shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it possible to get a solitaire thinner than 2mm?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
And if there is, can you point me towards it?
9.gif
I want something very thin since it will be sitting between two bands.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Monkey, I''m not positive but I think Ritani may offer 1.8mm shanks.
The only thing is, I personally wouldn''t like to go under 2mm for structural and security reasons, ya know? Do you think you will ever wear it without the bands?

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/5/2008 10:22:47 PM
Author: arjunajane

The only thing is, I personally wouldn''t like to go under 2mm for structural and security reasons, ya know? Do you think you will ever wear it without the bands?

I plan to get the solitaire and one band soldered together and leave one loose so I can wear it alone if I want to...think that would help?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
1.8 is about as thin as I''ve seen...and even then keep in mind that in order to be strong enough it is a bit higher on the sides. Ritani is like this.

Thinner than that and it would just bend like a toothpick I''d think!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Ok, now that I see the "Mangled Leon" thread I''m concerned, even though I am not a door-slammer lol. But I can''t find anything that gives me a dang price - these kind of websites drive me nuts and I live so far away from any stores that I would never be able to go SEE them
7.gif

So, maybe the question should be," Where can I find a fairly thin cathedral setting for a princess cut?" Lol.

heb1976

Shiny_Rock

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/5/2008 11:03:19 PM
Author: heb1976
Date: 7/5/2008 10:18:00 PM

Author:MonkeyPie

And if there is, can you point me towards it?
9.gif
I want something very thin since it will be sitting between two bands.
Hi, monkeypie, here is diamondnut''s thread w/ a 1.6mm shank solitaire by Leon... https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-2-51-e-vs1-upgrade-in-a-leon-setting-is-here.81001/

I have a halo solitaire from Leon that is 1.6-1.7mm and it seems very sturdy. Were you looking for a pave type band or a plain band?

Oohh pretty!
I preferrably want something very plain, very simple. All I really want for it is cathedral so it will sit above the little princess cut u-prong bands I got. While I wouldn''t mind a blingy band, I think I have enough bling for now
20.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
7/5/2008 10:56:01 PM

Author:
MonkeyPie

OMG. Where on earth did you get it? has it bent at all? That was way thinner than I thought possible.

I designed it to look like my original engagement ring, which was a gold oval with two 1-point diamonds sitting inside the oval. The original ring had a knife edge, invisible looking, band and was very, very delicate. I had this ring made up by my local jeweler in Stamford, Connecticut. (Rupert at Grunberger Jewelers executed it.) It is very strong. It has not bent. If you look at it from the side you will see why!

A former poster made a collage of pictures of the solitaire and its jackets up for me; the collage is in this thread if you want to see a couple more photos.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-the-most-beautiful-solitaire-setting.69074/page-2

Deb
34.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/5/2008 11:06:16 PM
Author: AGBF

I designed it to look like my original engagement ring, which was a gold oval with two 1-point diamonds sitting inside the oval. The original ring had a knife edge, invisible looking, band and was very, very delicate. I had this ring made up by my local jeweler in Stamford, Connecticut. (Rupert at Grunberger Jewelers executed it.) It is very strong. It has not bent. If you look at it from the side you will see why!

A former poster made a collage of pictures of the solitaire and its jackets up for me; the collage is in this thread if you want to see a couple more photos.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-the-most-beautiful-solitaire-setting.69074/page-2

That''s really amazing AGBF...I may have to look into that, but if I have to go the custom route I probably won''t do it right now. Maybe in the future :)

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
That is a very interesting ring, AGBF!
I absolutely love it!
May I ask how high it sits, to keep its strength? Do you have any profile shots?

ETA: Monkey Pie, it seems like such a simple design... even though it was custom, perhaps something similar won't cost much more than a more elaborate off the shelf design!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/5/2008 10:26:51 PM
Author: MonkeyPie

Date: 7/5/2008 10:22:47 PM
Author: arjunajane

I plan to get the solitaire and one band soldered together and leave one loose so I can wear it alone if I want to...think that would help?
Hmm..I guess so. But will the soldering then ruin the look of the really thin band you''re going for?
No surprise, I am a fan of the Legato Sleek lines from WF - I think the standard is 2mm, but they were open to customisation with my project. Perhaps you could enquire whether they can do it with 1.8? (if you like the style of course). I think it fits what you have described - simple but still pretty.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Oh nice! Unfortunatly I can''t afford a Leon...darn. I think with the way I am seeing things here I may as well just look for a 2mm, though I am going to see if I can find someone willing to make one a bit smaller. Thanks ladies :)

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
MonkeyPie, I don''t know what your budget is but FF got a recent quote from LM and it was really reasonable for a simple solitaire: in platinum $1700.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
7/6/2008 12:01:53 AM

Author:
LaraOnline

I absolutely love it!
May I ask how high it sits, to keep its strength? Do you have any profile shots?

ETA: Monkey Pie, it seems like such a simple design... even though it was custom, perhaps something similar won't cost much more than a more elaborate off the shelf design!

Thank you for asking about the ring, Lara. I do not know how high it is offhand. I am sure that I have some profile shots somewhere. Right now I have to get rid of a computer virus, then, perhaps, I can think about the ring. Right now, the computer keeps shutting down as I write! I have to call Microsoft!

Deb
34.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/7/2008 12:31:11 AM
Author: Deelight
MonkeyPie, I don''t know what your budget is but FF got a recent quote from LM and it was really reasonable for a simple solitaire: in platinum $1700.
Unfortunatly, I only have about 1k to work with, and everything thats left can go towards a nicer diamond. Maybe in WG it is less? Doesn''t Lean require you to send them your stone to set it though? I''d really rather not, especially since I won''t have my stone until after I find the setting.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
AJ asked for a quote in gold and it was the same price regardless of metal.

