shape
carat
color
clarity

How Small Can An Octavia Be Cut?

tradergirl

Brilliant_Rock
50 points? 75? I was wondering (fantasizing) if a band could be made with small Octavias instead of asschers, maybe 50-75 pointers each. Karl, if you are around is that possible?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tradergirl, I was just thinking of one aspect. If it is possible, it likely would be quite expensive. For an example, the very small August Vintage stones are significantly more expensive than a traditional round H&A. One would have to be willing to pay the premium to have the stones cut.

tradergirl

Brilliant_Rock
I'm really thinking about it if the cutter would consider it. I have been really bummed since I was too cheap to bid higher for that Graf Asscher band that came up on Ebay. It sold for barely half of retail and those were D color, IF I believe.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember that Graaf ring when you posted the link. That was a terrific buy because they got it for far under retail and probably well under appraised value. In this instance you'd be paying full retail because you'd be paying the premium + to have the diamonds cut for you. I think it would be beautiful, but it would not give me the same satisfaction to have to pay top dollar. It is a little more fun to get the expensive item at half the cost it originally sold for! (But I know I don't need to be telling you this, tg ;)) )

slg47

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1306110843|2927989 said:
I remember that Graaf ring when you posted the link. That was a terrific buy because they got it for far under retail and probably well under appraised value. In this instance you'd be paying full retail because you'd be paying the premium + to have the diamonds cut for you. I think it would be beautiful, but it would not give me the same satisfaction to have to pay top dollar. It is a little more fun to get the expensive item at half the cost it originally sold for! (But I know I don't need to be telling you this, tg ;)) )

I dunno...I think I would get plenty of satisfaction out of octavias :love: :love:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A *band* of 75pointer Octavias?? :love: :love: :love: :love: Actually a 5/6/7stone - I think an eternity-type w/ stones w/ that sort of depth would be painful to wear!

Under 50 I wouldn't bother with - if they're anything like generic sq emeralds the beauty of those steps just doesn't come to life in smaller stones.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am sorry it took so long to get back to you.

I talked to the cutter and the profit margin on a .75 wont cover the cutting costs.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1306272849|2929364 said:

I talked to the cutter and the profit margin on a .75 wont cover the cutting costs.

Doesn't that mean that if a client has been told this but wants it cut anyway they CAN get it cut, but they'll be paying more than the "going" rate for a 0.75 ct?

Or is it also the case that it is just not possible to cut them too small with the required precision.

BTW, you guys have to get some colored diamond rough for FCD Octavias. :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky:

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1306273315|2929368 said:

Doesn't that mean that if a client has been told this but wants it cut anyway they CAN get it cut, but they'll be paying more than the "going" rate for a 0.75 ct?

Or is it also the case that it is just not possible to cut them too small with the required precision.

BTW, you guys have to get some colored diamond rough for FCD Octavias. :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky:

Yes it does Kenny, but the smaller the size the more complicated (never cut yet so no past experience) it gets. Actualy, cutting the Octavia requires over 500 individual scans to complete one stone..., it's the most complicated cut to achieve IMO. No room for errors (period). Even the minimum scanning errors create unbelievable headaches during the process.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DiaGem|1306275454|2929406 said:

Yes it does Kenny, but the smaller the size the more complicated (never cut yet so no past experience) it gets. Actualy, cutting the Octavia requires over 500 individual scans to complete one stone..., it's the most complicated cut to achieve IMO. No room for errors (period). Even the minimum scanning errors create unbelievable headaches during the process.

Do all sizes of Octavia have the same design/plan? So smaller is harder to work with b/c of the smaller facets, smaller margins for error? Or is it that it would require an altogether different design?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yssie|1306275931|2929417 said:

Do all sizes of Octavia have the same design/plan? So smaller is harder to work with b/c of the smaller facets, smaller margins for error? Or is it that it would require an altogether different design?

Appearances change with the size (eg melee full cuts vs single cuts). So unless I attempt to cut one I believe any answer will be speculation at this time.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DiaGem|1306276240|2929423 said:
Yssie|1306275931|2929417 said:

Appearances change with the size (eg melee full cuts vs single cuts). So unless I attempt to cut one I believe any answer will be speculation at this time.

small vs large full cuts, then full vs single cuts was my thinking too - re. different designs. Fair enough.

tradergirl

Brilliant_Rock
I appreciate the response, Karl. Are there going to be any large ones, over 2 ct? Thanks.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
tradergirl|1306285642|2929574 said:
I appreciate the response, Karl. Are there going to be any large ones, over 2 ct? Thanks.
I am not comfortable talking about future production on here, if there is something specific your interested in the best bet would be to talk to Jon in private.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results