shape
carat
color
clarity

How rare is a MRB O?

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Here ya go: That O IF H&A before (think that's the first two pics) and then after the recut to AVR M IF (last two pics). So, I guess I considered it twice, haha.

o_if_1.jpg

o_if_2.jpg

gog_m_if.jpg

gog_m_if2.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[*]
04diamond<3|1361847444|3390513 said:
nielseel|1361844592|3390476 said:
I contacted excel, who i will be honest is fast becoming my favorite PS vendor, and I told them what i was looking for and they fast responded with this. Is this a good aset? I feel like no but in the same token i went over to look at GOG and they seemed similar
http://www.exceldiamonds.com/Diamonds-1/GIA-Graded-Emerald-Diamond-1-15-Carat-Z-Color-VS1-Clarity-239823.html

Do you realize this is an emerald cut? Are you looking for step cuts now? Excel is great and their prices are awesome!! Let me know if you do end up buying from them. We're considering them for my upgrade (hopefully next year some time)...

Yes this is why I wasn't really interested in having people help in the search. I literally want many shapes equally. I get that that seems frantic or unfocused but its how I like to do things like this. I'm not going to limit myself to one shape right now I want all options and to decide from there.

I haven't bought anything from them bit honestly they are already great. That emerald they didn't even have pics up this morning but I said "heres what I'm looking for two hours later they sent me the link with pics and aset and all!

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
nielseel|1361847964|3390525 said:
[*]
I contacted excel, who i will be honest is fast becoming my favorite PS vendor, and I told them what i was looking for and they fast responded with this. Is this a good aset? I feel like no but in the same token i went over to look at GOG and they seemed similar
http://www.exceldiamonds.com/Diamonds-1/GIA-Graded-Emerald-Diamond-1-15-Carat-Z-Color-VS1-Clarity-239823.html

Do you realize this is an emerald cut? Are you looking for step cuts now? Excel is great and their prices are awesome!! Let me know if you do end up buying from them. We're considering them for my upgrade (hopefully next year some time)...

Yes this is why I wasn't really interested in having people help in the search. I literally want many shapes equally. I get that that seems frantic or unfocused but its how I like to do things like this. I'm not going to limit myself to one shape right now I want all options and to decide from there.

I haven't bought anything from them bit honestly they are already great. That emerald they didn't even have pics up this morning but I said "heres what I'm looking for two hours later they sent me the link with pics and aset and all!

I guess I was confused just because in all the other threads your biggest issue has been that you don't get enough sparkle from your pear. An emerald will "sparkle" far less than a pear!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
04diamond<3|1361848257|3390532 said:
[*]

I guess I was confused just because in all the other threads your biggest issue has been that you don't get enough sparkle from your pear. An emerald will "sparkle" far less than a pear!

I consider flash and sparkle the same thing. I'm looming for fire, so I'm comfortable with step cuts in that regard.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
nielseel|1361848486|3390534 said:
04diamond<3|1361848257|3390532 said:
[*]

I consider flash and sparkle the same thing. I'm looming for fire, so I'm comfortable with step cuts in that regard.

Emeralds will certainly give you reflection, but they will not give you sparkle or fire. It's good to know though that you're keeping your options open as far as cut so we can better help. Here are some more:

a little deep, but beautiful!
http://www.exceldiamonds.com/Diamonds-1/GIA-Graded-Round-Diamond-1-51-Carat-U-Color-SI1-Clarity-221678.html

emerald:
http://www.exceldiamonds.com/Diamonds-1/GIA-Graded-Emerald-Diamond-1-41-Carat-M-Color-VS1-Clarity-237202.html

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I guess I am really confused what you are looking for from the thread and community. It seems like we aren't able to get it right?

1. Are you just giving us an update so there is general awareness around what you are doing?
2. Are you looking for feedback on your diamond options?
3. Are you looking for help to find some needles in the hay stack?
4. Are you simply just asking the question in the subject?

