shape
carat
color
clarity

How small of an asscher is too small?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
All the wonderful asscher pics lately have made me reconsider if I should add asschers to my wishlist.
Asscher was the first (and only) diamond cut that ever took my breath away, but I''ve only ever seen them in large sizes (2-3 carats). So I really don''t know how they look in smaller sizes.
33.gif

The thing is, we can''t afford anything much over .40 carat, maybe up to a .49 carat if we wait. Is this going to be too small for a single asscher center stone all by it''s lonesome? (no sidestones or halos, although I love lauren''s ring). I''m thinking an x-prong style setting.

Also will finding a beautiful asscher diamond that size be a serious quest?
40.gif
My bf is not up to a major diamond hunt. And I''m positive he doesn''t even know that diamonds come in anything other than round. Yet he''s determined to have it be a surprise.
20.gif
Which is romantic, if a little nerve-wracking.

So in an effort to make things as painless as humanly possible, I''ve been storing diamonds as well as diamond/ring combos in wf''s wishlist for him to go look at when phd h@ll clears up next month. (there''s a real chance that giving him the password was our last communication about the ring). I''m trying to make sure that there is enough near-budget variety in there for him to feel like he''s making the choice. Should I add in some .39 -.49 asschers? Are they too small? Or will it just be too demanding for a complete diamond novice who''s low on free time?
What do you guys think?
35.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
5x5mm seems to be the min size for being able to appreciate the patterning, windmills, and "falling" effect. Cinderella has a .88 Asscher, which I can't find right now.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
'Seen some very nice rings with asschers under half a carat. I am not sure if we like the same style or anything, but in tension settings these little guys looked right at home. No example of that sort comes to mind online, but there is this bit that may stand proof that 40 pts step squares make good looking rings.
2.gif

I would be looking for a less deep cut one (say, around 60%), with somewhat larger table than it would be nicest for a larger diamond (around 65% or more). But.. whatever turns in looking good is just fine. It would be easy to make a complete description 'by the numbers', but then, there wouldn't be enough information about actual diamonds to fit into the 'standard'.

Would definitely look for SI1 as a safe option for half carat and under, and as bright a cut as they get.

Case in point: 4.5mm F/SI1

PS: now I see the mention of an x-prong setting (lucida style, right?) IMO< that would work great. As would any setting for which the band is meant to be of comparable width with the main stone. In this case, that would be 3-4mm, which would make for a wearable and 'visible' ring.
5.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Speaking of tension rings.. this is close to what I had in mind (can''t tell if it is true tension setting from this front image, but this is definitely the look).

AsscherTension.JPG

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tough question the smaller ones are hard to find to look at and good ones hard to find period.
The smallest iv seen in person with good patterns that were reasonable visible was 5mm x 5mm.
That said if you dont mind spending a few bucks for shipping you can get one smaller and check it out yourself.
I know of someone who is doing that right now and I may have a better answer soon.

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Wren, all I can say is do your research thoroughly. I don''t know how small you can go, but try looking at them in person and then decide. Although I love my stone, I chose my asscher somewhat on impulse, believing that certain characteristics that applied to rounds also applied to asschers (symmetry, polish, etc.) The GIA report did not come with a cut grade, and I''ve found, over time, that I would like the windmills in my asscher to be more noticeable. They seem to thin. I''ll try to attach a pic for you.

Oh, and mine is 0.88, as JulieN posted earlier. I''ll try to see if I can attach the link to the pic for you.

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s the link:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/split-claw-prong-for-asscher.36186/

You can clearly see that the windmills are really thin. So definitely shop carefully and look at every possible stone. HTH.

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
If he is not up for a major diaond hunt I would say don''t go for an asscher. It has been very interesting but VERY frustrating and I have been a little jealous of people that don''t have to twist arms to get a picture and how numbers actually mean something with rounds. If you love it though and your bf is willing than good luck!! They are amazing!

