shape
carat
color
clarity

How to accommodate babies at a wedding

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Anyone had to deal with this or have any suggestions they can pass my way...

My wedding and reception will be at a lake resort a few hours from my home town--therefore everyone will be coming from somewhere. Last night FI and I were discussing the kids issue. We are not inviting young kids and we don''t have any in the wedding party, but at least 4 of our guests that are coming from out of town (i.e. taking flights or long drives to get here) have infants that they can''t leave at home and will be staying with at the resort. These babies are all close to a year, and 2 are still breastfeeding. Is there anything I should/could do to help them out? Do I write "3 seats" have been reserved for you on the invitation, when really there will only be two and....? (i dunno, a highchair??) or do I just call them and see what they need?

For parents: would you bring an infant to a dinner/reception or split your time with your spouse so one can enjoy the festivities and one can look after the child? Is there anything you would expect the bride and groom to provide for you? I want to be as accommodating as possible...

Thanks everyone!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
First check if the resort has sitter services. They may have a list of bonded sitters that can take care of the infants in their parents'' rooms.

Babes in arms usually don''t require a high chair but I guess it depends on how old the baby is. If they have a sitter, they can run back and check on them between ceremony and reception.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
When I was breastfeeding my son I wouldn''t have been happy to leave him with anyone I didn''t know. My hubby and I used to take turns if we went anywhere.

I would ask your friends what will make them most comfortable - either arranging a sitting service or maybe just having a room allocated nearby if they need some privacy for feeding.

Maisie

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Thanks--a private room is a good idea....i wasn''t sure about sitters b/c i wouldn''t think they would want to leave their child with a stranger (i don''t think I would--but i am not a parent yet ;-) but i''ll look into it.

julie_b

Rough_Rock
I''ve been wondering about this too lately. I''m actually one of the younger ones on my side of the family, but my fiance''s side seems to have lots of little ones, many of them with twins! The problem for us is that he is from out of town, so all his family will be traveling here and there won''t really be anyone they can leave their kids with (at least family-wise) if everyone is here. His sister is one of my bridesmaids and they already have a 7 and 3 year old, and she actually just delivered twins yesterday! The two older ones will be in the wedding, but there is no way the twins will be left back in their city, especially since their parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents, and even his sister''s friends will be at the wedding. The place we are having the wedding doesn''t offer any kind of sitter service, so I''m guessing his family will be taking care of the kids, but I''m just worried that people won''t be able to enjoy themselves if they are watching the little ones. Luckily they all seem to be very well behaved kids (most of them are within the 1-7 age range, plus the new additions), so one can only hope things will go smoothly. It probably helps for us that the wedding and reception will be pretty informal and laid back. I''ve also asked if there is anything they''ll be needing that might make things easier, but they all have (so far) said no. Lol, I''m probably worrying too much about it myself, but I just want to make sure his family is having a good time, especially since they are having to travel up here.

cara

Ideal_Rock
If you can swing it look to hire a nanny service. The one I looked into for weddings was very professional and would bring crayons and toys etc. BUT would only watch babies that were actually sleeping. So it would be useful to have that option for the parents if they can get the little one to sleep at some point, but generally the parents are going to have to alternate. Dont think they need a high chair or a meal at all. The catering services I spoke to said that under 2 they don''t even do kids meals or proper place settings, they''ll just eat off the parents plate or the servers will bring out a little plate of X if the parents request it.

Kit

Brilliant_Rock
Yes! I will be having this same problem too. Babies, infants, toddlers...oh my! Proably around 10 kids under 4. This is what happens when you get married in your 30s, I figure.

My primary concern is that I don''t want a baby or small child erupting into screaming tears and causing a rucus during our very short ceremony. I figure, this is a reasonable request on my part. However I agree that those breastfeeding and with infants are not going to want to drop off their kid with a sitter upstairs, if even for 30 minutes.

I plan to talk individually with those guests who have young kids and work out something with them case by case. It will be a bit of an ordeal I am sure, since some are so emotional about their kids, but as long as I can say my vows in peace and quiet it will be worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results