shape
carat
color
clarity

How often do you redecorate your house?

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Oh no, I am sorry if I led you astray...it is not just Ollie who destroys the furniture. In fact I would give that credit more to Gracie than Oliver. Oliver just makes my life challenging by fighting with/running after poor sweet Tommy. Our eldest cat who is a sweet sweet baby but he is a lover not a fighter. Oliver OTOH is equal parts both :lol:

Here is the perpetrator of the furniture destruction

gracietheprincess.png

That face. Don't let that fool you. She is not so innocent :devil:

Speaking of not so innocent...

oliverinnocentnot.png

Let me know when you are ready to receive him Nicky..I will send him business class :)

Oh my goodness, Missy, I am not a cat person but those faces might convince me otherwise!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness, Missy, I am not a cat person but those faces might convince me otherwise!

Let me know because I am more than happy to share the love :)

Oliver and Gracie love each other so they are a package deal. She is so sweet. She loves to lay on my lap and then rest her head on my shoulder and drool. OMG. I will have to get a photo of this because it is darling. She does melt me I have to admit. And so does Oliver at times. But he is a royal pain in my arse. Truly. I do not know how to stop him from misbehaving and fighting and chasing Tommy. We have tried it all. Spraying him with water helps just for that moment. Anyway I digress. Let me know if you want me to deliver him to you :lol:

I like this photo of Gracie. Ridiculously precious IMO

Screen Shot 2022-12-06 at 6.50.50 AM.png

And the purrrfect example of how orange and red go well together :bigsmile:
Screen Shot 2022-12-06 at 6.51.19 AM.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Never.

If something functions perfectly fine, I feel no need/desire to replace it just for looks, AKA "staying in style".
If I were to always stay in style I would be (in my mind) overly-concerned what others think of me.
IMO, for me, I see it as a waste of my money, or I just have higher priorities for my money.

My house is about a century old.
Unfortunately whomever owned it in the 1970s spend 2 or 3 pennies ( :knockout: ) "remodeling/updating" the kitchen and bath.
Sure I'd rather have updated and modern everything of the highest quality, but since mostly everything still works I leave it alone.
It works.

A couple years back, I did replace the 1970s formica countertop, but not because of appearance - because of poor function.
The countertop eventually wore through; water leaked under the cracked top and rotted the particle board underneath the top.
To me that made the need for replacement legit

I spend $115 IIRC at Home Depot for the exact same formica countertop.
Of course the design on the formica top was different only because the 70s design was not available.
Then DH and I did the demo, cut the hole for the sink and installed it.
For me, that was my $115 kitchen remodel, and we got some some badly-needed exercise. :praise:
There is a second formica top in the kitchen that was no worn out so I left it alone.
Oh No! I do hope Martha Stewart, Architectural digest, friends or neighbors don't find out I have countertops that don't match. :naughty:
I couldn't sleep at night. :cry2:

By living frugally I have the cash to pay for mandatory work on the house, like $15,000 to replace the 100 year old rotting iron sewage lines.
I wonder if you can you call new sewage lines a home remodel? :lol-2:

But as always, people vary ... so enjoy your redecorated home, and your perception that redecorating results in your higher social approval.

(Granted, again people vary so doing it for others vs. for yourself can be a small or large part of the justification for remodeling.)

Last edited:

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Not much for redecorating a perfectly good room. My wife correctly decided our kitchen was way too small and we did a month long remodel of the kitchen space and turned our tiny L-shaped kitchen into a large open space that became the heart of our house, which has been ever since, a true home.

Those who came to our Get Together a few years ago will testify to how wonderful it is to have a large kitchen and a large dining room/living room. We served two delicious dinners for eighteen guests and Resa and me. Other than hanging different pictures from time to time, there has been no redecorating of the home since we did the kitchen which must be at least twenty years ago.

Now, on to @Tonks comment. When my son was in the fifth grade, I came home to find a tiny kitchen shivering on the living room floor. "What's this?" I asked. My son proceeded to tell me it followed him home. I told him not to lie to me. (It was unable to stand up, it was still so cold from being outside.)

