shape
carat
color
clarity

How small of a solitaire is worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

abcdefg

Rough_Rock
Trade
Due to budget constraints and my searches on bluenile.com, etc., it seems that 0.5ct is the largest possible solitaire I can get for my e-ring. Do you think that''s large enough to be worth getting, or should I just go with some kind of flat diamond band instead? What about 0.3ct with smaller diamonds around the band?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's nothing wrong with a 0.5 ct stone. Many women would wear it proudly, as evidence by the "under 1 ct diamonds" thread that has spanned many pages. You can stretch your budget by going as low as J and eye clean SI1. If well cut, it will outsparkle most of the diamonds out there.

Personally, I prefer a 0.5 ct solitaire instead of a 0.3 ct surrounded by smaller stones.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
There have been several .5ct erings posted here recently. It's a very respectable size. What is your budget for the stone and setting?

abcdefg

Rough_Rock
Trade
My budget is around $2k, possibly up to $3k. One problem is that I really want a platinum setting, which takes up a large enough fraction of the budget on its own.

I was looking at H+, V2+ diamonds, and 0.5ct was about the largest I got within budget. I could technically go a smidge larger, but if it''s between, say, 0.5 and 0.55ct, I think I''d rather spend that extra little bit of money on the setting.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

abcdefg

Rough_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/17/2009 10:21:49 PM
Author: Chrono
It''s totally up to you but you can go down as far as I/J and eye clean SI1 and still get an excellent looking diamond. What setting are you looking at?

Well, I don''t really expect to get this with my budget, but I do like thin platinum bands with diamonds around the band, like the Tiffany Novo. I see that technically that ring starts at $2750, which is probably doable, but I worry that at such a small size (0.3ct) it would just look dumb. I don''t expect to have a huge centre stone, but still.

I''ve looked into replicas, but they don''t look exactly the same, and the savings wouldn''t allow me to get a significantly larger diamond anyway, so I''d rather just have the real thing, I think.

Or again, I could go back to just considering a plain band, with up to a 0.5ct solitaire, I''m not sure which seems better.

Thoughts?

Oh, and SI1 might be ok, but when buying online, I''m not sure how to tell whether or not it has any visible inclusions.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand where you are coming from now. The Novo is indeed a lovely design but I agree with you that a smaller diamond will be overwhelmed by the busier setting.

You''d be surprised how eye clean SI1s can be when buying from reputable vendors. The 2 stones I posted from GOG and JA have magnified pictures of the actual stone so that YOU can determine if the''s eye clean enough for you. They also have a generous inspection/return period.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like GOG hasn''t posted a picture of their 0.56ct H SI1 stone yet.
There is 2 tiny inclusions on the table of the JA stone so I''d feel better talking to them to verify that it''s eye clean from 6 inches away.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 10:32:18 PM
Author: abcdefg

Well, that 0.6ct stone looks quite nice.

And you could put it into this setting (in platinum!):

Platinum Common Prong

...for $2205 total.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 10:21:49 PM

Author: Chrono

Here's a couple possible contenders:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/P841211/ 0.56ct H SI1 $1352

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1201141.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131 0.6ct H SI1 $1330

Both of these are nice. The H is bigger! And the JA setting is nice too. Hey, you are able to come in below budget (well, below the $3K budget)!! How often does that happen??

abcdefg

Rough_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/17/2009 10:38:30 PM
Author: EBree

And you could put it into this setting (in platinum!):

Platinum Common Prong

...for $2205 total.

I actually saw that setting earlier today, and liked it a lot - but I noticed that it''s 90% platinum, unlike 95% I''ve seen on other sites. Do you think it would still be ok?

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Edited

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 10:42:38 PM

I actually saw that setting earlier today, and liked it a lot - but I noticed that it''s 90% platinum, unlike 95% I''ve seen on other sites. Do you think it would still be ok?

Where are you seeing 90% platinum? The setting I (think I) linked you to says Plat 950.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Metal: Platinum
Alloy: PT950
Width: 1.9mm

That setting is lovely :), I am also pretty sure it is plat 950 as well, I copied and pasted that directly from the site :).

abcdefg

Rough_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/17/2009 10:44:43 PM
Author: EBree
Date: 2/17/2009 10:42:38 PM

Where are you seeing 90% platinum? The setting I (think I) linked you to says Plat 950.

Sorry, I must have mistaken it for another ring I saw, you''re right. Exciting - it looks like I''ll be able to get something better than I expected, within budget. Thanks everyone.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 10:48:00 PM

Sorry, I must have mistaken it for another ring I saw, you''re right. Exciting - it looks like I''ll be able to get something better than I expected, within budget. Thanks everyone.

Be sure to let us know what you decide, and please return with hand shots!
3.gif
9.gif

cara

Ideal_Rock
Just addressing the original posting, whether or not a small solitaire is worth it depends on the preferences of the person wearing it! Are you a woman looking for your own engagement ring or a guy? If you are a guy shopping for an engagement ring, it's your girlfriends opinion and hand that matter. If its for you, go out and try stuff on to see what you like! If you like a solitaire in the size within the budget, go for it!

