shape
carat
color
clarity

How should I do this??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

VolvoGuy

Rough_Rock
I am most likely gonna buy a diamond from dirtcheapdiamonds.com. The diamond is going to be set by a jeweler in Atlanta (Solomon Bros). I was wondering if I should have the diamond sent to me personally first then take it to be appraised then send it on to Atlanta. Or if I could/should send it straight to Solomon Bros and let them appraise it b4 they set it?? I only got the 10 days to make sure I want it and with Christmas in the middle of those days time is gonna be kinda tight. I don''t do this kinda thing everyday so any advise would be great!!

Thanks

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
send it to appraiser to Solomon
1 extra shippinmg

Why would you need to see it first - sounds like a feel good factor - which is strange - volvo drivers have no feelings

ha ha ha

VolvoGuy

Rough_Rock
Do you think that Solomon will give me a fair estimate on the ring?? I mean should I still go to a 3rd place after they set the stone and get another opinion that the stone is worth the $$$?? You dont think that Solomon would do a switch a roo on me being I would have never seen the stone??

Thanks

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
To clarify...Garry said to:

1) Send it to the appraiser

2) Then send it to Solomon.

Would recommend RocDoc or Richard Sherwood for appraisers, or possibly Cindy at the New England Gem Lab...they all post on here and are very helpful and know their stuff! You may be operating on a tight timeline with the holidays, see who can fit you in. Then get going!
1.gif
Good luck.

VolvoGuy

Rough_Rock
I was thinking of trying to use the guy in Atlanta that is recommended by this site?? Anyone know if this is a good idea?

Thanks

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
send it to the appraiser first and ask him to deliver it to the jeweller

if you do not trust the jeweller ask for the same appraiser to then complete an insurance appraisal and then HE ships the ring to you
1.gif

newenglandgemlab

Shiny_Rock
DirtCheapDiamonds will send the stone directly to an approved appraiser for you. They send to us prior to the payment which makes for a very comfortable situation for the purchaser. So chose who you would like to work with and go from there. The importance of this is to get an unbiased opinion on the stone and make sure your qualified appraiser agrees with the report or if not, lets you know any problems. A good appraiser will be your seeing eye dog. We like to have our clients come into the office so we can let them 'get to know' their stone(s). This can also be done long distance-sent one to Hong Kong a few days ago! Easy enough to take a photograph of the inclusion(s). If you live in Atlanta I am sure there is a competant appraier nearby. Cindy

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Cindy can see through brick walls too
1.gif

Actually you would be far better off letting an experianced person be your advocate than having the stone sent to you Mr Volva driver.

(it seems I am not getting any Volvoo bites????)

newenglandgemlab

Shiny_Rock
Oh, I forgot to mention we are geting very close to the holiday so you had better move pretty fast to get this all together. Don't want your diamond setter rushing. Thank goodness for Fedex!!

Don't know much about Volvos as I toot around in a Miata! 30 miles per gallon! Cindy

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
If you are in Atlanta, why not send it to an appraiser in Atlanta & go see the stone at his/her place?

Volvo's aren't the same since the demise of the 240. We had our 240 Volvo Station wagon for about 7 years & recieved a plaque from Volvo as the car had >250,000 miles on it. That car just kept giving. Finally, we donated it to the Kidney Foundation & received a nice tax write off. We drove the new volvos & just didn't like the size & drive. Been driving Ford Taurus Wagons ever since. That soon will come to an end when Ford discontinues the Taurus. I'm eyeing the Saturn Vue. One day, I will own a porshe boxer. Just have to have years of being able to work through the guilt.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
We were a year too late to get the 240 before its discontinuation. We bought a 1993 850GLT first year available in the US. It seemed pretty reliable until at about 140,000 miles and 8 years into it, the transmission went!!!! At that mileage and age, Volvos should just be getting broken in!!!
nono.gif
Anyway, to make a long story short (and it's a long, sorry one), the part could not be purchased individually, only with a new or rebuilt total transmission of the same manufacturing year. From the research we did, the 1993s had a lot of transmission problems. In the end, we were better off donating the car as is and taking the write-off. It was sad since we really did love that spunky red car.
8.gif
Hubby and I both switched to Japanese makes (Acura RL and Lexus RX300). Their reliability has been excellent!!!!!!!!!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 12/17/2003 10:08:40 AM diamondlil wrote:

We were a year too late to get the 240 before its discontinuation. We bought a 1993 850GLT first year available in the US. It seemed pretty reliable until at about 140,000 miles and 8 years into it, the transmission went!!!! -------

Not to mention how EXPENSIVE the repair work was. Ours was a manual drive. I have heard that Volvo's have notoriously bad automatic transmissions. My old sedan has the transmission worked on twice (at over 1k a piece) Volvo must make their parts with gold.

A couple of years ago when we retired my Taurus, I looked at and drove both Volvo's (the 25k one & the 35K one). The less expensive one was tiny. The more expensive one was (I swear) my Taurus w/ a 15k+ price tag.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Hey F&I -- buy the Boxter and forget the guilt! Even if you feel guilty occasionally, you'll forget all about it everytime you accellerate or turn a corner
9.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
A-HEM......(hehehee)...... getting us back on track......
wink2.gif

Volvo, I did this and found it worked exceptionally:

1) phone the appraiser to make sure he/she can perform your appraisal in their current schedule and within your time requirements.

2. ask the appraiser if he can have it set locally after appraising the loose stone, and then ship it to you completed.

I bought a loose stone and a setting from Whiteflash and had both shipped to Rich Sherwood. He did an exceptional job on the appraisal and took it to a master setter to have it set for me. He sent the completed ring Fedex.

Doing it this way allowed an appraisal loose and also the ability to wear the ring upon receipt. I also saved on shipping back and forth; only paid shipping from Rich to me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results