shape
carat
color
clarity

How petty are you?

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
When using Google to search for a store, if the first link has an "Ad" symbol next to it I refuse to click on it and so I scroll down to the non-ad link. I'm annoyed with Google and Big Tech, so it's my petty way of not letting them have a penny. I obviously haven't stopped using Google because it's so thorough. SO SO SO stupid, but that's just me. I'm almost embarassed to be posting this. :oops2:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I thought the thread title said "How PRETTY are you?" I was about to say that I always seem to look better in the mirror (and in my own mind haha) than I do in photos.

Little things can definitely bug me. Sometimes I'll feel ridiculously mad if someone misspells a word for example lol. Not all words, just things like spelling "definitely" as "definately" or "defiantly." OMG!!!

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
When using Google to search for a store, if the first link has an "Ad" symbol next to it I refuse to click on it and so I scroll down to the non-ad link. I'm annoyed with Google and Big Tech, so it's my petty way of not letting them have a penny. I obviously haven't stopped using Google because it's so thorough. SO SO SO stupid, but that's just me. I'm almost embarassed to be posting this. :oops2:

I never use the "ad" links. I thought I was alone in that absurdity haha

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently got a new phone.
When I check my email, the first one is an ad!
WTF! How did this happen? I didn't ask for ads in my email!
And I cannot turn it off. I hate it!
Especially the W$llmart ones. I really hate that establishment, and refuse to shop there.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I keep a pocket full of petty next to my pocket full of snark. News stories that require a paywall bug me- so I search the internet archives to read them for free.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Following your gut is not petty.
People vary.
There is not one single correct way that everyone should be.

Pettiness, like beauty and snobbery, is in the eye of the beholder.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@kenny So what you're saying is that there's no such thing as petty? Or that you're super petty and justifying it? :lol-2:

@seaurchin If people can't bother to use capitals and punctuation, I can't be bothered with them, especially in a professional capacity. I have a shirt that reads "I am silently correcting your grammar." I bought this mug for my extremely anal friend:

Screen Shot 2021-09-06 at 10.37.45 PM.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kenny So what you're saying is that there's no such thing as petty? ...

No, not at all.

Pettiness, beauty and snobbery exist.
But not in the way a car or an apple exists.

The former are not absolute.
Rather, they are dependent on the perception and judgement of others.

For example, Pat could consider Chris to be petty, but others may disagree with Pat.
Therefore it cannot be said Chris is petty.
It can only be said that Pat considers Chris to be petty.
And pat considering Chris to be petty does not make Chris petty.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have it in me to be petty, to hold grudges, to do the "tit for tat" thing ... but these are things I don't like in myself, I don't like the negativity, the scorekeeping, the meanness ... so I try every single day to be kind ... if I focus on kindness, it basically eliminates pettiness and negativity as optional responses for me.

As to the Ad-links to websites, I also avoid them ... but I don't consider that as petty ... more like commonsense and protecting myself. YMMV.

oceanblue

Shiny_Rock
@kenny So what you're saying is that there's no such thing as petty? Or that you're super petty and justifying it? :lol-2:

@seaurchin If people can't bother to use capitals and punctuation, I can't be bothered with them, especially in a professional capacity. I have a shirt that reads "I am silently correcting your grammar." I bought this mug for my extremely anal friend:

Screen Shot 2021-09-06 at 10.37.45 PM.png

How petty am I? I use bad grammar just so I can silently laugh at the grammar police.

All in fun of course

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never click on the ad linked option (usually the first one (or several)). I have told my DH to also not. He sometimes does tho and then we start getting ads for the “thing” in our feeds.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I thought everyone did this...you're not one bit petty in my book! Oh wait, maybe that makes me petty too???:P2

lala646

Brilliant_Rock

An IT security consultant once told me never to click on the Ads that top the search results, because you can't be sure the link they'll direct you to is secure, and what you think it is. Could be re-directing you to a fraud/scammer site.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I keep a pocket full of petty next to my pocket full of snark. News stories that require a paywall bug me- so I search the internet archives to read them for free.

Me too!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I AM NOT PETTY !!!!!!!! How dare you suggest it…. Lol

seriously… about those AD links at the top of the Google searches. Every tine you click on one it costs the advertiser bucks. In some cases it can be substantial. This is how you hit them in the pocketbook.
But of course there’s associated risks clicking on anything.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mmmmm yes.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm petty enough to click through an add link and then not buy anything. If I buy anything, i open sandbox and use a browser window there. If you know how URL's are constructed, you can nix certain parts of it without having cookies and other wierd crap embedded on your computer.

does it waste their money? yes.

I will remove site overlays from sites. There's several plugins for that, you just have to use the right one (or combination thereof)

On my main computer I never see Youtube ads and its not because I'm paying for it.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If someone is tailgating me, I go slower just to p!ss them off.
Now that's petty!

Be careful @stracci2000 there are a lot of maniacs out there who are truly crazy. You never know who you are going to piss off who will go completely nuts and be violent. It just isn't worth it. My .02 FWIW.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely avoid ads, clicking on them can cost the shop which in turn means raised prices for the customer. Etsy charges shops 15% extra in fees (on top of 5% transaction fees and 4% payment processing fees) if the buyer purchases WITHIN 30 DAYS of the original ad click. So much money!

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000 I do that, too. Unfortunately, it has resulted in making some drivers have road rage and do insane things.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
as requested:

Adblock plus or Adblock for Youtube
uBlock Origin can work sometimes but can have some issues with some sites

I think there are some options for phone but I don't surf on my phone unless I'm desparate...lol

For certain functions I use a vpn. I also sometimes use it for testing (you do what you must...lol)

For professional use its Cisco which is hardware as I need to be network connected. at the other end I use a token. Otherwise I use Nord which was very useful when I traveled more.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For example, Pat could consider Chris to be petty, but others may disagree with Pat.
Therefore it cannot be said Chris is petty.
It can only be said that Pat considers Chris to be petty.
And pat considering Chris to be petty does not make Chris petty.

I really like what you are saying, and I think it is true. The analogy to beauty being in the eye of the beholder does translate to pettiness too. Thanks.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results