take a stone out of the building?

What should I be looking for exactly? Will I readily notice this hazy quality? What are all the lighting options I should check out before agreeing to buy?

Also, I read in a past post that diamonds with strong blue fluor can get a hazy/oily/dark look if it gets even a little dirty, is this true?

Finally, here are the specs . . . I would really LOVE to have your opinions. And THANK YOU in advance for any and all help you all can provide me.

1.07 carat round stone
G color
SI1 clarity
GIA graded
6.65-6.71 X 4.02
Very Good Cut
TBL 58%
TD 60.2%
CA 31.0
PA 41.6
ST 55
LH 80
Thin to Med
Cul - None
Polish - Very Good
Sym - Very Good
Fluor - Strong Blue
$5500

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Strong blue flour hardly ever causes a problem. Milkyness or a hazy appearance caused by flour is very uncommon.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
One more thing, I didn''t look at the cut specs on the last post. I am much less worried about the strong blue flour than I am about the cut specs of this diamond. The crown/pavillion angles are not optimal and the table is slightly too large.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
don''t worry about oily/ hazy.

the diamond in my avatar has beautiful blue fluorescence.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
1. compare it to another similar colored stone without fluoro as close as you can to a halogen light if there is no daylight.
Halogens have more uv than fluoro lights.

2. if you do look in daylight - look at it in shaded light - direct sunlight makes many diamonds look dark grey for a completely different reason

3. the main culpret here is the deep pavilion - it is too deep for the crown angle - if it was around 41.3 41.4 it would be a BIC - very bright.

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
My fiance and I looked at a princess cut diamond with great specs and strong blue flourescence. We couldn''t see any "milky" or cloudy effects until we saw a non-flourescence diamond under a loupe. The facets in the non-flouro were crisp and "clean" while the strong blue flouro just looked a little murky. But that might not be the case with all stones with flourescence. Some ladies on PS have stones with strong blue flouro and their stones look beautiful.

Just make sure to look at several stones, with and without flouro so you can see the difference (if any) for yourself.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Somewhere along the line you will be able to see the flourescent effect. You might not be bothered by it, but it will make the diamond look different to you and to anyone else looking at it in that lighting environment. I wear nearly a 2 carat round every day that is strongly blue flourescent and hazy. I thought it was a conversation piece and ialthough cut to "ideal" proportions it is a great example of why measurements do not tell the story of Light Return. It just isn[''t as brilliant as a clear diamond of the same proportions.

I happen to like the difference, but one could say my taste in diamonds for my personal use is way different than the average person who wants everyone to know their stone is a diamond and not a fake. Its what I''d call an "exotic" diamond and not the usual stone people would want to own. The cost of such odd diamonds is not much related to the majority of normal diamonds. Discounts for odd stones are large as their marketability is much more limited. Please take that into account when deciiding on such a diamond. Normal price of normal diamonds barely applies to odd stones and it is difficult to make price comparisons. If it is admittedly difficult for me, you know it will harder for you to do. Look at this diamond in sunlight BEFORE you decide to buy it.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Some folks own a diamond ring with various levels of fluorescence without knowing.

They are always surprised when it is pointed out to them, especially moderate to strong blue.

Most older appraisals never mentioned fluorescence and it wasn''t really a talking point with salespeople years ago.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all SO MUCH for your suggestions.
We will be sure to look at it in shaded sunlight, hopefully they will allow us to do that?
But, now I am concerned with the comments on the cut proportions not being good. I am still trying to learn and take in all this new information and sometimes I don''t notice the cut numbers . . .

for those of you that expressed concern with the cut, do you believe the price quoted for a diamong this size is worthwhile? I put the cut info into the HCA calculator and it said the diamond was a 2.5, worth buying if the price is right . . . so I guess I need to know if the price is right. Thank you again for all the helpful comments everyone, I am more and more impressed with PS everyday. :)

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

My B&M jeweler always allow me to take a diamond out of the building into natural light to inspect it. She comes with me of course!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/5/2006 2:23:19 PM
Author: hikerchick
Thank you all SO MUCH for your suggestions.
We will be sure to look at it in shaded sunlight, hopefully they will allow us to do that?
But, now I am concerned with the comments on the cut proportions not being good. I am still trying to learn and take in all this new information and sometimes I don''t notice the cut numbers . . .

for those of you that expressed concern with the cut, do you believe the price quoted for a diamong this size is worthwhile? I put the cut info into the HCA calculator and it said the diamond was a 2.5, worth buying if the price is right . . . so I guess I need to know if the price is right. Thank you again for all the helpful comments everyone, I am more and more impressed with PS everyday. :)
The price is normal for a well-cut 1 ct G SI1. You are not getting a very well proportioned, so that should be a discount. Further, strong blue is a discount in the market. HOWEVER, it is slightly spready and faces up a few points more than Tolk, as well as may look whiter due to fluor; both of which you may be willing to pay more for.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results