Yes he does require you send him the stone and he works from that.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/7/2008 9:55:38 AM

Date:
7/6/2008 12:01:53 AM

Author:
LaraOnline

I absolutely love it!

ETA: Monkey Pie, it seems like such a simple design... even though it was custom, perhaps something similar won''t cost much more than a more elaborate off the shelf design!

Thank you for asking about the ring, Lara. I do not know how high it is offhand. I am sure that I have some profile shots somewhere. Right now I have to get rid of a computer virus, then, perhaps, I can think about the ring. Right now, the computer keeps shutting down as I write! I have to call Microsoft!

Deb

34.gif

Oooh, I hope you get back online and post profile pics soon, AGBF! Hope you can shake that virus easily!
2.gif

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
How big is the stone you''re planning to set? Not only should the shank adequately support the stone you''re looking for, but it should also be able to withstand normal wear.

The thinner you go, the more vulnerable your ring is to incurring a blow (happens during moving, opening windows, all kinds of everyday things) that might compromise the integrity of the structure.

Soldering it to one of the bands may help, but you should really have a chat with your vendor and get his expert input on it, too.
1.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
"Depth" is commonly increased when "width" is decreased. It helps keep the ring structurally sound, and can make very attractive rings, IMO.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/7/2008 11:12:36 AM

Date: 7/7/2008 12:31:11 AM
Author: Deelight
Unfortunatly, I only have about 1k to work with, and everything thats left can go towards a nicer diamond. Maybe in WG it is less? Doesn''t Lean require you to send them your stone to set it though? I''d really rather not, especially since I won''t have my stone until after I find the setting.
Hi again MonkeyPie - considering your budget, I would suggest WF''s settings. I don''t think for their pricing you can beat the quality.
Not sure if you saw my suggestion above, but the Legato is simple and pretty, and they may be able to do it in 1.8mm for you.
I had a similiar budget for my setting, and ended up coming in under with WF @ $750 for the Legato in 18k gold.

With re. to sending your stone off, I know it might sound hard, but I think you will find most well regarded vendors will require to have the stone to "build" the setting around. Its really to your advantage, as then the ring will be the perfect fit!

I hope you find something you''re happy with - can you start with the diamond first? This seems more logical.
1.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
arjunajane, we are in the process of getting the diamond exchanged. (Thankfully we were able to!) It should be just around the 1 carat range like the emerald cut was, EC''s tend to cost more than a princess cut. The husband is only letting me know the stats of stones because he is rather insistent I don''t know it''s price
20.gif

While $750 for a quality setting is not that bad, and I''d love to have WF setting, I really wanted to go less. I know WF gets to charge quite a bit more than I have ever paid for a setting before because of the name and reputation, but I cringe at the thought of spending a big chunk on something so simple. My original setting was elaborate and cost about as much as your setting :/ Yes, I know, I should be willing to pay for quality, but I really have to scrounge and work hard for what I can buy, so the thought of spending it all on one tiny thing kills me.
39.gif

I think I''m just being difficult and cheap. DH says I can have whatever I want within budget, but all I see is a bill paid off with what''s leftover...lol.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
7/7/2008 10:11:16 PM

Author:
Lynn B

'Depth' is commonly increased when 'width' is decreased. It helps keep the ring structurally sound, and can make very attractive rings, IMO.

Lynn B nailed it as far as my ring is concerned! My ring is quite sound structurally, not at all fragile. It is extremely deep. If one looks at it straight on, the band is nearly invisible. From the side, one can see that the shank has considerable substance. The challenge I face now is how to post pictures without my software. I may have to wait until I am in Virginia to put up any new photos. (My virus appears to be gone.)

Deborah
34.gif

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/8/2008 9:38:47 AM

Date:
7/7/2008 10:11:16 PM

Author:
Lynn B

''Depth'' is commonly increased when ''width'' is decreased. It helps keep the ring structurally sound, and can make very attractive rings, IMO.

Lynn B nailed it as far as my ring is concerned! My ring is quite sound structurally, not at all fragile. It is extremely deep. If one looks at it straight on, the band is nearly invisible. From the side, one can see that the shank has considerable substance. The challenge I face now is how to post pictures without my software. I may have to wait until I am in Virginia to put up any new photos. (My virus appears to be gone.)

Deborah

34.gif

standing by AGBF
2.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/8/2008 12:16:14 AM
arjunajane, we are in the process of getting the diamond exchanged. (Thankfully we were able to!) It should be just around the 1 carat range like the emerald cut was, EC''s tend to cost more than a princess cut. The husband is only letting me know the stats of stones because he is rather insistent I don''t know it''s price
20.gif

While $750 for a quality setting is not that bad, and I''d love to have WF setting, I really wanted to go less. I know WF gets to charge quite a bit more than I have ever paid for a setting before because of the name and reputation, but I cringe at the thought of spending a big chunk on something so simple. My original setting was elaborate and cost about as much as your setting :/ Yes, I know, I should be willing to pay for quality, but I really have to scrounge and work hard for what I can buy, so the thought of spending it all on one tiny thing kills me.
39.gif

I think I''m just being difficult and cheap. DH says I can have whatever I want within budget, but all I see is a bill paid off with what''s leftover...lol.
I understand sweetheart, I hope you find what you''re looking for soon.
I guess for me the price of the WF setting seems really actually pretty cheap, especially considering the quality.

Where i live, $750 wouldn''t buy me jack, and certainly not a nice ring from a good company.

But I understand jewellery is chaeper for you guys in the US for watevs reason - so jealous! So I can see how $750 could be considered high for a plain setting then.
5.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results