shape
carat
color
clarity

How safe is it to buy off ebay?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

psrome

Rough_Rock
I am in the market for a diamond but have apprehensions about buying off the internet. What are some thoughts on buying off of ebay? Even if the certificate is attached?

Thank you all for your time.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
There have been many threads on this in the past, run a search on Advanced Search and just put in 'ebay' and you will find many posts on what people's thoughts on eBay are. I think it is safe to say the general consensus is that you really need to do your homework before dropping a few thousand on an eBay ring. Not all sellers are frauds and some just want to get rid of an old e-ring or a painful memory, but it is hard to know just what a 'great deal' is vs a piece of junk someone is overselling. There have also been threads on eBay fraud about people posting the same diamond twice , or people receiving cubic zirconia's and then fighting about return policies etc.

I would suggest that if you see a stone you really like on eBay, you email the seller and ask the following:

1-History/reasons for selling (e.g. are they are dealer or just Jane-Doe who wants to sell her old ring)
2-What sort of certification, and when was the ring last certified. If it has a GIA or AGS or similar lab cert that is a good sign, but if the cert is dated 1980, then the ring/stone probably needs to be re-certed to compare.
3-What was the apprasial value
4-What are specs such as table, depth, color, clarity, size/dimensions, pavilion and crown angle--these are all crucial to know the cut of the stone (not color and clarity but the others)--you may be getting a great deal on a dull, lifeless, horribly cut stone.
5-How will they accept payment, via escrow? This is the best way to cover yourself or via your credit card (not via PayPal but through your CC directly) where you can dispute the charge if things don't work out
6-What is their return policy? Some sellers if it is just JaneDoe trying to get rid of an old ring, may not have a return policy, you should take this into account because if the diamond/ring does not check out, you are completely out of luck. A return policy should be at least 7-15 days, the more the better.

If you do purchase, take that puppy IMMEDIATELY to an independent appraiser to get the reports necessary to determine just what you got..a great deal or a dull stone. If it doesn't check out, return the stone. Hopefully there is no hassle.

Personally, I have seen some great deals on eBay BUT I have also seen great deals online at reputable vendors who make a living selling nice stones to nice people. So don't be so quick to rush to eBay for a good deal when you can do a little research online and find probably a similar deal with a little more peace of mind.

Hope this helps..good luck. Also I know two of our members on this forum were recently selling rings on eBay...hopefully they will post if the rings are still available so that you can see if they are within your specs. Daisy was asking around 30-40% of appraisal price for her friend's 1.10 carat round stone and Jill was asking around 80% of appraisal for her 1.58 carat princess cut stone. Both had some form of paperwork.

Daisy and Jill..are you around?

Daisyma02

Rough_Rock
Hi Mara, Good Luck the ring on Ebay sold at $4,200 and the Person who bought it was thrilled to have got it. The seller who had that ring listed also has a GIA Certified Radiant cut 1.01 carat D Color SI1 Clarity and I have seen this ring personally and it is Georgeos look at it and see for yourself. it is item #2613644325 and a appraisel of over $10,000 and selling for $3,100 starting bid. I do agree that there is a lot of bad looking Diamonds on Ebay and have a friend that has got a CZ also.
I would have to say look at the Sellers Feedback on the Diamonds they sold not the little books or candle etc....but the Diamonds. If they have good feedback on that thats one good thing. Next look if they are willing to accept escrow. That is another good thing. If it states in the action anywere all Sales Final then move on. Also try emailing Previus bidders to see if they are Happy.
Seriously Take a look at item #2613644325 like I said I seen it myself and WOW!! The Price is Dust Cheap at less than 30% of appraisel Value. This Seller accept escrow, and has Awesome Feedback on Diamonds! Best of Luck!
Mara I agree the Prices on Ebay have to be Low! There are Deals to be Found on Ebay ...But you have to do your research.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats on selling the ring Daisy! I bet that was more than you'd have gotten if you took it to a pawn shop.
1.gif

Daisyma02

Rough_Rock
Thanks Mara! We actaully took it to a Local Pawn Dealer and he offered $1900 for a 1.11 VS2 G Diamond and $200 for a $4500 platinum Setting. That made us Sick. But then he had a SI3 J round in his case for $5000? Doesn't make sense to me. By the way his Diamond was Ugly! My GIA Gemolgist said sell it for no less than $5000 but was thrilled to get what we did. We had a few people Emailing to buy just the center Diamond. You know the cost of a VS2 G diamond and someone got a heck of a Deal on that one!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well he wanted to pay you $2k and then turn around and sell it for around $10 probably! Glad to hear you guys got close what the GIA gemologist suggested. Really good deal for the buyer--they paid about 1/2 of the price they would have paid if they had bought diamond loose through an online vendor: 1.11c G VS2 well cut would be more around $7/8k! AND they got the expensive setting too!
1.gif

Daisyma02

Rough_Rock
This is even Funnier he offered a trade. He would get the 1.11 VS2 G Round and she would get a 1 1/2 pear Si3-I1 J (more like a K) and we would only have to pay $1900 on top. HMMMM Sound Fair? It was a aweful I1 too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results