If you want sparkle and fire, I find that OECs completely meets hat. I am shocked at the amount of fire a well cut OEC throws off but then again you hate OECs.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
You need to walk into a store that carries all of these shapes and see them in person. Is there a Tiffany nearby? If you haven't actually seen any of these shapes in person, you're just wasting everybody's time. Pictures wont tell you what you're looking for.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1361840014|3390393 said:
madelise|1361838505|3390367 said:
Rockdiamond|1361837962|3390358 said:
The other demographic is that far too many cutters ( IMO) trade upon consumer ignorance, so a stone GIA will grade O-P instead becomes a K color with an non GIA report.

So basically all the true O MRBs are being sent to random graders across America, and packaged as J's and K's.. maybe even H and I's!! and sold in your local maul jewelry stores :lol:
Yes, but not random graders, carefully selected ones.
The biggest are:
IGI USA and egl Israel, It happens every day.

Ah, yes, Karl, not random. Imagine if they were to accidentally ship it off to GIA! The horror!! :o

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nielseel|1361848486|3390534 said:

This is from one of your other threads:

nielseel|1356146739|3337810 said:
I dont think sparkle is a textbook term for diamonds, my definition is a lot of light return, which my pear does not have.
If your definition of "sparkle" is still a "lot of light return" (depending on how you define that) then an EC might disappoint - they're a very different animal.

Dreamer posted this summary of what we hear when you say things like "sparkle" in your thread - if we can all use the same terminology then we'll be miles ahead. Well, that is, if you're looking for our opinions and not just trying to keep us in the loop per Charmy's questions.

Dreamer_D|1356241332|3338405 said:
I want to define some terms so that we readers can understand where you are coming from, because you are using some terms interchangably that are not interchangable and that is makin it hard for us to offer suggestions because we are confused.

"Fire" referes to colored light return, like rainbow flashes, and it is only evident in bright sunblight or in high potlights. You can also see dispersion of colores within the stone (well off the facets) in filteres sunlight, like under a tree.

That is totally distinct from "white light return", which is the overall output of white light the stone returns to the eye. This is most easily seen outside on a cloudy day, or in other indirect lighting situations.

"Scintillation" is the patterning of light and dark accross the face of the stone, and the particular pattern you see depends on the facet structure of the stone. Some stone have faster twinkly scintillation, like a pear or a princess or radiant, and some have slower flashier scintillation, like OECs, Step cuts, Chunky cushions. In general, faster scintillation is associated with smaller facets with less obvious contrast (bright white and dark facets in a pattern) to the eye between facets because the facets are smaller. Slower scintillation is associated with larger facets and more obvious contrast.

Now, you have said you want sparkle, which most people mean to refer to scintillation -- but which do you want, faster and smaller or slower and bolder? Some people might crave "sparkle" when what they want is more contrast in their diamond.

But you also said you consider sparkle to be overall light return, which tends to refer to white light return, independent of movement and life in the patterning.

And you also said you were sad you did not ask WF about fire, which is colored light return, and not at all related to sparkle scintillation or white light return.

And all of these things are utterly distinct from leakage, hypothetically. Though leakage results from poorly aligned facets or uncomplimentary angles, which can adversely affect all of the above. Still, it is a distinct issue from scintillation, contrast, white and colored light return, which very greatly between cut types, but can also vary with cut quality. Type and quality are distinct issues when it comes to optics.

I think the use of these terms interchangably, when they are not, is why people are commenting that you are being contradictory when you talk about your stone.

So when I and others have adviced that you decide what you really want before doing anything, part of that, in my opinion, is to be very precise about the optical characteristics you want before doing anything.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ForteKitty|1361854143|3390576 said:
You need to walk into a store that carries all of these shapes and see them in person. Is there a Tiffany nearby? If you haven't actually seen any of these shapes in person, you're just wasting everybody's time. Pictures wont tell you what you're looking for.

