shape
carat
color
clarity

How old do you feel?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/28/2007 7:07:30 PM
Author: KimberlyH
Actual Age: 29

How old I feel: It is totally dependant on the situation. I often feel like a kid playing dress up (e.g. when I substitute teach, attend a play, go out to a nice dinner). Sometimes I feel older than dirt (e.g. ready for bed at 9:30, feel like staying home and read on a Sat. night).

I don''t usually feel my age.

Kim – Ha… I am right there with you that some days I feel like I am playing dress up and others I should be retiring soon!

Real age: 27

Feel like: 24/25 (most of the time)

In my head, DH and I are stuck about the time our life together really got started. I felt really old the other day when I realized that this fall, we will have known each other for 10 years… that just sounds insane because I’m not that old! When we were 25 and getting married and buying our house, I thought we were too young and now with being pregnant, I will panic that we are still way too young to be having kids, but then I remember I am staring down at 30 and that its okay to be an "adult"… GAH!

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Funny question
9.gif

I am 35, will be 36 in a few months. How can that be?!
32.gif
Hubby will be 34 this summer.

I definitely look younger than my age (though the eyes are starting to give it away! Nooo!), and I guess because we just got married and don''t have kids yet, we feel like we''re more in our late 20s than mid-30s -- since demographically, I think that''s more where we lie! We''re both relatively fit and neither of us dresses professionally (jeans to work; tanks, capris and flip flops in the summer), so that keeps us feeling/looking young too.

But between the two of us, we''ve had some pretty "elderly" ailments, which totally remind us that we''re NOT kids anymore! I had two hernias at 24 (what healthy 24-year-old woman gets two hernias?!), have had vertigo for the past 10 years, he''s had knee surgery ...
14.gif
Getting old sucks!

What does make me feel really old though is feeling like my high school/college days were just SO different from what goes on today. I mean, I remember writing real honest-to-goodness *letters on paper* to friends when I was in college! Ha haha!! Nowadays it''s all just IM, email, and text messaging. So, yeah, that makes me feel old when I feel like today''s "kids" are a totally different generation from me!

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Real Age: 24 (today''s my birthday!)

The age I feel: I''d say I feel 24, but not how I thought 24 would feel when I was younger. I always thought I''d feel much more grown up by the time I hit my mid-twenties, but I''m not exactly sure what I thought would be different...

Things that make me feel my age: Planning my wedding! I definitely felt much younger before I got engaged over the summer. It was like all of a sudden I realized, wow, I really am an adult! People that don''t know me generally make me feel younger than I am. People tend to think I''m much younger than I am. A few months ago I was asking a worker at best buy about a video game that FI wanted and he told me, "You know you have to be 17 to buy that right?" I don''t really mind people thinking that I''m still in my teens though. It''s only bothered me once in recent years when I was trying to get a drink from the bar at my cousin''s bat mitzvah. I was 22 and the guy wouldn''t believe me even after I showed him my license. I had to bring my mom over to convince him.
20.gif

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2007 10:33:23 AM
Author: ellaila
Funny question
9.gif

32.gif

But between the two of us, we''ve had some pretty ''elderly'' ailments, which totally remind us that we''re NOT kids anymore! I had two hernias at 24 (what healthy 24-year-old woman gets two hernias?!), have had vertigo for the past 10 years, he''s had knee surgery ...
14.gif
Getting old sucks!

Ellaila: I had CATARACTS at 19/20! So I''m right there with you, man.
14.gif

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/29/2007 11:10:02 AM
Author: AmberWaves

Date: 3/29/2007 10:33:23 AM
Author: ellaila
Funny question
9.gif

32.gif

But between the two of us, we''ve had some pretty ''elderly'' ailments, which totally remind us that we''re NOT kids anymore! I had two hernias at 24 (what healthy 24-year-old woman gets two hernias?!), have had vertigo for the past 10 years, he''s had knee surgery ...
14.gif
Getting old sucks!

Ellaila: I had CATARACTS at 19/20! So I''m right there with you, man.
14.gif
Awww, Amber!
7.gif
My mom recently had cataracts surgery, and my grandma had the big coke-bottle glasses, so I''m bettin'' that they''re in my future as well someday! Ain''t genetics a b!tch?!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Real Age-26 (I''ll be 27 on 4/4) YAY Aries girls!!!