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Wren,

There was a thread in September that might have some helpful information, but I''m having problems posting the link. It''s called "asschers/square emerald: how small could I go?" The poster was considering a diamond in the .33-.4 carat range. You could try a search for this thread.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Is it really that hard to find a nice asscher?
6.gif

Now that I''ve been running a search, the .4~.5 don''t seem horribly rare. I''ve already stuffed about nine of them into my wishlist. Wouldn''t whiteflash be able to call in three of the most likely candidates and then pick out the nicest? Or would that not ensure me a pretty diamond?
33.gif

cymbrie

Shiny_Rock
If you''ve figured out you''re an avid asscher lover, my 2 cents are...if you got something OTHER than an asscher would you regret it? That''s kind of how I look at things. I think I might have been able to get something that "faced up" bigger than my asscher for the price, but I just knew if I got something else I would always regret the choice. I know great asschers are hard to find but seriously if you want a great asscher go with GOG, they found mine it ended up being the FIRST of the 4 they brought in it''s beautiful...ok truth be told I haven''t seen it in person but everyone who''s seen the pix and seen it in person has said it''s AWESOME. Mark Morrell who now has it and is setting it described it as "miles deep" and a "real sparkler with lots of depth and soul". I just told Jonathan what I was looking for (medium size windmills, bright drop style) as you know there are a bazillion variations on this spectacular cut. If you go asscher go to GOG you will NOT be disappointed.

But if your boyfriend is NOT up to the research and if you''re passionate about this cut as us asscherlovers are, do the research for him and hand it off. I researched this puppy for 6mos so when we decided to take the leap I knew fairly well what I wanted and Storm, Kaleigh and Jonathan were my "other eyes". Even though I knew it was the one when they gave the go-ahead as well I knew we''d made the right choice. Best of luck get what you love remember you''re gonna be wearing it for a long time you have to love it.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I talked to Jon at GOG, someone had him call in a 4.5mm asscher and he said the patterns were visible and you could tell it was an asscher.
unfortunatly it wasnt a very good one so no pictures.
When he gets more in for the person ill ask him about the deep look on a well cut one.
That one wouldnt have had it even in a bigger size due to the cut of it.
That makes me a little more comfortable with the smaller ones if you can find a good one.

If your hunting one down you will need to have a few brought in to hit the right one for you then decide for yourself in person.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Thanks strmrdr,
(sorry in advance for incoherent post, I''m very tired. what? my posts are always incoherent??)
9.gif

Anyway, I will certainly point my bf towards GOG and WF both for the asscher hunt. (if he chooses to go that route). But since I won''t be having any say in the actual final product and bf knows nothing about diamonds, we''ll just have to rely on one of them to pick out the nicest asscher. But I''ve heard such good things about both GOG and Wf, that I''m sure neither of them would let us take home an ugly rock.

My bf, so far, has wanted me to only give him suggestions for future research. I can''t be specific. He says that I''ll be too analytical in choosing the ring/diamond, and also if I choose that takes all the fun out of it. Well, if it makes him happy. Excuse me while I go quietly fret in the LIW corner.
32.gif

How would you describe the difference in brilliance, fire, and scintillation between a brilliant cut like the princess or round and a step cut like the asscher or emerald?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/23/2006 4:24:11 AM
Author: Wren

How would you describe the difference in brilliance, fire, and scintillation between a brilliant cut like the princess or round and a step cut like the asscher or emerald?

Say... broad flash versus pin-fire...
5.gif
Preferring the first hands down, much like it is the case with opal where those words come from to begin with.

IMO, the smaller step cuts have an advantage over other shapes of comparable size, because of the relatively larger facets... or something like that. Anyway, they simply look better to me.

Would giving direction to a certain seller (or a couple of them) would be too much in this case? That should make things rather easy.

And no... I don't think asschers around half a carat are that hard to pick and choose.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just for general info., there is tremendous demand for small "Royal made Asschers"...
from 1/3ct. and below...

I guess there is no such thing as to small..., it all depends on your taste and eyes.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
and i personally know quite a lot off jewelers who will pay a hefty fortune for reall small Asscher''s for "pave"

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is gonna make some people unhappy but if someone is going to rely on the vendor to pick and not seek our help then GOG is better than WF in that situation.
I have more confidence in Jon's ability to pick them than Bob's.
No insult intended to the WF folks they are good folks I just think Jon has a better handle on them.
Just my honest opinion.

edit: just to make sure its clear im talking about asschers only here.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results