shape
carat
color
clarity

How often do you redecorate and upgrade furniture?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We just moved into our home in March and I kept all my furniture. I haven’t purchased one large piece other than a desk from PB for my daughter’s room. I’m embarrassed to say that my furniture is 8 years old or older.
I can’t figure out what style I’m going for and I don’t want to buy anything unless I’m certain I really like it. COVID has also made me not want to go out and look and because what I have looks okay imo, so I’m not in a rush.
I definitely think if your furniture looks good and is in style then maybe a change of paint color and wall decor/rugs/pillows may do the trick. That’s basically what we did in this house.
But if you really want something new, try selling stuff on FB marketplace. I was able to sell a few things from my old house on there.
My living room set is 8 years old. I want to purchase something new but then we also don’t use the room that much so part of me is like why should I bother.
My bedroom set and dining room sets are 19 years old! I finally just purchased a new mattress in May.
I know for sure I want to get a sectional for my family room but I can’t decide on style, size and color. Our old family room sofas (from old house) we moved to the basement here and right now I have a sofa that used to be in our sunroom in the family room. It is 13 years old. The leather sides are scratched up from our cats and faded from the sun. Even my TV stand and shelves are 13 years old.
My kitchen table is 8 years old! I have cheap chairs from Wayfair bc of the cats. They scratched up my black leather parson chairs so I purchased chairs made out of plastic and metal!
Here is a picture of the sofa in the old house sunroom and now in my family room. In January I will have had it for 14 years.
Edited to add that the curtains are from previous owner so we left them up until I can figure out what I want. The bookcase in the old sunroom I moved into the new kitchen here. 2A37DC53-C2C1-4BDF-88D2-EFAA1EA102DD.jpeg 728D184D-EBC7-4E89-901B-9EF44B225D65.jpeg

Beautiful! I love both of those rooms.

Don't be embarrassed by 8+ year old furniture. I have always seen furniture as big purchases that can last many years. Some longer than others. Our "new" couches have been in our home for 12 years now. Both still comfortable and functional. We have to cover couches to protect from the cats & dogs anyway so most people have never actually seen our couches :lol:

I want to look at some new furniture after we move to the new house (whether we buy or build). Most of what we have will stay. A few pieces will go. Some is functional and looks okay so will probably stay just because I hate to replace things that don't really need it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy,

your cats are adorable. they look like they've got the run of the house!!
I also really like what you did with the living room. So light bright airy and beachy!!

Thank you! It was a vision I had for years before it came to fruition. And yes haha the cats have us wrapped around their little (not so little in Bobby's case) paws. :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy
I love your kitchen! Our new house has white cabinets but they are painted and I can see the paint chips in different areas, mostly around the edges. It drives me crazy. I keep yelling at everyone to be careful. Also, we have cheap builders grade cabinets. I can definitely tell the difference from the old house which had solid cherry cabinets and the ones here. There is a difference in feel. But I have quartz here and it is lighter colored and I love love love it! I’ve never had light colored counters and I truly feel it makes a difference. The room looks brighter and cleaner.
On the other hand my husband hates this house. He thinks we definitely downgraded and wants to move back to our old house! Lol! He just feel that this house is so basic and our old house was upgrade everything. I wish I could change his mind.