I honestly feel more like 30. I''m ready to settle down, I''m ready to have kids. I''ve already finished grad school and am established in my career, I''m not into bars anymore, I like to decorate my house....the list can go on and on...

But I think feeling this way will help a lot when 30 actually comes around.

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
what a good thread!

My real age is 26 and I feel 25. I know it''s not far from my real age, but I feel as though 25 was a really defining age for me, where I moved away and learned alot and am fully comfortable with myself and accept myself as I am. 25 has definately been my favorite age so far.

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Real age: 36

Feel like: 25-26

I am often in shock when I think about how old I really am! My college friends are planning a mini-reunion for us this year because we graduated 15 years ago--how can that be possible?!?! I still fit into my clothes from college and like Mara, I shop at places like Forever 21! Ok, maybe not now because I'm pregnant but I really haven't physically changed since then. And then I think about this child I'm about to give birth to and I wonder how I can be old enough to have a baby--and I'm considered "old" in the medical world! At the same time, I feel much more grounded and stable than when I was 25 and have had so many great life experiences that have made me appreciate my age and maturity level. I think DH and I both look young for our ages and I hope it lasts. I think you're only as old as you let yourself believe.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
I count one year as 24 months instead of 12, so I feel exactly what my age is according to my calendar. I remember growing up my father always celebrated his 36th birthday.Every year he said he was 36 on his birthday.It took us quite some time to figure out as we were growing up that he could not possibly be 36 each birthday, but it worked fine until we figured it out...

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s funny Scarleta..

Date: 3/29/2007 12:15:09 PM
Author: curlygirl

I am often in shock when I think about how old I really am! My college friends are planning a mini-reunion for us this year because we graduated 15 years ago--how can that be possible?!?! I still fit into my clothes from college and like Mara, I shop at places like Forever 21! Ok, maybe not now because I''m pregnant but I really haven''t physically changed since then. And then I think about this child I''m about to give birth to and I wonder how I can be old enough to have a baby--and I''m considered ''old'' in the medical world! At the same time, I feel much more grounded and stable than when I was 25 and have had so many great life experiences that have made me appreciate my age and maturity level. I think DH and I both look young for our ages and I hope it lasts. I think you''re only as old as you let yourself believe.
curlygirl, this makes me feel old too. I feel like I could wait 5 or more years to have kids, but medically I''m at the beginning of the end. It baffles me that my body could be winding down in the area of having babies when I feel so good, young and healthy!

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
Actual age: 24

I feel 24, pretty much. That''s going to get thrown for a loop when I turn 25 in a few months though!
9.gif
I''m established in my career, live in my own place, don''t get carded as often, and have a few pets. I guess the next step, that would make me feel a little older, would be to buy my own property. I''m getting there!

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/29/2007 12:37:04 PM
Author: scarleta
I count one year as 24 months instead of 12, so I feel exactly what my age is according to my calendar. I remember growing up my father always celebrated his 36th birthday.Every year he said he was 36 on his birthday.It took us quite some time to figure out as we were growing up that he could not possibly be 36 each birthday, but it worked fine until we figured it out...

LOL....that reminds me of my dad. For every birthday we''d ask him how old he was, and he''d always answer 39. He was putting a battery in my car one night and after he had me start the car, he stuck his hand back under the hood and sliced his finger almost off. I had to rush him to the hospital with 2 crying kids in tow. When we got there, they started asking all the insurance questions. I told them to take care of dad, I''ll do the insurance. When they asked his age, I told them he was 39. They started laughing, then I had to figure out how old he really was. I was around 29-30 at the time. lol

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2007 12:37:04 PM
Author: scarleta
Hey I really like your Dad''s approach - I may use that myself!!
9.gif
9.gif

LuckyLady

Rough_Rock
Ok, doesn''t this make you feel surreal?

I am 33 (birthday last Friday, another Aries girl here!) and it literally hurts my brain when I try to comprehend that. I feel maybe 28. The thing is nothing makes me feel old really, except realizing how old I am! I look young, probably act young. Ok, well, hang-overs make me feel older. When did that start happening???? And when I say things like "my daughter will NEVER dress like that". Ouch. Grumpy grandma here.

