shape
carat
color
clarity

How to ask for a raise?

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
It has recently come to my attention that two newly-hired coworkers were given starting salaries approximately 5% higher than my current salary. I was a new hire last year. I did not negotiate my salary (but both of them say they didn’t negotiate theirs) as it was and still is more than acceptable. I have the same amount of experience as one and a year more than the other and we all work the same number of hours. I “own” a particular niche and section, which neither of them do. BUT, when they were hired we were in a hiring crunch so I’m sure that could have increased their offers somewhat.

Honestly, finding this out just makes me feel kind of crummy. Additionally, there was some discussion at a staff meeting about 8 months ago that we were changing some things in hopes of increasing starting salaries to attract new hires. The question was raised by someone else as to whether new hires would start higher than current employees and the answer was a very clear, “No.” So, obviously that got thrown out the window.

After finding this out, I want to ask for a raise. I’m not entirely sure how to go about it, though. Obviously, I’d start by sitting down with my boss and going through what I have done to add value (which is not insignificant) and then ask. Do I bring up that I know this information as well, or do I hold on to that for further negotiation if he doesn’t give me a raise? Any advice would be appreciated. I have actually never asked for a raise in almost 20 years in the workforce and I want to go about this the right way.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What kind of increase does your company give, if any, annually?

Do you get bonuses as well?

I'm only asking bc sometimes the increase plus bonus may offset what the new hires got for salaries.

Have you had your review yet?

I went into a review once with a salary dot come print out of my job title in my locale and showed my boss that other local companies were paying more and wanted them to take this into consideration. She asked if she could keep it (as her justification for her request to boost our salaries).

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
We got a productivity bonus (quarterly and year-end). There's some delay when you start in the bonuses (6 months) and the quarterly bonuses are not enough to make up that difference. They are bonus-eligible too, though.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless you saw the new hires' paychecks or verifiable company paperwork documenting each worker's salary, I wonder if the info you have is accurate?

How recently were the new employees hired?

Do you have a yearly review which will take place before the end of the year, or in the first quarter of the new year? If so, wait for your scheduled review as maybe management is already poised to correct the salary inequity. But be prepared to bring it up at the scheduled review if management does not address a raise with you.

If there is no regularly scheduled review coming up in the next six months, and you know for an absolute fact the new hires were brought in with a 5% higher salary as compared to you, then depending on the dates the new hires started, and your own anniversary hire date, I'd figure out an appropriate time to meet with your management.

At the meeting, I would be armed with market rates for new hires and experienced transfers for similar positions, and I would augment that with the additional niche experience you bring to your position. If you have the job responsibilities for your original position, and the job responsibilities for the new hires' position, use that info along with your on-the-job actual experience to highlight your expertise and effectiveness in the position.

Unless salaries are truly public knowledge in your workplace, I would not specifically name the new hires who are paid more than you; but I would refer to current starting salaries for same/similar position in your own company as compared to the current salaries for current workers in same/similar position. I also would want to be very, very sure the company salary info is undeniably accurate before I would ever include this point in any raise negotiation.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results