shape
carat
color
clarity

How often can you clean your ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

michela002

Shiny_Rock
Admittedly, I always thought all the PSers who said they cleaned their rings every day were obsessive. Now, I am too. Lol!
2.gif

But I have a question -

I have a jewelery cleaning solution I bought when I got my ring. It doesn''t tell you its ingredients on there, but it says it is for gold, diamonds etc. It has a little plastic basket that you put your ring on as well as a little brush. (It''s quite common I''m sure someone must know what I''m talking about, right?) - Oh, FYI my ring is white gold and diamonds.

The instructions say to "dip for 10-15 seconds", then to brush and rinse. (And do not brush it for more than 3-5 minutes.)

I have gotten into the habit of putting my ring in there when I get out of the shower, then giving it a quick brush (less than 30 seconds) after I''m dressed and have put lotion on etc. The ring probably soaks for about 15 minutes.

Is it bad to soak it for so long every day??? I only give it a quick brush, so I know I''m not over-brushing it, I just don''t know if its okay to soak it for so long in this kind of solution? Should I just be giving it a quick "dip" and a quick brush? Or is a ring okay in special jewelery cleaner?

Also, how often is too often to clean your ring? What kind of damage could I be doing, if any?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I clean mine almost daily, though since I switched to the Sparkle stuff whiteflash sells (best stuff, ever) I do it every other. I mainly clean my wedding ring because it gets gross SO fast. My ering doesn''t need it more than a couple times a week.

I suggest you order some of this stuff, and pitch the jar. KEEP THE BRUSH that goes with the jar though. It works really well.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Every day to every other day...I do a combination of both on my e-ring. I always seem to some how get fingerprints and other junk on my stone before I even leave the house in the morning (yes, don''t worry, I take it off before I shower and do my hair, but it STILL gets dirty!). I use a toothbrush, soak it in hot water, and then use some cleaner I got from WF. Haven''t damaged anything yet!!
31.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I clean mine everyday. I use that stuff that was mentioned before and a soft toothbrush and it really does the trick. I probably don''t need to do my ering everyday, but it''s a habit.
3.gif

nutty

Rough_Rock
I clean mine everyday with the same stuff... in fact, I let my rings soak overnight in it, every night. My jeweler assured me it was fine for gold, diamonds, platinum, etc. to soak overnight. Just nothing plated or sterling silver and obviously not pearls, etc.

At any rate, I've soaked my rings in it every night for the last... hmmm.. 7 years? Nothing but shiny, clean rings in the morning!

CdnBlingGal

Brilliant_Rock
Whew! I''m glad i''m not the only one that cleans their rings everyday. I buy a jewellery store brand solution and use a toothbrush.

I love my rings to be sparkly and clean. I''m so obsessed with my rings being clean, I bring a clean soft cloth ( a baby wash cloth) with me everywhere I go.

michela002

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone. Seeing as I got no DANGER WILL ROBINSON!! responses to soaking my rings for 10-15 mins every day I will continue to do so, or maybe just soak them for 5 mins once I get out of the shower.

I''m going to see about getting some of that WF cleaner but I have two jars of this jewelery cleaning solution lol, so I might use them first.

It''s sad how obsessed I am with cleaning my ring. I just don''t really want someone to say "Oh, what a beautiful ring!" and for me to go "Oh ... oh shucks ... well ... yeah ... but it''s not clean ... blah blah blah ... you should see it when I''ve cleaned it, it''s much prettier" etc
3.gif

I find now I check the table for fingerprints, lol!!! So sad ...

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of my greatest pet peeves is listening to people tell me not to look at their rings because they are dirty! Why are they dirty? It''s not a huge job like washing all of your windows or even your car - just plop them in something to soak while you''re doing something else and then rinse. How hard is that?!?!!? I clean mine everyday as I see no point in having something beautiful and not taking care of it. If cleaning them would ruin them, believe me that mine would have disintegrated a long time ago! If it''s worth having, it''s worth taking care of. . . I''ll step down from the soapbox now!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hear you MGR, that is one of my biggest pet peeves too. I have even given jewelery cleaner to my friends and said now you have no excuse!!!! They know I''m a nut about it but why have a beautiful diamond and not take care of it. I''ve been cleaning my rings everyday for 19 years.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wife cleans her ring once a week, i can''t stand it
14.gif
38.gif
.if i had a diamond ring i would steam it everyday.what good is DD.
14.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I clean it about daily...I HATE when the pavilion is cloudy and not sparkly clear, that happens about every day and a half since I use alot of lotions etc so I do it about daily or every half day, and it''s fine.

One comment, make sure whatever you are using is okay for gold...I think you said it was but gold is not the same as platinum and sometimes other cleaners may have things that eat away at the softer gold. So don''t use a platinum cleaner for gold most likely.

Otherwise clean it every 5 minutes if you wish!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
The stuff we all use is available in a gold version as well, its way better than that jar stuff ;-)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I clean my diamond bracelets far more frequently (3 x/week)than my ER and eternity ring; for some reason they seem to need it more or maybe I just think so--and I use my ultrasonic and a soft toothbrush......

cheers--Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results