I was reading a great book, Water For Elephants, and the main character is an older man in a nursing home. The book starts out by him saying "I am 90. Or 93. What does it matter?" (paraphrasing here). The author then goes on to say how a funny thing starts happening in your 30''s- it takes you a minute to figure out how old you are when people ask. When you are younger, even in your 20''s, you know exactly how old you are (4 1/2; 16, 21, etc.) But in your 30''s it takes you a minute, and this is then beginning of you starting to forget things. Scary.

My FI is younger (30). I told him if I have to take his last name (which isn''t bad, but sounds terrible with mine), then I am taking his age too when we marry. So I will be 30 after June!
31.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I will be 36 in May. My eldest son is nearly 17. I thought about it the other day - I am so not mature enough to be advising him on where to go to University etc. I mean come on.... in my head don't think I have changed since I was in my mid twenties! I remember when I had Tom thinking 'wow when he is 20 I will be 39! Thats so old'..... now its nearer and its not funny!

They say you are only as old as the man you feel..... my hubby is 26 so I guess I am mid twenties lol!!!
31.gif

I am still waiting to grow up......

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
I''m 35 and will be 36 in May. Most days I feel like I''m in my late 20''s. FI is four years younger and has a lot of energy so that helps me to feel younger as well. But on other days particularly when I''ve not slept well or slept in the wrong postiion I feel a lot older. And when I see my "little" cousins, who I know from the womb, graduating from college I feel REALLY old.

Totaly random thought: It''s interesting this thread...there are some PSers who I swore were younger or older than I was, and now I am finding out the opposite. Could be the posting styles that threw me off.

Scarleta: I have a friend just like your Dad. She stayed at 29 for like 4 years! She''s finally come around though.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2007 3:12:32 PM
Author: onedrop
I''m 35 and will be 36 in May. Most days I feel like I''m in my late 20''s. FI is four years younger and has a lot of energy so that helps me to feel younger as well. But on other days particularly when I''ve not slept well or slept in the wrong postiion I feel a lot older. And when I see my ''little'' cousins, who I know from the womb, graduating from college I feel REALLY old.

Totaly random thought: It''s interesting this thread...there are some PSers who I swore were younger or older than I was, and now I am finding out the opposite. Could be the posting styles that threw me off.

Scarleta: I have a friend just like your Dad. She stayed at 29 for like 4 years! She''s finally come around though.
I agree with this!!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
real age: 26 - turning 27 in october

just yesterday i was talking to hubby and i mentioned being 25. 25?! he was like, um, honey... doh. how did i lose a year and a half of my life? ah, yeh, i was planning a wedding... then busy buying/building a house.

i don''t know how old/young i feel. i know it''s not the age i am though. sometimes i feel too young to be buying our first house. sometimes i feel to old to be wearing this or that. so i don''t and stick it to the back of the closet. i feel like i''m at an awkward age.

darling

Shiny_Rock
Real age - 41 as of last Saturday
Pretend age - 25

Physically I feel better than I did at twenty five.
I only feel my real age when I hang out with my cool girlfriends, who are all smart, fun witty, immature in many ways, responsible with their kids, attractive and fit. We still try new things, and seem to be having the time of our lives. When I think that that''s what being fourty-ish is like, then I want to be a part of that.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2007 3:19:49 PM
Author: Maisie

Date: 3/29/2007 3:12:32 PM
Author: onedrop
I''m 35 and will be 36 in May. Most days I feel like I''m in my late 20''s. FI is four years younger and has a lot of energy so that helps me to feel younger as well. But on other days particularly when I''ve not slept well or slept in the wrong postiion I feel a lot older. And when I see my ''little'' cousins, who I know from the womb, graduating from college I feel REALLY old.

I agree with this!!
I do too. There are some posters who I am not surprised are much younger than I am, and others I think...woah! You were barely a toddler when I was off to college! Unfortunately on a message board, we tend to make initial impressions based on how one writes.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Real Age: 36

Feel: 29/30 (most days...when my toddler wears me out, its more like 150 years old)

I think I look a lot younger than I am, because people durned near fall off their chairs when I say I''m 36. I get 26/28 most often. I JUST quit getting carded about a year ago. But then my mom is 62 with hardly any wrinkles, so I think I''m right behind her.

I do have to admit, my last pregnancy took it out on my face. I got the dark spots (chloasma) and that makes you look older. But I''m a slave to sunscreen...praying it works. LOL. After this pregnancy, I''m getting my spots treated.