For me personally, I felt like a 3/4 ct solitaire looked respectable on my hand (I'm tall) but if the budget were smaller than that, I would prefer an eternity band. But that is a personal preference for me: I like the look of eternity bands and wanted a certain proportion if going for the solitaire. On a smaller woman, maybe a 1/2 ct would give the same look in a solitaire, and there are women who wear and love their 1/4 ct solitaires and would prefer that to a band any day of the week. So... not so helpful here except to say the usual engagement ring advice, which is that the opinion of the woman who will be wearing the ring is the important one.

abcdefg

Rough_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/17/2009 11:04:15 PM
Author: cara
Just addressing the original posting, whether or not a small solitaire is worth it depends on the preferences of the person wearing it! Are you a woman looking for your own engagement ring or a guy? If you are a guy shopping for an engagement ring, it''s your girlfriends opinion and hand that matter. If its for you, go out and try stuff on to see what you like! If you like a solitaire in the size within the budget, go for it!

It''s for me, I''m picking out my own ring. I think what I''m going to do before I buy something for sure, is go try on some rings in the size range I''m looking at, to see if I like them on my hand. Once that''s picked out, I really like the settings that have been posted on here, so I will probably go with one of them.
36.gif

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
I'd get this .707 ct, H VS1 with an AGS report.
It is an Expert Selection round from Whiteflash and if you mention Pricescope and wire the funds you'll get the discount price of $2317.

It gets an HCA score of 1.0 Ex Ex Ex Ex, and is right in the center of the AGS window!
3.gif

Have them set it in their platinum solitaire setting, which is $250.

The total is just $2567 for a super cut which is about 3/4 carat.
Since it is cut so well it will look even larger.

Personally I'd spend all the dough on the stone and get the simplest setting.
For me it is all about the stone.

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1874236.htm

grapegravity

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 11:24:34 PM
Author: Moh 10
I''d get this .707 ct, H VS1 with an AGS report.

It is an Expert Selection round from Whiteflash and if you mention Pricescope and wire the funds you''ll get the discount price of $2317.

It gets an HCA score of 1.0 Ex Ex Ex Ex, and is right in the center of the AGS window!
3.gif

Personally I''d spend all the dough on the stone and get the simplest setting.

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1874236.htm

Ditto...

blastdoor

Shiny_Rock
you can also go ahead with it this way, choose the setting you like from a vendor / vendors, tell them

1) the setting you like,

2) your budget for the whole thing, and

3) your requirements for the stone (size, cut, colors, eye clean etc)

and ask them to help you source for a stone while keeping the entire ring within / around budget.. with a reputable vendor helping you on this you are most likely to find something that is both gorgeous and not burn your bank account.. and if in the case whereby the selection criteria is not practical with the budget, they will also be able to best suggest an alternative solution (loosen some of the selection criteria, recommend a similar setting at lower cost etc) for you...

when i was looking for my ring / stone, the stone I had in mind (from a virtual inventory) was on hold by another buyer and the vendor was able to recommend 2 other stones that met all my requirements and within my budget..

although i eventually still ended up buying the stone i originally wanted coz the other party let it go, the efficiency and professionalism of the vendor on making alternative recommendations really impressed me... so that is one way i would definitely recommend...

hope this helps..
21.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay... I'd go for any of these (sorry if they've been posted already).

And the solstice 6 prong setting in platinum (1K though the same vendor)

Wink will tell you honestly if they are eyeclean:

http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=view-id-diamond-infinity&id=342

http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=view-id-diamond-infinity&id=552

http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=view-id-diamond-infinity&id=95

Setting (same vendor, different websites. He's converting to a new website... the settings are just on his old one).

http://www.freecz.com/images/store/WST15420615.jpg

Altogether... you can get a lovely tiffany style classic setting in platinium with an ideal cut diamond in budget (you said up to 3K right?).

Or this setting, with pave in budget, in platinum:

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/Rounded-Open-Cathedral-Engagement-Ring_1352.htm

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
To be honest, I prefer searching for the smaller diamonds instead of the bigger ones...I think you've been given some excellent options.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 11:24:34 PM
Author: Moh 10
I''d get this .707 ct, H VS1 with an AGS report.
It is an Expert Selection round from Whiteflash and if you mention Pricescope and wire the funds you''ll get the discount price of $2317.

3.gif

Personally I''d spend all the dough on the stone and get the simplest setting.

Ditto this!! This rock is a little bigger and will be a beauty!

That said, my friend has a poorly cut .44 solitaire (poorly cut as in it probably faces up smaller than that), and it looks plenty significant on her hand. I was actually surprised the first time I saw it, because I knew of the size and where it came from before I ever saw it and expected it to look teensy. Half a carat really isn''t that small.

Also, I haven''t read all of the posts very carefully so I''m not sure what you''re doing about a setting, but a platinum or white gold bezel on a thin band could really give it some oomph as far as visual size appearance.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had a .50ct ring and I am a ring size 7. Hope this picture helps...

50ptmaisiering.jpg

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is a comparison shot. .33ct earring and .50ct ring

35ptear50ptring.jpg

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
my tiff etoile ring is only a .47ct center. the rest of the bling comes with the setting. i was able to buy it second hand for just over 3k...you never know what you can get second hand!

thread link

the ring is almost at the bottom of the thread...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results