No there is not a tiffany nearby.

but how hard do you think that will be to find
I assumed asking my original question would get answers, but instead I got questions about why i want them. I was not trying asking for people to give me advise on how to find one, in fact i said
Im looking for it to be a relative surprise when I post it so i didnt want to go into too much detail about what im looking for, im more wondering how hard it will be for Jon to find one.
or
oh no no help here, they are so hard to find online! Im just having Jon look for them for me at this point
This wasnt a "find me a diamond" post, I was most wondering how high i should get my hopes up. Or if thats rough people dont cut into ideals because the market isnt as high. Which would make sense except, rounds are the most popular, you you would think if you had an O, youd try to make it an O first, you know? I know you girls are more than willing to help look, but that wasnt was I was looking for yet

SO to answer the question, what i wanted from this post and "this community" was an answer to a diamond related question.

But people kept asking and giving advise so I opened up my search to the forum, now by doing that I get criticized for how I choose to shop. I do not live by anywhere that sells nice a lot of different diamond shapes. Ive got to the mall and tried on cheap versions of lots of things. This is how i know I like a lot of different types of diamonds. I am equally as happy with a number of diamond shapes. So I understand I seem a little satter-brained, but I am comfortable with what i am doing, and I have my own reasons.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Why don't you just ask Jon at GOG how hard a MRB O is to find, then? Seems to me he'd know better than anyone and then you wouldn't get all those annoying offers of help.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
thing2of2|1361889714|3390802 said:
Why don't you just ask Jon at GOG how hard a MRB O is to find, then? Seems to me he'd know better than anyone and then you wouldn't get all those annoying offers of help.
right? god helpful PSers are annoying :roll:

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock

she did.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
athenaworth|1361892157|3390818 said:
right? god helpful PSers are annoying :roll:
That wasn't what I said. I just meant this wasn't a post for help yet.

I just knew john wouldn't be able to return a email till today and I thought I'd get some answers in the meantime :))

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
nielseel|1361886062|3390766 said:
but how hard do you think that will be to find
I assumed asking my original question would get answers, but instead I got questions about why i want them. I was not trying asking for people to give me advise on how to find one, in fact i said
Im looking for it to be a relative surprise when I post it so i didnt want to go into too much detail about what im looking for, im more wondering how hard it will be for Jon to find one.

SO to answer the question, what i wanted from this post and "this community" was an answer to a diamond related question.

So, you wanted everyone to guess how hard it'll be to find? The reason most people didn't answer is because that's all it could be... a guess. Everyone here has access to the same search engine, if you couldn't find it, we probably can't either.

The reason everyone asked about your choice is because you've been openly unhappy about your pear for long. Nobody wants to see you make the same mistake again. You seemed to have missed that point and went on the defense instead.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We're all just trying to help - the same way you yourself have spent thousands of posts trying to help others ::)

I think a lot of us are getting frustrated trying to help you. Not because you seem scatterbrained (you don't) or because you don't know exactly what you want (that's fine), but because when you talk about what you think you like to see, you assert very specific likes and dislikes that are sometimes completely contradictory. The kozibe/culet/light return issue is a glaring example.

Some of that may be terminology... Dreamer addressed this in one of your earlier threads, I quoted the post above. If we can all use the same words to describe these characteristics then that removes at least one variable.

Ultimately though if you're going to be picky about faceting and light return, and clearly you are, then you need to either learn about what you're being picky about or find some other way of satisfying your wants. Having a vendor choose stones for you might be that way for you.
But THIS (I am quoting your own original post in your latest thread) will NOT lead to success - it might for other people, but not for you, that much I can guarantee.

nielseel|1361763961|3389642 said:
Exploring my options. I was looking at lower colors and people have said "well why not look at old cut", typically i dont like them, but i think thats because a lot of them have that "kozabi?" :confused: :confused: effect and just dont seem all that crisp. However, I will admit that .8 ct one of dreamers mom is really lovely, and if there was somthing like that out there, id really like it.

I have no idea where to look on ebay. basically id like someone to say "buy this stone" and then do it, i dont have the education to venture out on my own :read:

For one of these, i was hoping to say around 2500 but its not harsh. color, dont care, clarity- eye clean.

What kind of thing could i hope to find? could you lovely ladies help a girl out?

Good luck with your search nielseel.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was looking for people would know, like rockdiamond or another vendors with more experience.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Then you should have addressed that in the beginning.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I think your best bet is to email David and Jon directly. They are both fast with email and can speak more freely with you outside of pricescope.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results