Thank you @kayla17! I hope your DH comes around to loving your new home but if not perhaps a reno in your future? This is my first time with quartz too and I am enjoying the clean fresh look of it. I am not one for a busy pattern and that is what we had in the beach house kitchen before we renovated. I lived with it for 7 or so? years and it was time. I was very patient lol.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We just moved into our home in March and I kept all my furniture. I haven’t purchased one large piece other than a desk from PB for my daughter’s room. I’m embarrassed to say that my furniture is 8 years old or older.
I can’t figure out what style I’m going for and I don’t want to buy anything unless I’m certain I really like it. COVID has also made me not want to go out and look and because what I have looks okay imo, so I’m not in a rush.
I definitely think if your furniture looks good and is in style then maybe a change of paint color and wall decor/rugs/pillows may do the trick. That’s basically what we did in this house.
But if you really want something new, try selling stuff on FB marketplace. I was able to sell a few things from my old house on there.
My living room set is 8 years old. I want to purchase something new but then we also don’t use the room that much so part of me is like why should I bother.
My bedroom set and dining room sets are 19 years old! I finally just purchased a new mattress in May.
I know for sure I want to get a sectional for my family room but I can’t decide on style, size and color. Our old family room sofas (from old house) we moved to the basement here and right now I have a sofa that used to be in our sunroom in the family room. It is 13 years old. The leather sides are scratched up from our cats and faded from the sun. Even my TV stand and shelves are 13 years old.
My kitchen table is 8 years old! I have cheap chairs from Wayfair bc of the cats. They scratched up my black leather parson chairs so I purchased chairs made out of plastic and metal!
Here is a picture of the sofa in the old house sunroom and now in my family room. In January I will have had it for 14 years.
Edited to add that the curtains are from previous owner so we left them up until I can figure out what I want. The bookcase in the old sunroom I moved into the new kitchen here. 2A37DC53-C2C1-4BDF-88D2-EFAA1EA102DD.jpeg 728D184D-EBC7-4E89-901B-9EF44B225D65.jpeg

I think these rooms are lovely! Very nice @kayla17 !

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's been 6 years and I am going to redecorate the living room. It is one of the reasons I have been able to avoid buying bling that I will rarely wear. I see something I like and say "That cost is the cost of your new couch" and I don't purchase.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
We have to replace furniture generally every 5 years at least because of the cats. And repaint every 7 years.

However because we have 2 homes and life has been crazy this past year plus we are quite overdo re our Brooklyn home renovations. We need to paint and replace some of our couches at the very least. Most of our furniture at our Brooklyn home is antique so we do not replace those but we do refinish it as necessary. The cats really scratch the heck out of everything.

Not sure we are going to have the time or energy this year to do anything here at our Brooklyn home but we shall see. We won't do it at the sacrifice of going to our beach house as soon as the weather turns nice for cycling so we might have to postpone til next winter. And that is OK. I have let go of being a perfectionist or else I wouldn't have survived these past 5 years.

We did repaint and replaced all our couches at the beach house and re did the entire color scheme less than 2 years ago. It really freshens things up. Also gut renovated our kitchen. Went from blah to yeah. :lol: IMO.

Before:
Kitchen:

beachhousekitchen.jpg

After:
Hard to show the kitchen in photos. Here it is from south, east and north. We put 2 fridges in one on each side.

Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 7.35.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 7.34.57 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 7.34.01 AM.png

Living Room before:

livingroomfromdiningroomview.jpg

livingroom.jpeg

Living Room After:
Couches replaced but original area rugs
francescaatbeachhouse.jpg

Area rugs replaced shortly after we got our new couches
beachhouselivingroom.jpg

Sorry I'm derailing. But omg your rooms look gorgeous! You did such a great job with them! And the kitties too of course! <3

@missy
I love your kitchen! Our new house has white cabinets but they are painted and I can see the paint chips in different areas, mostly around the edges. It drives me crazy. I keep yelling at everyone to be careful. Also, we have cheap builders grade cabinets. I can definitely tell the difference from the old house which had solid cherry cabinets and the ones here. There is a difference in feel. But I have quartz here and it is lighter colored and I love love love it! I’ve never had light colored counters and I truly feel it makes a difference. The room looks brighter and cleaner.
On the other hand my husband hates this house. He thinks we definitely downgraded and wants to move back to our old house! Lol! He just feel that this house is so basic and our old house was upgrade everything. I wish I could change his mind.

Oh no! This makes me sad to hear! My dream is to have every cabinet in our house to be white. It just looks so lovely! X.x we won't be painting or adjusting anything for a few years. So I guess I have time to get new dreams lmao.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry I'm derailing. But omg your rooms look gorgeous! You did such a great job with them! And the kitties too of course! <3

Oh no! This makes me sad to hear! My dream is to have every cabinet in our house to be white. It just looks so lovely! X.x we won't be painting or adjusting anything for a few years. So I guess I have time to get new dreams lmao.

Oh please don’t let my post affect your dream color cabinets! I love the white cabinets. Just wish everyone in my house was really careful with them. Even when I had cherry cabinets they got scratched up from fingernails, etc.
I think it’s just one of my pet peeves, fingernails on the areas around door handles. Like my car handles- the side my husband opens more has hundreds of nail scratches. Yet for some odd reason I don’t care about the cat scratches as much! Go figure!

