shape
carat
color
clarity

how to analyze the details?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sparklyforever

Shiny_Rock
okay - this weekend i am trying to learn/understand the cut, symmetry, etc... to understand how it affects the quality and a price.
i took this stone that was considerably less than some others.. and i want to see if i have figured out why.
is the depth% to large as well as the table% ?
also is the girdle somewhat thick to very thick?

cushion cut

Carat: 1.03
Color: G
Clarity: VS2
Measurement: 6.08x5.74x3.98
Depth %: 69.30
Table %: 67
Symmetry: VG
Polish: EX
Girdle: STK-VTK
Fluorescence: N

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Understanding cutting on cushions as well as the market dynamics of the diamond business is considerably more than a weekend chore but I imagine we can help start the process.

What’s the price?
What are the details of the stone you’re comparing to?
If either or both of these are online stones, can you post a link directly to the advertisement please?

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

sparklyforever

Shiny_Rock
i copied this from an online site.
i am not actually interested in this stone...
i just know that it''s value is less than comparable ones.
for example the
size,
color
clarity
are the same but this is a 3K+ ring as compared to say a 4K+ ring with the same size, color, clarity....

i have been at this for a while.. but this weekend chore is to try to gain a better understanding!
there really should be classes..........

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/6/2010 9:29:11 AM
Author: sparklyforever

i just know that it's value is less than comparable ones.

It’s PRICE is less than comparable ones. That’s why I asked for more details both in terms of what this one cost and what you are counting as comparable. Details matter in this business, as you have discovered. In terms of diamonds, the usual suspects for why a stone with similar sounding specs would be offered for a lower price are differences in the grading lab and accuracy (GIA & AGSL vs. others and variances within a particular lab), differences in the marketplace (online vs. B&M, discount vs. full service jeweler, dealer vs. private seller etc.) and differences in the cutting (light performance and optics). You haven't provided sufficient details to discuss ANY of these topics.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

sparklyforever

Shiny_Rock
understood
will do it again later...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results