shape
carat
color
clarity

How much to pay for platinum setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ready

Rough_Rock
I'm looking for a simple, 2.5mm wide solitiare setting (no sidestones) with 6 prongs. I'm being quoted $350 from the local diamond broker I'm dealing with. Does this sound fair or do they generally "throw in" the setting with diamond purchase? Also, the diamond is a "G" color. Should I be OK with platinum or should I go white gold? I saw the comparison at goodoldgold.com and understand the pros/cons...but I understand that sometimes the white gold still has a slight yellowish tent that might lend better to a "G." Comments?

enibas

Rough_Rock
i'm no expert by ANY means, but i say go with the platinum (if you have the $) if hte G is well cut. if it's a very yellow G (what does THAT mean?! dunno), maybe you shoudl consider white gold. but i vote for platinum. i know the setting i wanted was $900, so the price you've quoted soudns pretyt good to me...

but i'm just a "layman"...:halo:
good luck!
sabine
www.sabine.health-page.com

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
On Whiteflash.com and other sites that sell similar solitaires, the average regular style 2.5mm 4 or 6 prong solitaire is around $300-400 so it sounds like with a B&M price at $350 you are doing just fine.

On setting a 'G' color in platinum, you should be fine. I have a G, VS1 and it's EXTREMELY white to me. I couldn't even see a difference between an E and my G, but my G is very sparkly and brilliant, so maybe this helps.

With the 'G' color you are in the 'Near Colorless' Range..in fact you are only one color off from 'F' which is in the true 'Colorless' Range. I would definitely go with platinum over white gold, esp for such a decent price!

My two cents..
:bigsmile:

zrun

Rough_Rock
I've got mine at $300, tax included.

includes setting, and resizing.

Cathedral setting, 2.5mm.

The service rep gave the price to me before discussing with the supervisor... The supervisor gave a perplexed look before agreeing with the price.

I believe prices are pretty standard. If no gems, and standard ring with attachable heads, should be around $300-$400.

A custom made lucida setting, 18k white gold costs $185 set.

GiGi

Rough_Rock
If you can find a goldsmith in town, who only makes jewlry for public and other retail stores, you might get it for even less.

I got my 4 prones basket platinum setting for $230. including polishing, and rhodium plating.

student

Shiny_Rock
I'd go for platinum.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results