shape
carat
color
clarity

How soon should I start really shopping?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

J-Sun

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I''ve been lurking around here for a couple months now (and learning a lot), but this is my first post.
35.gif

I decided to start saving up for a ring back in November. I''ve been doing lots of research since then via a couple books and the internet to make sure I''m educated well in advance of the actual shopping. I want to save up as much as possible before shopping, but I don''t want to wait too long. I plan on purposing on May 14th. The question is, when should I start hitting the stores to really begin shopping? I don''t know for sure, but assume I''m getting a custom made setting to make sure I have enough time if I decide to go that route.

A quick note about me, my girl, and the ring. We met through an internet dating website. May 14th, 2004 is the date that that I first emailed her, hence why I''m purposing on that date. I wanted something signifigant, but not a usual date like her birthday or our aniversary. I''m going to get her a princess cut, around the .8 range, set in platinum.

Thanks for any help you can give.

J-Sun

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
35.gif

Welcome!
I''m proposing May 13th!! On Sanibel, Florida--we''re moving to Fort Myers when we graduate so it only made sense to do it while we''re on vacation. I started learning about diamonds back in september, and i just bought a .77ct. from GOG and it will be here tomorrow--but i like to get things out of the way ya know. Good luck on the 14th, not that you''ll need it
2.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think as soon as you are ready. Diamond prices are only going up so if you have the funds, I''d go ahead and get the ball rolling. May will be here before you know it
1.gif

Garysax

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/8/2006 5:46:01 PM
Author:J-Sun
Hi all,

I''ve been lurking around here for a couple months now (and learning a lot), but this is my first post.
35.gif

I decided to start saving up for a ring back in November. I''ve been doing lots of research since then via a couple books and the internet to make sure I''m educated well in advance of the actual shopping. I want to save up as much as possible before shopping, but I don''t want to wait too long. I plan on purposing on May 14th. The question is, when should I start hitting the stores to really begin shopping? I don''t know for sure, but assume I''m getting a custom made setting to make sure I have enough time if I decide to go that route.

A quick note about me, my girl, and the ring. We met through an internet dating website. May 14th, 2004 is the date that that I first emailed her, hence why I''m purposing on that date. I wanted something signifigant, but not a usual date like her birthday or our aniversary. I''m going to get her a princess cut, around the .8 range, set in platinum.

Thanks for any help you can give.

J-Sun

These things take time. I would start now, start looking for that perfect stone. The more time you have, the pickier you can be in looking for just the right stone. Which is good thing--you don''t want to be stuck with a stone you''re second guessing. I wish I had started, say, 2-4 weeks earlier personally.

Rhapsody

Shiny_Rock
I would say start ASAP. It took us about a month to find the stone, and over 3 months to get the semi-custom setting done. When doing custom work you have to anticipate the possibility of problems and leave yourself a bit of extra time.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree I would start right away. My FI had the ring months before he proposed. I think it is one less thing to stress about if you a have it early rather than HOPING it will get here in time.

paulsiu

Rough_Rock
Keep in mind that for certain rings, the stone has to be sent to the manufacturer. In those situations, you''ll have to wait 4-6 weeks. You shoud buffer in that time just in case.

Paul

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
Hi J-sun,

I am assuming you want your proposal to be a suprize, rather than a shock!

What I mean is....do you know what kind of ering she would like? If you are worried about spoiling the suprize by digging for clues, then buy the best diamond you can afford, but put it in a plain classic setting (which she might even like). It gives her the chance to pick her own custom setting later, which is much better than being stuck with a ring that you don''t like. (getting the right ring is a big deal to us gals)

Just my 2c
35.gif

J-Sun

Rough_Rock
I was afraid that everyone was gonna say "now". Let''s assume that''s not feasable, can someone give me an actual time frame of how long I should allow before my intended date? I understand the more time the better, but I''m *still* saving up money.

