shape
carat
color
clarity

How thin is too thin of band?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

catlwade

Rough_Rock
Hi,

My BF and I are getting a ring custom made. I am getting a round bezel setting on a thin band. We picked out the bezel and band in a catalogue, and they will put them together with a couple of custom touches.

The band is coming in a 3mm size, and I told the woman I know I love a thinner band, and that I wanted 2mm for sure. She is trying to talk me out of it. She is the one who makes the jewelry and says a 2mm band is not practical because it may break over time.

Is this true???? I know a ton of people are into thin bands now, and I love how delicate they look - any thoughts?
I KNOW I do not want a 3mm band - my ring size is only a 4,and I want a little delicate ring! But, is a 2mm not sturdy enough?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is it going to be a solitaire? Or contain pave?

Mine is a plain 2mm bezel solitaire, and it's been fine for over 3 years. I think you need to ensure that your benchperson is able to create a structurally sound 2mm shank, and that includes the thickness (mine is a hair over 1.2mm high), not only the width, of the shank.

Hope that helps!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
So you are getting something like the Jazz band?

I think WF makes a 2 mm version of that band (might save you money and time just to go though them if that''s what you want). I have a vintage band from the 1950''s that''s about 2 mm set with near bezeled baguettes, worn everyday and it hasn''t "broken"... I think it depends on the skill of the jeweler and the materials. I think if you are talking die struck... you can go very thin. If you are talking cast, a little less probably. But 2 mm doesn''t sound like too thin does to me 1.7 or less maybe, for everyday, if it''s pierced and set with diamonds. Maybe you just need a different jeweler, or maybe it''s the design... hard to tell.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I have a 1.8mm solitaire and it is really study. It is thin but it is built up slightly in the height to give it support.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2009 1:57:08 AM
Author: swingirl
If a bench person is trying to talk you out of something it''s probably because they are the one''s uncomfortable making it. Leon Megé makes most of his bands 2mm and I''ve never heard of one breaking. But he has the skill to make them that thin. http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=352

he even makes them at 1.5mm wide. http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=336
I agree with this. Usually it means they don''t have the expertise or skill to pull it off.
It does depend on the design a bit (diamonds or no diamonds), but there are plenty of 2mm and less rings around here - I have never heard of one breaking.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I haven''t heard of a 2 mm band being too thin, so this would be a first. If she''s the one who''s telling you she doesn''t want to make it 2mm, that would be a good indication that she''s not able to do that. I think I would look for someone else.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Hi Cat

Stick to your guns because i too wanted a really thin delicate band for my little finger. (it''s a ''h'' size, not too sure what that is in the US) anyway the jeweller wouldn''t allow it (for the same strength reasons) and i had to have the size they said.

Anyway... i hate it. It''s waaaay too thick (3mm) for my little finger and there''s no way i am going to be able to wear a wedding and eternity band on it too.

When the time comes to buy the wedding rings i am planning on going somewhere else.. to someone who will make me a thin band and i am going to get my e ring band changed!!

So don''t let them talk you out of what you really whant.. i did, and i REALLY regret it.
8.gif

3cd4her

Rough_Rock
I was having some troubles finding the ring I wanted with a 2mm shank and it''s true that a number of stores told me that 2mm would not be possible for what I wanted, while others said it was possible. After working with WF they reviewed my requirements and said it could be done! CUSTOM RING w/ 2mm BAND

So it seems that someone will only say no if they can''t guarantee it or do not feel comfortable with their craftsmanship at those requirements. Talk to a bunch of vendors and find one that can get you what you want or at least try their best rather than just say it''s just not possible. I can''t recommend WF enough right now, but some of the other PS vendors were great too.

catlwade

Rough_Rock
The band is plain - no diamonds. I AM sticking to my guns on this one! I do not wan to hate my E-ring, and I just don''t love anything bigger than 2mm on my finger! If she won''t make it that small I guess I will have to go elsewhere, which will make me a little frustrated.