He then fessed up that it had been in the middle of the street, unable to walk any further and would have certainly died soon after he found it. He begged to be able to keep it, even though he knew I am a dog person. I said yes, provided he took care of it, and he did until he left for college. Resa is mildly allergic to cats, and she put up with it for 23 years, long after my son was back from college and travels abroad for kayaking, but always with different reasons why he could not keep a cat. The next door neighbors started leaving food out for him and he more or less moved in with them for the last three years of his life. They called me four or five times a year to tell me I needed to take him to the vet. When we finally had to put him to sleep, the neighbors asked if they could bury him in their yard near the fence between our homes. I said yes and they had a rock decorated with his name and put it on top of his grave. The neighbors have long since followed Sandy to the great beyond and when I told the new neighbors what the rock was for they were very pleased to know the history of the rock.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh no, I am sorry if I led you astray...it is not just Ollie who destroys the furniture. In fact I would give that credit more to Gracie than Oliver. Oliver just makes my life challenging by fighting with/running after poor sweet Tommy. Our eldest cat who is a sweet sweet baby but he is a lover not a fighter. Oliver OTOH is equal parts both :lol:

Here is the perpetrator of the furniture destruction

gracietheprincess.png

That face. Don't let that fool you. She is not so innocent :devil:

Speaking of not so innocent...

oliverinnocentnot.png

Let me know when you are ready to receive him Nicky..I will send him business class :)

oh poor Tommy
he is still being tormented :(2
Gracie looks like an Emperress and darling Ollie the crown prince/ court jester

big pats and cuddles to all
xxxxxx

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you mean discarding old furniture and replacing with new......well never!

If I happen to get a "new-to-me" piece of furniture, then I rearrange to accommodate the new thing. I have a bunch of antiques pieces and I like them just fine.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh poor Tommy
he is still being tormented :(2
Gracie looks like an Emperress and darling Ollie the crown prince/ court jester

big pats and cuddles to all
xxxxxx

Sorry for the thread jack but for Nicky...Yes and Bobby just stays upstairs to avoid Oliver. I joke but it's not the best situation. But I remind myself they were all strays and we are doing the best we can for them.We do love Oliver and despite it all we would do it again. Probably. LOL. He was a huge mess when we adopted him. Herpetic eye ulcer and then ringworm and well you know the rest.

Screen Shot 2022-12-06 at 2.11.38 PM.png

We couldn't get a timely appointment with the vet ophthalmologist at the animal hospital. There are only two vet ophthalmologists here (and very few in the Northeast) and they were booked for months. NO emergencies. I brought Oliver in at 6 AM and waited for her and wouldn't take no for an answer. I mean I was bawling my eyes out with the staff at 6AM when they said they cannot. So I waited for the vet ophthalmologist. Long story short she not only agreed to see him she told us that if we had waited another day he would have lost his eye. He had been misdiagnosed by a local vet and I knew it was dire since he was getting worse. Honestly if he was a human child I could not have fought more than I did to save his eye. I would do anything I could to get my loved ones the care they need.

Screen Shot 2022-12-06 at 2.12.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-12-06 at 2.12.11 PM.png

olivercone.png

And after his eye healed everyone got ringworm lol. I can laugh now but oh my goodness it was a bad situation. Our poor cats-they all got it and it took so many months to get rid of it. Lime dips twice a week for 6 months. Medicated shampoos every week. Greg washed all four of them twice a week. Think about showering and shampooing cats. It isn't easy :lol:

Screen Shot 2022-12-06 at 2.21.46 PM.png

We saved his eye and probably his life. I have no doubt about that and no one else would have put up with him IMO. I think anyone else who might have adopted him if we had not would not have kept him. But to us they are family. We don't always love everything our family does but we do love them nonetheless.

Ollie and Gracie and Tommy and Bobby send all their love and purrs to you Auntie Nicky

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry for the thread jack but for Nicky...Yes and Bobby just stays upstairs to avoid Oliver. I joke but it's not the best situation. But I remind myself they were all strays and we are doing the best we can for them.We do love Oliver and despite it all we would do it again. Probably. LOL. He was a huge mess when we adopted him. Herpetic eye ulcer and then ringworm and well you know the rest.

