shape
carat
color
clarity

How often do you redecorate your house?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just realized that after 10 years, I think my house needs to be refreshed. I. Have. No. Idea. Where. To. Begin. Lol.
If you like to redecorate, can you please share how you start the process? None of my areas are in disrepair, it's more like me wanting to give them a make-over. My flooring is timeless. Kitchen was installed 9 years ago, but I think I've grown tired of my backsplash. Finally, none of my furniture is broken, but I think I want a new look in my bedroom and family room. Please share how you approach redecorating!!!! Even if you don't actually pull the trigger!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love decorating! When we moved into our current home, we redecorated the whole house in 9 weeks.

On a practical level, you need to paint the ceilings first, because you will get little spits from the roller on the walls. Then paint the walls, lastly the architraves, skirting boards and doors. I don't mask off because I've been decorating for a long time, but if you're not confident, then mask off everywhere to avoid paint transference. Cover furniture (if you can't clear the room) and protect your flooring.

If you're having a break during the day, put the paint tray and roller in to a plastic bag so you don't get a skin on the paint or the roller drying out.

If you're not sure of colours, get sample pots and put a patch on each wall in the room, as lighting will affect how it will look. Satinwood finish will give a more modern look than gloss on woodwork.

Lastly, make sure you get plenty of paint in the colour you need, as different batches (even if it is a custom mix) may not always be exactly the same.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
Start tearing pages out of catalogs/magazines when you see something that appeals to you. Go on Pinterest for ideas and make a folder for each room.
You should be able to narrow down what you like and get ideas.
There are lots of online resources for colors that will let you test out on an online room or even upload a photo of your room to visualize different colors.
Gardenweb.com has lots of good advice on anything from colors to furniture placement.
When you narrow down paint choices---absolutely get the little sample size and paint a good size foam board. The little chips are way too small to help. Move the foam board around and test in daylight, lamplight, etc. see how the color works with flooring color or any furniture/rugs/window treatments that are not changing.

I always try to re-purpose what I have if it is good quality and functions well--i.e. Reading chair is comfy. Maybe slipcovers and new bedding and some updated lighting? Or a few new accent pieces if the basics are good and your furniture arrangement functions well for how you live.

P

PierreBear

Looking at houses for sale to see how things are staged or using pinterest always gives me ideas. Catalogs from home furniture stores that you like to purchase from always gives me inspiration as well. Good luck with the projects!!! Would love to see some before/after shots. Can you tell I love to watch some of those HGTV shows?!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in the process of redoing some of our rooms. I decided to start with the rooms that bug me. The formal living room never gets used so I plan
on changing it into more of a nice office. Getting rid of couch, table, side tables and replacing with bookshelves, writing desk, chair for desk and then
2 other chairs facing the desk.

Other room that is getting some work is the great room. I have a large entertainment center that I'm tired of and my DH wants a bigger TV that will not
fit in it so getting rid of that. Replacing with long credenza and pictures/shelves on the wall. So no major overhauls but want to make rooms more
functional.

Would also like to paint my formal dining room furniture a gray color to make it less formal. I'd love to redo my kitchen/formal dining room/breakfast nook
so its just one big area with only 1 casual eating area. That would take moving walls and getting a designer/contractors to do the work. I dont think my
DH is ready for that. If he gave me the OK though I'd go for it. If we are staying in this house might as well make it more livable!

I've been finding pins on pinterest that I like the look of and use those to help me decorate/define the new rooms. Love pinterest. You can find all kinds of
good pics. I'd suggest you start looking there for ideas you like.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was also feeling like my living room needed something so I bought a painting on overstock. It came today so I'm trying to figure out which side up I want to hang it. I think it'll be a nice splash of color on the wall.

So new paint or curtains/shades or artwork on the walls might be the refresh you're looking for.
20170710_121438[1].jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a never ending process... :cheeky:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking at houses for sale to see how things are staged or using pinterest always gives me ideas. Catalogs from home furniture stores that you like to purchase from always gives me inspiration as well. Good luck with the projects!!! Would love to see some before/after shots. Can you tell I love to watch some of those HGTV shows?!
Omg. I actually thought about putting up before shots of the areas I am on the fence about and need inspiration for! I might just take you up on that!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in the process of redoing some of our rooms. I decided to start with the rooms that bug me. The formal living room never gets used so I plan
on changing it into more of a nice office. Getting rid of couch, table, side tables and replacing with bookshelves, writing desk, chair for desk and then
2 other chairs facing the desk.

