shape
carat
color
clarity

How rare is a diamond performance

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dilbert

Rough_Rock
Hi, if a diamond scores 9.8 on the Isee2 and also has 3 VH on the brilliance scope, how rare is that performance? Should that be a factor in buying a diamond unseen?

kevinyonker

Rough_Rock
Looks like it is hand picked cherry. Give us more info. please.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/28/2006 12:16:59 PM
Author:Dilbert

Hi, if a diamond scores 9.8 on the Isee2 and also has 3 VH on the brilliance scope, how rare is that performance?

Since that's something that can be made... I can't see how 'rarity' even applies. Maybe... rare like trowing 2 with a pair of dice.
9.gif

Should that be a factor in buying a diamond unseen?

IMO, no. I don't think these scores are so reliable or precise so that a decimal point really does matte and has a predictable visual effect. GoodOldGold and Nice Ice were the only shops around this forum using Isee2 as far as I remember. I don't know how Niceice uses it, but GOG applies a low threshold (was it 9? 8.5? 8? Dunno) to those scores as meaningful cut off. Without playing myself with dozens of diamonds and the ISee black box to see what scores it spews out and what they correspond too, I can't tell whether I agree or not with this threshold. However, I would be looking for a similar cut off instead of hunting the highest possible score out of such a machine.

These being said, the diamond grading boxes make me curious rather than confident. They are nice experimental toys, IMO... I'd rather trust my own pair of eyes and judgement any day. It is easier to choose among diamonds than between who-knows-what one or another black box machine does. Oh well, perhaps not... but with no insight into what the boxes do it is too much of a detective story for me: cool entertainment in its own right, but not quite relevant for the claimed purpose of rating the visual appeal of diamonds.

Just a personal opinion of course, and the not the most informed.
38.gif
Not that I wouldn't like to get better insight... but just about anything related to the performance of the black box grading tools (Isee2, Bscope whatever else) is proprietary information. For this reason, the results fall right into the 'believe it or not' category for me. Would rather stick with more transparent research any day.

kevinyonker

Rough_Rock
Finding a diamond that scores 3 VH''s on the brilliance scope and scores a 9.8 on the Isee2 has to be rare. How rare...I''m guessing pretty damn rare. To me, those 2 scores put together say alot about the quality of the diamond, especially if you''re buying it sight unseen. What is the HCA? I''m betting it''s between 1.0 to 1.6.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/28/2006 12:32:08 PM
Author: valeria101

Hi, if a diamond scores 9.8 on the Isee2 and also has 3 VH on the brilliance scope, how rare is that performance?

Since that''s something that can be made... I can''t see how ''rarity'' even applies. Maybe... rare like trowing 2 with a pair of dice.
9.gif

Should that be a factor in buying a diamond unseen?

IMO, no. I don''t think these scores are so reliable or precise so that a decimal point really does matte and has a predictable visual effect. GoodOldGold and Nice Ice were the only shops around this forum using Isee2 as far as I remember. I don''t know how Niceice uses it, but GOG applies a low threshold (was it 9? 8.5? 8? Dunno) to those scores as meaningful cut off. Without playing myself with dozens of diamonds and the ISee black box to see what scores it spews out and what they correspond too, I can''t tell whether I agree or not with this threshold. However, I would be looking for a similar cut off instead of hunting the highest possible score out of such a machine.

These being said, the diamond grading boxes make me curious rather than confident. They are nice experimental toys, IMO... I''d rather trust my own pair of eyes and judgement any day. It is easier to choose among diamonds than between who-knows-what one or another black box machine does. Oh well, perhaps not... but with no insight into what the boxes do it is too much of a detective story for me: cool entertainment in its own right, but not quite relevant for the claimed purpose of rating the visual appeal of diamonds.

Just a personal opinion of course, and the not the most informed.
38.gif
Not that I wouldn''t like to get better insight... but just about anything related to the performance of the black box grading tools (Isee2, Bscope whatever else) is proprietary information. For this reason, the results fall right into the ''believe it or not'' category for me. Would rather stick with more transparent research any day.
well said ana. i completely agree.

jasontb

Shiny_Rock
Hi, if a diamond scores 9.8 on the Isee2 and also has 3 VH on the brilliance scope, how rare is that performance? Should that be a factor in buying a diamond unseen?

It''s not *crazy* rare because I just bought a 0.85 D VS2 from GoG that had those numbers. HCA comes out as 1.2 I hope it''s somewhat rare, however, because I wanted only the best.

You can certainly talk about rarity of man-made items. A Ferrari is rare. It doesn''t matter that they *could* make millions of them...

kevinyonker

Rough_Rock
jasontb,

I''m betting the diamond Dilbert is asking about is from GOG. Oh, BTW...how do you like your 3 vh''s brilliance scope + 9.8 Isee2 scored diamond?

jasontb

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/28/2006 3:29:05 PM
Author: kevinyonker
jasontb,

Oh, BTW...how do you like your 3 vh's brilliance scope + 9.8 Isee2 scored diamond?

I think it looks awesome! I am super happy with it. The table is a bit small but I convinced myself it doesn't bother me at all. Nobody I showed it to can even tell it's a smallish table (Sarin 52.5 Helium 53.5...I was surprised they were so different...but either way it's small). Keep in mind, though, that:

a) I've looked closely at only a few diamonds in my life
b) The diamond had not yet been set

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/28/2006 12:49:05 PM
Author: kevinyonker
Finding a diamond that scores 3 VH's on the brilliance scope and scores a 9.8 on the Isee2 has to be rare. How rare...I'm guessing pretty damn rare. To me, those 2 scores put together say alot about the quality of the diamond, especially if you're buying it sight unseen. What is the HCA? I'm betting it's between 1.0 to 1.6.

I agree with kevinyonker
While both machines have issues they do give a relative indication of diamond performance that when kept in context is useful.
Every diamond Iv seen that got 3vh and 9.8 isee2 also was at the top of every test thrown at it including the new owners eyes.
Is it a top stone because it got that score ... no its a top stone because it was cut that way.
That said id buy a diamond with an isee2 score of 9+ and 2vh b-scope and passes the rest of my tests anyday, there isnt that huge a difference when you get to that level.

My 2c :}

Dilbert

Rough_Rock
Thanks alot guys. I haven''t got a particular diamond in mind yet. I will have to buy the diamond unseen so I wanted to know if those two scores would guarantee me a good/great/stand out diamond.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results