Also, if I did buy now, would I not end up screwed if my girl didn''t like the setting? I''d be way past most places return policy''s

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you are doing a custom project I''d try to purchase 4-6 weeks out at the latest..my custom project was supposed to take 2 weeks and ended taking for due to some unexpected circumanstances. So you should build in some time. The other option you have, which I highly recommmend if your GF will not be involved in the process is to purchase the stone and have it placed in a temp. setting for the proposal. then you and she can pick the setting together and you can be 100% sure of her ring size.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2006 3:00:10 PM
Author: mrssalvo
I highly recommmend if your GF will not be involved in the process is to purchase the stone and have it placed in a temp. setting for the proposal. then you and she can pick the setting together and you can be 100% sure of her ring size.

I think that is a great idea. My setting also too 6 weeks but if you just put it in a simple solitare than that will save you some time and money.

Garysax

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/9/2006 2:55:04 PM
Author: J-Sun
I was afraid that everyone was gonna say ''now''. Let''s assume that''s not feasable, can someone give me an actual time frame of how long I should allow before my intended date? I understand the more time the better, but I''m *still* saving up money.

Also, if I did buy now, would I not end up screwed if my girl didn''t like the setting? I''d be way past most places return policy''s

If you''re really worried about the setting, go with the advice above and buy a nice cheap, elegant temp setting and let her know that you''d like to start searching for an ering for her. That''s what I would do; you don''t want to get something she doesn''t like.

J-Sun

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/9/2006 3:00:10 PM
Author: mrssalvo
If you are doing a custom project I''d try to purchase 4-6 weeks out at the latest..my custom project was supposed to take 2 weeks and ended taking for due to some unexpected circumanstances. So you should build in some time. The other option you have, which I highly recommmend if your GF will not be involved in the process is to purchase the stone and have it placed in a temp. setting for the proposal. then you and she can pick the setting together and you can be 100% sure of her ring size.
Okay this helps a little more. I''m not 100% sure I''m getting a custom setting yet. I''ve looked at all kinds of setting on the internet, but the ones I *really* like are too much money. What I kinda have in mind is a platinum ring, X prong setting, 2 channel set princess stones on each side in the band, and a suprise diamond under the center stone on the other sides.

Based on a conversation me and the GF had recently, I don''t know that she''d want a temp setting. We were talking and somehow her ring size came up and she thought I knew it because I bought her a ring for Christmas in 2004 and I went with her to size, she thought I''d remember from then... I didn''t pay attention so right now I have no idea what it is. She asked how I was ever gonna get her an engagement ring if I didn''t know her size (nevermind that she wouldn''t tell me her size while we were talking about it, haha). But anyways, during this exchange, she mentioned that when she does get a ring, she doesn''t want to have to take it to get sized because she''ll be wanting to wear it right away.

I emailed her best friend to enlist her help, but she wasn''t able to get any information from my girl w/o being obvious about it. I really want it to be a suprise and I really want it to be something she''ll love and be able to wear right away. *sigh* I just don''t know what to do
33.gif

BTW, I do at least have a plan for getting her ring size before buying any ring. She wears the other ring I got her on her ring finger on her right hand and it''s the same size on both hands. She takes that ring off when she''s sleeping, so I''ll get the size then. Shouldn''t be a problem.

Garysax

Shiny_Rock
There you go, that'll work. Just grab that ring and put it on a sizer.

As for the other thing, that she doesn't want a temp setting... You can wear a temp setting just fine! It looks great, usually very classic and unadorned.

In addition, if you decide you need to get a full setting, well, my personal feeling (as a guy) is that it's open season on whatever you like/think she likes once she tells you to just surprise her with anything. I would be really annoyed if she then told you about how much she dislikes the setting once you get her the e-ring after that, that just seems unfair. I'd be irritated if she wanted to get a different setting after that.
29.gif

paulsiu

Rough_Rock
I think you need to do some research before you start:

1. What is her ring size, look at what she is wearing for sizing. Remember that left and right hand often have different sizes.
2. You need to figure out picky she is. Some women aren''t picky at all, so you can freely determine ring style and jewel. Once you have some idea of what you want, then you can do an estimate on time.

In my case, my girlfriend turned to be very particular, so I had to enlist her aid on it. It somewhat ruin the surprise element, but better than spending all that money for a wrong setting.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results