Other room that is getting some work is the great room. I have a large entertainment center that I'm tired of and my DH wants a bigger TV that will not
fit in it so getting rid of that. Replacing with long credenza and pictures/shelves on the wall. So no major overhauls but want to make rooms more
functional.

Would also like to paint my formal dining room furniture a gray color to make it less formal. I'd love to redo my kitchen/formal dining room/breakfast nook
so its just one big area with only 1 casual eating area. That would take moving walls and getting a designer/contractors to do the work. I dont think my
DH is ready for that. If he gave me the OK though I'd go for it. If we are staying in this house might as well make it more livable!

I've been finding pins on pinterest that I like the look of and use those to help me decorate/define the new rooms. Love pinterest. You can find all kinds of
good pics. I'd suggest you start looking there for ideas you like.

So I like that you said you are starting with the rooms that bug you with the end goal of making them more functional. I think that is where I am, and where I need to remind myself to stay before I get overwhelemed with too many ideas.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was also feeling like my living room needed something so I bought a painting on overstock. It came today so I'm trying to figure out which side up I want to hang it. I think it'll be a nice splash of color on the wall.

So new paint or curtains/shades or artwork on the walls might be the refresh you're looking for.
20170710_121438[1].jpg
So pretty! But I wish it was a easy for me to change it up with art work. I definitely have a longer to do list. Lol.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a never ending process... :cheeky:
This. Is. What terrifies me. I've been through this process twice. And I tend to get tunnel vision. So when I start with one project, it leads to a series of other projects. I think that is why I had gone so long without doing anything. Bc the last time, I finished everything but was also burnt out from the process!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Start simple with a new bed spread, kitchen linens.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Urgh, this is raw for me at the moment as I have spent the last 2 days solidly redecorating my 8 year olds bedroom. It was last done when she moved out of the tiny nursery at 19 months to make way for a new sister. I have no skin left on my fingers from sanding! But it's finished & is beautiful!

We are 11 years in this house, and the decor is mostly the same age. We had the bathroom done 6 months ago as it was tired. The dining room was done 2 years ago after having an Orangery built onto it. I have a decorator booked in Aug for the hall, stairs & landing (huge job, scaffold needed) & hubby & I are planning to do the kitchen soon. We have also booked to have a wooden floor laid in the lounge later this year to replace a very worn carpet. It's the only carpet we have downstairs & I hate it. I'm a wooden / slate floor kind of gal.

After these 'projects' are done, I think our bedroom will be next. The rest of the house is good.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

20170710_121438[1].jpg
I have the same chair in France and love it! The former owners left it for me. I just ordered one for my house here.
Your new painting looks great!

I agree that just a few simple changes can make a world of difference. Sometimes it can even let you live with things you are not so fond of.
This was my bathroom as the former owners left it. I hated it so much that I wanted to do a complete remodel, but needed to make it nicer for now. After some "elbow grease" and about $150 worth of decor items, I'm happy with the room. IMG_4757.jpg
IMG_0840.jpg

...not sure why the images are so huge!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have the same chair in France and love it! The former owners left it for me. I just ordered one for my house here.

I agree that just a few simple changes can make a world of difference. Sometimes it can even let you live with things you are not so fond of.
This was my bathroom as the former owners left it. I hated it so much that I wanted to do a complete remodel, but needed to make it nicer for now. After some "elbow grease" and about $150 worth of decor items, I'm happy with the room. IMG_4757.jpg
IMG_0840.jpg

Wow! It is really a fabu redo! JA are you r my DIY hero. When can I come next to help? Not kidding. When is your next planned trip?

cheers--Sharon

Last edited:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I've managed to make a plan for my master bedroom. That only took a week! Lol. But we are on our way to start that vision.
My daughter is working at a tile show room for the summer. So I have the chance of buying granite or tile at a discount! This is my kitchen. I'm toying with the idea of lightening it up. The cabinets and countertop are only 9 years old. I would feel terrible about tearing out my granite but I keep thinking about how much brighter my kitchen will be. One problem is my floor. tearing out the floor might jeopardize my cabinets so Hubby said that's a no. My concern is whether a white countertop and backsplash would work with my cabinets and floor. Bc if it does, I think the change will be dramatic. Hubby thinks it's crazy. Please chime in!

