shape
carat
color
clarity

How much should i pay for this Tiffany PT Ring

Dell1607

Rough_Rock
I am searching for a second hand ring and came across this one. I feel the person might be asking too much for a used ring. the platinum Solitaire ring is .37 ct VVS1 color G and its 20 years old. can someone tell me what price range it should be in? and since the ring is from 1996 it most likely does not have a laser engraved number on the stone, so it might be harder to see if it is an authentic Tiffany. please let me know if something looks suspicious in the photo. Thank you

ringggg.jpg ringg_0.jpg ringt.jpg ringgg.jpg

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
How much are they asking and who is asking??

Dell1607

Rough_Rock
its a private sale via local classified ad. they are asking $3000 Canadian. They purchased it brand new in the Tiffany & co. store in 1996. I wanted to meet in person to get it verified at the Tiffany store but the sales person said they do not verify second hand jewellery anymore.

Q

Queenie60

personally I would pass on this - too much risk as there's nothing to verify that it's authentic.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just as a point of reference, here is a stone almost double the size, excellent cut, for just a few hundred more than the Tiffany ring. Granted this is just a stone and you would still have to purchase a setting but $3k for that Tiffany ring sounds very high to me.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/0-68ct-g-vvs1-superior-round-hearts-and-arrows-diamond.html

You could drop down in clarity to a VS1 and find an even larger stone. Dollar for dollar and sparkle for sparkle that would be much more diamond than the Tiffany ring. It may very well be authentic but there is always a chance that it is not - if the ring were say $1500 I might want to take the gamble but not for $3000. If it is Tiffany that you really want, my vote is to keep looking.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI, Dell :wavey:
Has the seller sent you clear photos of the engraving inside the shank? That could enable you to have greater confidence that the ring isn't bogus: the carat size + the Tiffany diamond ID number should be seen there, in addition to the Tiffany & Co stamp and the PT950 platinum hallmark.

$3000 CAD = $2166 USA under today's currency conversion rates. That price strikes me as high for that particular ring, but if you are interested in it, you could do a search of completed listings on eBay to see whether there are comparable rings (or ones with diamonds that are larger and/or higher color) with the same paperwork (i.e., Tiffany diamond certificate, but no sales receipt or Tiffany evaluation report) that sold for less money. If so, you could show the seller those search results as a negotiating tool.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results