shape
carat
color
clarity

How strong of magnification do I need to see the number inscribed on diamond?

Iwanttosparkle

Shiny_Rock
I would like to be able to read the AGS report number inscribed on my diamond. Would I be able to do this with a loupe? Or would it take a microscope? If I could do it with a loupe, could you please recommend me one in the strength that I would need? (Amazon would be great if at all possible, for convenience sake) Thank you!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
20x loupe for inscriptions on the girdle.
40x needed to see Tiffany inscriptions on the crown facets (don't ask me why they do it there).

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
I think at least 20x ... also it’s good to keep in mind that the inscription is incredibly small. It took me a long time to find it the first time just because I expected it to be bigger ... it’s a lot easier now that I know what to look for.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
10x but requires practice.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
20x typically.

DK :))

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tried with 30x. I could see it but couldnt make it all out:shock:. I would definitely need a microscope or a younger pair of eyes:ugeek:!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
For most people with normal eyesight, or a LOT of experience using a loupe, I recommend 30X. The few people I know who can do it with 10X are young or have a lot of experience using a loupe. I discovered years ago that it is much easier using a scope, but then I have one in the office.

Wink

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
As you can imagine we read A LOT of inscriptions! The size of the stone is a big variable here. The height of the girdle largely determines the font size. I find stones in the 1.50 + range typically pretty easy to read with 10x, whereas a .30ct stone definitely requires 20x.

Higher power is challenging to use because the focal range is very narrow. You have to develop a good loupe technique to steady your hand, and you need to position yourself properly with a good light source.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You have to develop a good loupe technique to steady your hand, and you need to position yourself properly with a good light source.
Great point Bryan!
The part about having a goog light source is super important. You'll need to position the diamond so that the light hits the inscription at the right angle. Also a good point about stone and girdle size. Also the shape and cutting style.
Sometimes I can see the number reflected on a facet through the table on OMB or Cushion Brilliant stones!

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
As you can imagine we read A LOT of inscriptions! The size of the stone is a big variable here. The height of the girdle largely determines the font size. I find stones in the 1.50 + range typically pretty easy to read with 10x, whereas a .30ct stone definitely requires 20x.

Higher power is challenging to use because the focal range is very narrow. You have to develop a good loupe technique to steady your hand, and you need to position yourself properly with a good light source.

This makes me laugh because of what I did......when I first got my .44 Fancy Intense Green Yellow, I could easily read the inscription with a 10X and kept thinking "my eyes aren't that great. How bad are everyone else's that keeps recommending a 20X or 30X?" Well, I took it in to be set in a ring, and when I got it back, I could see that the inscription was there, with a 10X, but couldn't begin to read it. I hadn't paid any attention to the fact that the inscription was black when I got it, but the coloring had been cleaned off. :oops:

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This makes me laugh because of what I did......when I first got my .44 Fancy Intense Green Yellow, I could easily read the inscription with a 10X and kept thinking "my eyes aren't that great. How bad are everyone else's that keeps recommending a 20X or 30X?" Well, I took it in to be set in a ring, and when I got it back, I could see that the inscription was there, with a 10X, but couldn't begin to read it. I hadn't paid any attention to the fact that the inscription was black when I got it, but the coloring had been cleaned off. :oops:
Yes, that's another good point. A newly inscribed stone will have some vaporized carbon imbedded in the inscription making it like a bolded font. After a good cleaning it will be removed, leaving only the etched letters/numbers with much less contrast. It then becomes even more important to position the light at an angle that allows the inscription to be seen in relief.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would use minimum 20x loupe, but as magnification goes up, field depth goes down so you will need to get up real close. Microscope would be my preferred option.

tysaval

Rough_Rock
Trade
I have a 40 X Magnifier and I’m having troubles do I need to go up higher to a 60X

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have a 40 X Magnifier and I’m having troubles do I need to go up higher to a 60X

You do NOT need super high magnification to see inscriptions. A 10x loupe is usually sufficient, if you are practiced with a loupe. Higher power loupes are very difficult to use because of narrow depth of field. The trick is getting the loupe stabilized in your hand. Putting your elbows on a table and connecting your two hands in some way helps a lot. A microscope makes it real easy, and you can use a little higher magnification without having a problem of image stability and moving in and out of the depth of field with small movements of the hand holding the diamond.

Inscriptions are usually smaller or larger depending on the girdle thickness. So large stones are usually much easier to read than inscriptions on small stones (or stones with very thin girdles).

Also, when first inscribed the numbers/letters will be black, having some residual carbon in the inscription. The contrast makes the inscriptions easier to locate and to read. Ultrasonic and/or steam cleaning can remove the black, leaving just the white on white etching of the inscription. This makes it a bit more challenging to read.

tysaval

Rough_Rock
Trade
You do NOT need super high magnification to see inscriptions. A 10x loupe is usually sufficient, if you are practiced with a loupe. Higher power loupes are very difficult to use because of narrow depth of field. The trick is getting the loupe stabilized in your hand. Putting your elbows on a table and connecting your two hands in some way helps a lot. A microscope makes it real easy, and you can use a little higher magnification without having a problem of image stability and moving in and out of the depth of field with small movements of the hand holding the diamond.

Inscriptions are usually smaller or larger depending on the girdle thickness. So large stones are usually much easier to read than inscriptions on small stones (or stones with very thin girdles).

Also, when first inscribed the numbers/letters will be black, having some residual carbon in the inscription. The contrast makes the inscriptions easier to locate and to read. Ultrasonic and/or steam cleaning can remove the black, leaving just the white on white etching of the inscription. This makes it a bit more challenging to read.

Thank you for the information. It took me a while but I found it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results