Screen Shot 2022-12-06 at 2.11.38 PM.png

We couldn't get a timely appointment with the vet ophthalmologist at the animal hospital. There are only two vet ophthalmologists here (and very few in the Northeast) and they were booked for months. NO emergencies. I brought Oliver in at 6 AM and waited for her and wouldn't take no for an answer. I mean I was bawling my eyes out with the staff at 6AM when they said they cannot. So I waited for the vet ophthalmologist. Long story short she not only agreed to see him she told us that if we had waited another day he would have lost his eye. He had been misdiagnosed by a local vet and I knew it was dire since he was getting worse. Honestly if he was a human child I could not have fought more than I did to save his eye. I would do anything I could to get my loved ones the care they need.

Screen Shot 2022-12-06 at 2.12.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-12-06 at 2.12.11 PM.png

olivercone.png

And after his eye healed everyone got ringworm lol. I can laugh now but oh my goodness it was a bad situation. Our poor cats-they all got it and it took so many months to get rid of it. Lime dips twice a week for 6 months. Medicated shampoos every week. Greg washed all four of them twice a week. Think about showering and shampooing cats. It isn't easy :lol:

Screen Shot 2022-12-06 at 2.21.46 PM.png

We saved his eye and probably his life. I have no doubt about that and no one else would have put up with him IMO. I think anyone else who might have adopted him if we had not would not have kept him. But to us they are family. We don't always love everything our family does but we do love them nonetheless.

Ollie and Gracie and Tommy and Bobby send all their love and purrs to you Auntie Nicky

despite the rough start and all that showering and laundry Ollie landed on his feet when he came home with you
he knows how much you love him
:kiss2:

we have a new little stray at the backdoor Puffball
he w ill hopefully go to the spca soon (Gary's eye still not right)
i can pick him up and cuddle him, but when i hang out the washing he very gently wraps himself around my leg
and bites my knee
i want him trained out of that before he goes to the spca so he can go straight up for adoption

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m always tweaking and redecorating, it’s my thang. :mrgreen2:

Carthus

Rough_Rock
I can share some redecorating tips! It's great that you're considering giving your home a fresh look after 10 years. Even if nothing's in disrepair, a makeover can breathe new life into your space.To kick things off, I'd recommend creating a mood board or a Pinterest board with design ideas that inspire you. This will help you visualize the changes you want to make. Next, take a look at your backsplash and consider whether a new pattern or color could transform your kitchen.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I'm pretty frugal when it comes to furniture, so may 15 years for furniture replacement, but I do revamp my rooms with new rugs, new cushions and decorations, new bedding etc (like stated above) every 2-3 years, or whenever I feel like it!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re-?

25 + years and we're not even done with the first pass at decorating :cool2:. Jobs, kids, life. It was a running joke for the first decade when new visitors would look at our all-white walls and ask how long we had lived here. ("Oh.") Now we're (almost) too old to "invest" in art and nice things.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Well, I wouldn't call my house 'decorated', exactly. There are rooms with some things in them. It's been @ fifteen years and we've finally gotten a new family room set. We have ottomans now, two of them. I really wanted to try something other than leather...aaand we ended up with another leather set. Everybody sat on it and that, was that. The old set is still in fabulous condition so I moved it around to other rooms. I am replacing some occasional chairs (none leather!) and adding some more lighting. What I do pretty often is swap rugs and curtains. They get cycled out every few years. I used to paint every few years, but no one wants me to repaint again because they hate being kicked out of their spots. They don't care what color the walls are.
But, I want a new color scheme.

I'll win.

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock
We renovated our house when we bought it in 2018 because it was unliveable ha. So in lots of ways it was refreshed then. And now that I have 2 quite rambunctious and destructive boys and a clumsy husband, my next house redecoration plan will be in 18+ years and I would love to hire an interior designer to help out.

B

Betty Baguette

We get our home renovation inspiration from this site, which is so much fun!:

I love this site too, for viewing high quality vintage furniture (though we usually buy our pieces thru other more affordable sites):

We don't remodel that often though, 'cause it's pretty expensive as everyone knows :eek-2:

Last edited by a moderator:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I just revamped my family room with new throw pillows, new area rug and new kitchen tablecloth to make things lighter and brighter for spring. All for about $250! Originally had wine red rug, wine red pillows and med brown tablecloth. IMG_4481.jpeg IMG_4483.jpeg

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good grief, my first post was in 2017 and I'm still at it. It's not how often I do it, it's how long I do it and I've been continuously doing it for 15 yrs. :-o

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results