shape
carat
color
clarity

How much student loan debt do you/did you have?

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
DH's loans I prefer not to think about the total amount as they are quite steep due to undergrad stupidity and he is now back in school taking post-bac classes and EMT class in preparation for application to med school in 2-3 years. it's what he really wants to do and I totally support it, but the loans will be a lot. Basically, we'll re-evaluate after each step (EMT class, first year of post-bac, second year of post-bac, paramedic training, MCAT, application process to make sure it's still what he wants to do and he doesn't want a shorter/cheaper career option like staying a paramedic or becoming a PA).

My loans were none for undergrad (graduated in 2000 from a small private college). I got scholarships, paid for my own room and board, and my parents paid the balance of my tuition. Best gift they ever could have given me! My masters in opera I was on a full-ride my second year and bought a house so I got in-state tuition for the first. I have $15k in loans from the first year living expenses etc. but made more than that on the sale of the house, so it was a wash.

My MBA is a whole 'nother story! I work in the non-profit sector and want to shift/move-up to executive leadership and/or non-profit consulting. I went to a prestigious school b/c the few people in the non-profit sector who care about the degree care about the school, especially in NYC where I live and work (I thought long and hard about doing such an expensive program) and decided to go part-time so I could keep working to help mitigate things. I am paying for about 25% of the degree and the rest of my tuition is loans. The original plan was to pay for 50% at least, but DH getting laid off last year changed that. I think in the long-run the degree will be worth it (I'll be done in about a year depending on how fast/slow I want to finish things now that I am a mom). I am not sure if I would do such an expensive MBA again...I'll let you know in about 10 years if it pays off:)

When our kids go to college we want to be able to offer them an option for undergrad with no loans (probably us paying for tuition at a state school and our child paying for room and board). If the Dr plan works out (and we get those loans paid off in time) maybe we can do more :bigsmile: but at a minimum we want to explain the realities about loans and help our kids avoid them if at all possible.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results