We have been looking around since September, and I am just ready to have this thing MADE!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No reason whatsoever not to have a 2mm platinum plain shank.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2009 2:52:59 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006

agreed. you might consider getting your ring somewhere else if your jeweler does not feel comfortable making it.

vanessa_b

Rough_Rock
My band is extremely thin, about 1-1.2 mm. I have a size 4 finger and I love the way the delicate band looks. (Here is a link to my ring.) I think I might be pushing my luck with such a thin band, but I haven''t had any problems with it yet. You should be fine with 2mm.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2009 2:52:59 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Ditto. Mine is 2.1 and it's perfect and STURDY. I spoke to 5 very experienced jewelers (PS recommended) and NONE of them had a problem with my request for a 2 mm plain shank for my halo setting.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My friend has been wearing a 2mm gold band for almost 29 years and it is still very sturdy, she even had it sized up a 1/2 size 2 years ago and it didnt hurt it a bit, 2mm would be just fine
2.gif

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
There is no absolute number below which a ring is too thin to be safe, since "safe" is a relative term.
Thinner is weaker.
Thicker is stronger.

Even a thick ring can be damaged by a large stress, and a thin ring may never be damaged if never encounters enough stress.

Personally I think it is not a good idea to make the thin rings that are popular today.
An expensive diamond warrants a more secure setting.

To me the fragile appearance makes them less beautiful.
When I see one I imagine it being bent by a firm handshake.

My 2 cents.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine is just slightly over 1mm and I''ve worn it for 14 years - I also wear a size 4 and love something delicate. In all those years it did break once when I picked up a bucket of balls at the driving range; I dropped it off at the jeweler and had it back on my hand in a couple days - no additional metal was needed to repair it, btw.

catlwade

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the feedback! I am feeling more and more confident standing up to my jeweler about the 2mm!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2009 5:33:48 PM
Author: catlwade
Thanks for all the feedback! I am feeling more and more confident standing up to my jeweler about the 2mm!
The idea is DON''T force your jeweler to make want they don''t have the skill to make. Find a vendor who is skilled and comfortable with your request.

catlwade

Rough_Rock
Yes, you are right. We are getting our diamond at this place, and really wanted to have the setting and diamond bought at the same place - they have the best prices I have seen in Indianapolis. I am just so sick of looking around!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2009 9:03:44 PM
Author: swingirl

Date: 2/21/2009 5:33:48 PM
Author: catlwade
The idea is DON'T force your jeweler to make want they don't have the skill to make. Find a vendor who is skilled and comfortable with your request.

Ditto swingirl.

Sometimes there is a reason for the what seems like 'best pricing'... unfortunately the fact is you often get exactly what you pay for... so instead of getting 'best pricing' you are getting 'lower' pricing, which corresponds to 'lower' quality/skill/talent.

This issue is a red flag, an opportunity to stop and think "why is their pricing so low" in comparison... not an opportunity to force someone into doing something beyond their skills.

Be careful.

Daisi2112

Shiny_Rock
Nah. 2mm is totally practical in my opinion. My E-Ring is just a hair over 2mm... and it''s just fine :)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
2/21/2009 12:22:13 AM
Author:catlwade

The band is coming in a 3mm size, and I told the woman I know I love a thinner band, and that I wanted 2mm for sure. She is trying to talk me out of it. She is the one who makes the jewelry and says a 2mm band is not practical because it may break over time.

catlwade, I strongly recommend that you read this thread about the strength of thin bands. My band is thin, but deep (it is custom made) and it is very strong. I hope that the thread to which I provided a link is helpful!

Deborah
34.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am going to post an overview of my solitaire and a side view so that you can see that although the band is thin, it is deep. Its depth gives it strength.

Deborah
34.gif

RepeatSolitaire.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the side view.

Deborah
34.gif

SideViewOfSolitaire1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results