A few things make me feel older than I am some days. When I realize that I''ll be 50 when my oldest son starts driving....

The other day, my 14 year old niece told me that she loved to watch the "old classic" movies with her girlfriends. So I''m thinking "Breakfast at Tiffany''s, Roman Holiday, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, etc". and she proceeds to list "the classics"....Ferris Bueller''s Day off, Breakfast Club, 16 Candles... I just groaned inwardly...am I that old? I don''t think so....oh well. :)

Mentally though, I feel no different than when I hit my 30''s. I''ve never been afraid of aging, it never ceases to amaze me how much "hipper" women are staying longer. When my mom was my age, well, she had been divorced for 4 years, and was INCREDIBLY frumpy. Bad mom jeans, no attention to her physical health, wellness, or appearance. Really bad permed mullet. So that was my perception of 30''s.

It was nice to get here and realize I could look/dress/feel any way that I wanted to & that exercising would keep me healthier for a longer time.

I love that my 65 year old dad looks great & is in great health. It''s inspiring.

Diver

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/28/2007 7:19:07 PM
Author: AmberWaves
Actual Age: 27

Age I feel... usually about 21- I''m hyper. When I got my ten year HS reunion notice, I felt every last second of 27, though.
Actual Age: 27... and this year''s HS reunion is hitting home with me too!!!
23.gif

Age I feel: 22 or 23 maybe? I''m reliant on my parents for a lot still, and a grad student, and my brothers are both younger... so I think I subconsciously categorize myself as early 20''s. I''ve definitely moved my bedtime up to about 10pm, and cut back on the late nights out though!!
9.gif

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Real age: 28.

I dont know exactly what age I feel, but I have always felt older (mentally) than I was in actuality. My mom always tells me that I am an old soul- she said I related very well to older people even as a child. My co-workers laugh b/c they say I am the only "young-ish" person at work that has really good friends in all the different age groups!! My whole life I''ve always been able to relate to people of all ages, backgrounds, etc.. For my age I think I have had a lot of experiences with different people and situations, and that has definitely impacted the person I''ve become.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2007 1:22:13 PM
Author: TravelingGal
That's funny Scarleta..

Date: 3/29/2007 12:15:09 PM
Author: curlygirl

I am often in shock when I think about how old I really am! My college friends are planning a mini-reunion for us this year because we graduated 15 years ago--how can that be possible?!?! I still fit into my clothes from college and like Mara, I shop at places like Forever 21! Ok, maybe not now because I'm pregnant but I really haven't physically changed since then. And then I think about this child I'm about to give birth to and I wonder how I can be old enough to have a baby--and I'm considered 'old' in the medical world! At the same time, I feel much more grounded and stable than when I was 25 and have had so many great life experiences that have made me appreciate my age and maturity level. I think DH and I both look young for our ages and I hope it lasts. I think you're only as old as you let yourself believe.
curlygirl, this makes me feel old too. I feel like I could wait 5 or more years to have kids, but medically I'm at the beginning of the end. It baffles me that my body could be winding down in the area of having babies when I feel so good, young and healthy!
I agree with you guys too! I see friends who are my age with 10 year old kids and I am thinking "Wait, we aren't old enough to have kids and then I remember, yeah we are." booo whooo.

Divergirl then younger people tell me that 80's music is classic rock. OMG, no it isn't!!!!LOL

I became one of those people that say "I remember when you were just a baby." OH NO!!! When did that happen to me?!?!?!?!?
39.gif

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
My father''s approach worked well and for a long time.Keep in mind he never retired and did not have any sort of pension.If you want to use it Beacon keep that in mind if you ever want to get an old age pension.
Oshinbreez so funny your dad used the same trick I thought my was original...We finally had to look in his papers for his real birthday.And Onedrop had a friend like that too. Must be an old trick.Yes Skippy 123 now I can say it was funny growing up not ever realizing and my friends used to say " wasn''t your dad that old last year?" We never suspected anything until we got a bit older.Then we had to find his locked documents with his real birthday..We never told him we knew , but his papers were so neat that he must have known and never said anything either...

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
Lets just say that I''m in total complete flabbergasted denial that my 20-yr reunion is coming up this summer...and my 38th bday is next week!

I don''t know how the hell that all happened??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results