shape
carat
color
clarity

How overpriced is this?

Redwoods-hiker-girl

Brilliant_Rock
I've fallen for a ring (which I haven't seen in person), but I wonder about the price. It's listed at $10,500, which seems rather high to me. The diamond is a 1.10-carat D VS1 square emerald cut (GIA cert here), and I love the simplicity of the look. May I ask for your expert opinions?

Here's a link to the ring. Giant fuzzy screenshot below.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2021-07-29 at 11.21.18 AM.png

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just found some asschers and square emeralds on JA that are D/VS2 and up in the 1.1ct range for around 5.5-7k. So yes, I think its priced high since the setting + side stones dont look like it should cost more than 2k (although I could be wrong). I feel like 8.5k would be more reasonable, but again I could be wrong about how $$ plat settings are right now.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
+1 overpriced
It would be cheaper to have one made.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If it’s antique, it will have a premium, cause it would be a rare stone IF antique. But it might NOT be antique, it might be a modern stone in an antique setting or a repro setting, so you’d be paying a premium for rarity for a modern repro. I don’t know anything about antique Ascchers to tell you if that is actually an antique. But a D VS1 antique Asscher (it would have to also have a GIA cert to prove that) would be rare and would likely carry a premium.

W

westofhere

Fwiw, platinum has been weirdly low for the last several months, since historically it’s often been costlier than gold. Today’s prices: Gold $1,828, Platinum $1,047.

The store may have acquired the ring when platinum was higher priced, but it’s still a good thing to know when making an offer ;)2=)2

Redwoods-hiker-girl

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, @westofhere -- that is a huge difference. Weirdly low is right.

Fwiw, platinum has been weirdly low for the last several months, since historically it’s often been costlier than gold. Today’s prices: Gold $1,828, Platinum $1,047.

W

westofhere

Yes! I’m contemplating buying bullion—not as a retirement-style investment (I know metals aren’t reliable for that), but for the fun of flipping it if/when it goes back up. Worst case scenario: the price doesn’t go up and the platinum becomes jewelry :lol:

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
To me it feels overpriced. But doing a quick search on Langs Antiques, Erstwhile, Victor Barbone etc for a 1 ish carat asscher/square emerald... it actually falls into the reasonable range.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results