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @kayla17! I hope your DH comes around to loving your new home but if not perhaps a reno in your future? This is my first time with quartz too and I am enjoying the clean fresh look of it. I am not one for a busy pattern and that is what we had in the beach house kitchen before we renovated. I lived with it for 7 or so? years and it was time. I was very patient lol.

Thanks missy!
My husband probably wouldn’t agree to a renovation. He thinks if it ain’t broken, why fix it. I think he just overall feels that this house doesn’t compare to the one we sold. I think also landwise too bc we had over an acre and now we have 1/3.
The kitchen here was actually just redone in 2018 with new counters, sink and backsplash and that was also when the cabinets were painted.
Oh well! It is what it is.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Oh please don’t let my post affect your dream color cabinets! I love the white cabinets. Just wish everyone in my house was really careful with them. Even when I had cherry cabinets they got scratched up from fingernails, etc.
I think it’s just one of my pet peeves, fingernails on the areas around door handles. Like my car handles- the side my husband opens more has hundreds of nail scratches. Yet for some odd reason I don’t care about the cat scratches as much! Go figure!

Ah so it sounds like it's just somewhat normal to get scratches on any colour cabinets? I'm not sure I ever really looked at how I was opening them. Just kind of grab with the pads on my fingers and pull. Maybe I need to keep an eye on the cabinets we have to see how they wear. They are from the original build I think. They got a dark brown paint job from the last owner which looks awful but they are staying brown for a few years for sure.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My formal lounge which is stuffed with all my treasures has 20 year old leather Chesterfields, they are still like new because the formal lounge is for admiring not using! The formal dining table was already vintage circa 1940s and I bought it because it’s slim and oval and has two extension pieces. The Persian rugs are also old, old before I bought them. I love old stuff. It’s taken me decades to acquire my stuff, a lot of it “upgraded” over time when finances permitted. I had a lovely collection of Crown Devon lustre ware which I upgraded to Carlton Ware and finally to Wedgwood Fairyland Lustre. Ditto the pressed glass to Sabino to Lalique.
Nearly all our light fittings and lamps are Art Deco, again acquired over time.
In our family rooms I have black leather sofas, recliners and chairs. I always buy black leather. These I change over every few years because the dogs use them as trampolines and I always buy another black leather set!
so I’m not into redecorating as such, more refining and improving my collectibles.
DD did redo her room recently.
94DBF423-F9DB-4166-AC24-A2907C4A8D9E.jpeg 4630A70C-31CB-4C7B-AAF8-50CFF17F7EA1.jpeg 63E9DD07-F85A-4D78-80CE-0DFC0FBFA482.jpeg 90FBC754-498A-4A6F-B3F5-7F1D2FCC0827.jpeg

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
My formal lounge which is stuffed with all my treasures has 20 year old leather Chesterfields, they are still like new because the formal lounge is for admiring not using! The formal dining table was already vintage circa 1940s and I bought it because it’s slim and oval and has two extension pieces. The Persian rugs are also old, old before I bought them. I love old stuff. It’s taken me decades to acquire my stuff, a lot of it “upgraded” over time when finances permitted. I had a lovely collection of Crown Devon lustre ware which I upgraded to Carlton Ware and finally to Wedgwood Fairyland Lustre. Ditto the pressed glass to Sabino to Lalique.
In our family rooms I have black leather sofas, recliners and chairs. I always buy black leather. These I change over every few years because the dogs use them as trampolines and I always buy another black leather set!
so I’m not into redecorating as such, more refining and improving my collectibles.
94DBF423-F9DB-4166-AC24-A2907C4A8D9E.jpeg 4630A70C-31CB-4C7B-AAF8-50CFF17F7EA1.jpeg 63E9DD07-F85A-4D78-80CE-0DFC0FBFA482.jpeg 90FBC754-498A-4A6F-B3F5-7F1D2FCC0827.jpeg

I love love love the stained glass!! and the fantastic screen above the bed! I love antiques too but i don't have too many pieces. I have a nice demi lune that i just love. Your use of burgandy is rich and stylish. Thanks for sharing!!

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I want your windows!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results