IMG_9635.JPG

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about painting upper cabinets in a lighter color and changing out backsplash? Two tone cabinets are a big look right now. My gf who just re-did her kitchen put in light upper and dark lower cabinets. If you Google that, lots of inspiration pics come up.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been here a little over a year so things are in a constant state of flux. I love your cabinets (but then again I have dark cabinets!! Maybe do the backsplash in a lighter color? That wouldn't be terribly expensive and can help updates things a bit. Totally jelly that you have a gas range (I miss gas:cry:)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For comparison, here's a corner of my kitchen.

arc_kitchen.jpg
One thing I can say is that its WAY bigger than the one I used to have! If you had a solid colored floor you could very well do a similar type granite like I have. The body isn't all white, but also has cream colors in the body which matches the floors (though the floors didn't show every spec of dirt!!) I'm a granite dummy but if you went with solid white is that possible/feasible? sounds expensive.

I don't yet have a tile back splash, but I'm leaning toward white https://www.flooranddecor.com/tile-...ramic-wall-tile-100402585.html#sz=180&start=1 because I have colored LED Lights under the cabinets (they're turned to blue this week) and that would help reflect the colors well. Otherwise I'd have to figure something else out, my kitchen is so HGTV...lol.

Sorry image was so big!!

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guys, on second thought, get some cats - they'll redecorate for you EVERYDAY! I swear, every day there's a chair moved, artificial flowers shifted, etc.

They've broken pretty much everything I used to have that was breakable:(. I no longer buy breakables...everything is metal or wood. Doesnt mean
they still dont try though:naughty:!

I'm waiting for some artist to turn dust bunnies made out of cat hair into pieces of art.:cheeky:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you might be able to achieve a lighter look by just changing out the backsplash and not messing with the the countertops. Do you have under cabinet lighting? That, combined with a white/light backsplash, will I think make a world of difference. (And if you don't have lighting there and don't want to deal with wiring it I have some ideas on that too.)

As for painting the uppers a different color -- that is very trendy *right now*. If you aren't going to keep the house for long and don't worry about what will be in vs. out in a few (or several) years when you sell that is less of a concern.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We've done a project in the house every year since we've moved in mainly to update 1990's stuff. Eight straight years of having something torn apart. Next is the master bath. I've chosen a designer and we went over her ideas today. When DH and I return from vacation, the designer and I will start to shop for tile, fixtures etc. The job won't start until spring 2018 because I need a break from having people making big noise and big messes in the house.

Mamie Jennings

Rough_Rock
I don't remember last time when we did this, but it did make our house much better.

Greys0n

Rough_Rock
once per year maybe, i don't really care

Natalie222

Rough_Rock
We redecorate our house about every five years. It happens when I'm bored about something and want to change some details. It shouldn't always be total redecorating, sometimes it includes the pictures changing or buying some new furniture.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since this thread was bumped up by a spammer might as well answer
When the cats have destroyed the furniture to the point I cannot stand it anymore lol
Works out to be every five or so years give or take a year or two

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

IMG_0840.jpg

that is very inspiring
we have a tiny bathroom

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Since this thread was bumped up by a spammer might as well answer
When the cats have destroyed the furniture to the point I cannot stand it anymore lol
Works out to be every five or so years give or take a year or two

i find it hard to beelave that darling little Ollie would do anything as devilish as clawing some furniture

;)2

once i get my phone working ill show you what Fluffy has done to the corners in the hall
just fortunate our house is still in the before stages
:lol-2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i find it hard to beelave that darling little Ollie would do anything as devilish as clawing some furniture

Oh no, I am sorry if I led you astray...it is not just Ollie who destroys the furniture. In fact I would give that credit more to Gracie than Oliver. Oliver just makes my life challenging by fighting with/running after poor sweet Tommy. Our eldest cat who is a sweet sweet baby but he is a lover not a fighter. Oliver OTOH is equal parts both :lol:

Here is the perpetrator of the furniture destruction

gracietheprincess.png

That face. Don't let that fool you. She is not so innocent :devil:

Speaking of not so innocent...

oliverinnocentnot.png

Let me know when you are ready to receive him Nicky..I will send him business class :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results