shape
carat
color
clarity

how much would it cost to set a diamond in a ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
how much would you think it would cost for a local jeweler to set a diamond in a ring?

i called one up and explained i had a plain solitaire setting i wanted set w/ a diamond, and she asked the size of the diamond, i said .82 but she thought i said .2 and quoted me $30, then when i explained it was .82 she said "ohhh that will come to $70". i dont really care if it is 30 or 70 but what is up with that? is it way easier to set a .2 than a .82?

also do any jewelers allow you to make an appointment to get your stone set on a certain day so it is there just for the day so you dont have to leave the stuff with them for a week?? i am planning to call around but ive called 2 places and they both said that was impossible. i am very wary of local jewelers at this point so id really like it to be done during one day so i feel safer nothing got tampered with. although i dont want them to sacrifice doing a quality job either.

WirelessRoute

Rough_Rock
I am getting my settings from Jareds and got my diamond from James Allen
Jareds quoted me 70-90 for to set my .82 Princess Cut in setting

I am paying extra $70 or so dollars for their warranty (Covers the setting and install of diamond) which includes redipping White Gold which the Wife should love as the white gold loses its shine extra

Don't let just anyone set thr diamond in the ring. Make sure they are atleast know or have some good feedback from people that have used them...just my 2 cents

Cheers!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
the difference is not in how the stones are set, but in the amount of potential loss. a .82 would cost MUCH more to replace than a .20.

unfortunately, the best jewelers are usually the busiest and setting a stone bought somewhere else is not going to be top priority. they will service their own customers first.

there is really no need to be overly concerned about something happening to your diamond. a reputable jeweler is not going to risk anything untoward.

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
yeah i understand a .8 would be way more to replace than a .2, but they also have told me they would not take any responsibility if they damaged it. anyway i think i will find a different jeweler that has some better feedback :) i was stupid earlier and ended up stuck with a setting from one local jeweler and definately dont want to go back to him to get it set.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t know about the price costs for setting rings, but as for your question about getting the ring set I might be able to help. If you go to the jeweler and ask if they have a designer "in house" that works in the shop it may be less nerve racking to leave your stone with them. Many stores have to send their work outside of the store itself, which is part of the reason it takes longer. I don''t know if you could get it all done in one day, but if they had the designer in the store, you could at least check up on the progress more easily. It might even save on the cost a little bit as well. Just a thought.

*Marisa*

Jolly

Rough_Rock
It think that you talk to a setter and ask him how he will do it for.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I recently had a stone set and appraised and I paid $250. But that was becuase the prongs had to be adjusted and they are platinum so that added to the cost. The appraisal was $75 so it was $175 for the set and repair. But again, they had to do some work on the platinum because the center stone was a different shape.

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
well, ive asked around and I have been quoted various things.

I am getting quotes between $50 and $300. I don''t know if its necessarily bad to go with someone who quotes the cheapest because maybe they are worse?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results