shape
carat
color
clarity

How safe do you feel when shopping these days?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a former cashier, I know that there is a cash benefit attached to their EBT accounts where the recipient can withdraw cash from ATMs to pay for non-food items like toilet paper, detergent, etc.

Of course, I have no idea if the lady in question is an EBT recipient or not.
All I know, is that I witnessed security guards stopping her at the door with stolen items in her purse.

Cash benefits are sometimes in conjunction with EBT but oftentimes do not happen at all. I say that as someone who has applied for and used benefits but was denied cash because i had to prove that my child’s father was paying support (or ordered to) and that wasn’t the case. ETA: I’m really not trying to be a dick but it really pisses me off that you speak with such authority and you’re wrong on this. The privilege is UNBELIEVABLE.

All of this is complicated and no one person has the same thing going on. When I was 17 years old and had never been out in the world and cashiered in a grocery store, I came from incredible privilege and my co-workers and I used to legit laugh at and gossip about people who bought groceries with food stamps. We knew what cars they drove. We knew where they lived (small town.) We really and truly thought we were better than those people and we begrudged them driving Lincolns or anything “nice.” We certainly hated that they were able to buy soda and steaks.

We just didn’t like that they could have what we thought they weren’t supposed to have.

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
A very large percentage of shoplifting is more of a mental health, drug or medical issue than just not having money.
It's not a loaf of bread being stolen its stuff that can be sold for drug money.
Another large % have the money on them that would have paid for the goods they stole. They a lot of time have mental health or medical issues.
Then you have the underage people trying to steal booze.
They get caught a lot because of all the cameras in that department.
My direct experience is a bit old but if you want to do the research it would confirm I'm close.

here they steel meat to sell cheap down the pub

for money to buy drugs with

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't disagree on taxes, but we probably disagree on how to do it.
Since we are stuck with income tax it should be a flat tax, the first 50k or so is tax free then a flat tax on the rest that is the same for everyone. No deductions, no fuzzy math no chance to cheat.

Higher wages have to come from somewhere and the resulting higher price are going to turn it negative for a lot of people.
What the higher price don't take landlords will by doubling the rent. So in the end the rich get the $$.
It is happening here right now.
Those on a fixed income are in serious trouble as they get the negatives and none of the advantages.

+1

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cash benefits are sometimes in conjunction with EBT but oftentimes do not happen at all. I say that as someone who has applied for and used benefits but was denied cash because i had to prove that my child’s father was paying support (or ordered to) and that wasn’t the case. ETA: I’m really not trying to be a dick but it really pisses me off that you speak with such authority and you’re wrong on this. The privilege is UNBELIEVABLE.

All of this is complicated and no one person has the same thing going on. When I was 17 years old and had never been out in the world and cashiered in a grocery store, I came from incredible privilege and my co-workers and I used to legit laugh at and gossip about people who bought groceries with food stamps. We knew what cars they drove. We knew where they lived (small town.) We really and truly thought we were better than those people and we begrudged them driving Lincolns or anything “nice.” We certainly hated that they were able to buy soda and steaks.

We just didn’t like that they could have what we thought they weren’t supposed to have.

It's not privilege on my end at all.
I'm just tired of seeing people steal from the stores that I call on.

I'm sure plenty of people legitimately need EBT to feed their families.
I was newly divorced with no money or job at one time myself.

Anyway, I still love you monnie :)

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't disagree on taxes, but we probably disagree on how to do it.
Since we are stuck with income tax it should be a flat tax, the first 50k or so is tax free then a flat tax on the rest that is the same for everyone. No deductions, no fuzzy math no chance to cheat.

Higher wages have to come from somewhere and the resulting higher price are going to turn it negative for a lot of people.
What the higher price don't take landlords will by doubling the rent. So in the end the rich get the $$.
It is happening here right now.
Those on a fixed income are in serious trouble as they get the negatives and none of the advantages.

Eliminate corporate tax havens.

Tax the entirety of an individual’s compensation package up-front, not just the cash (and now-vested cash) portions.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is timely and scary that it came up on my youtube feed.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is timely and scary that it came up on my youtube feed.

poor lady
she was providing an important service when you think about it
bl**dy disgusting
this is so sad

edited to say to anyone watching the video, there is more after the soap add

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel safe. But I prefer online shopping because sales people are too pushy in my experience. I'm a comparative shopper that does alot of research before a major purchase. (furniture, cars, clothing, etc). There is no time limit online. So I can go to research heaven.

We do go out to restaurants and such.
Honestly, i was born / raised in the inner city. I have watched to much Rocky, Creed, and Goodfellas cause every time I walk out the door to go anywhere I'm on high alert and ready to 'bring it' if it needs to be 'braught'.

PS. I am not a mean person. My nature is kindness. But...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results