shape
carat
color
clarity

How much *should* a 1/3 carat ring cost?

elliemay

Shiny_Rock
One of my little brothers has decided to propose and has asked for help in finding the perfect ring. As I've been obssessively researching diamonds for the past few months, he thought I would be a great source of help. :errrr: The good news is that he's looking for a RB, and I know enough about them to feel confident in my ability to find a nice one.

What I'm not sure about is cost -- how much is a reasonable price for a .30 to .40 carat RB, likely H-I-J and SI1/SI2 (eye clean only!), with a very good cut (H&A not a priority) if bought through one of the preferred PS vendors? How about bought second hand?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
It would depend on the color- clarity- carat combo you look for. A .30 J SI2 RB will be less than a .40 H SI1. What is your brother's budget?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
The diamond would be between $600 and $800 depending on specs.

Setting could be as low as $300 and as high as $2000 depending on specs!

I just bought a 0.355 I SI1 AGS0 on ebay for about $350. There are some others on there now mounted for $500-$600. GIA stones.

Ravinmad

Shiny_Rock
If he and she arent against it, they might consider an estate diamond/ring to maximize the cash valve of their buying power.

OR a simple setup thru BGD

Brian Gavin Signature
0.350 G VS2 Hearts and Arrows Round
Product ID: AGS-104055878008 Price: $860.00
Measurements: 4.51 x 4.56 x 2.78mm Wire Price: $834.00

Six Prong Solitaire 14K White Gold
Product ID: 5351W14 Quantity:

Metal Type: 14K White Gold
Size: 6 Price: $325.00
Wire Price: $325.00

Gift Certificate/Optional Code:

Total: $1,185.00
Wire Total: $1,159.00

elliemay

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, everyone. I've done a few searches on JA, WF, and BN and they're all coming it at around $1000 with a .40 ct stone, so it looks like I'm in the right ballpark.

Ravinmad said:
If he and she arent against it, they might consider an estate diamond/ring to maximize the cash valve of their buying power.

That's what I think, but he said something about "dead people rings" when I mentioned that option :rolleyes: , which tells me he may not be totally into the whole estate thing. I haven't actually met his girlfriend (we live about 5000 miles apart), but my impression of her is very much along the simple-solitaire-or-bezel-set-in-white-gold kinda lines, so we shouldn't have too hard a time finding something suitable.

There are some great antique stores nearby and also a fantastic pawn shop with a huge jewellery department (military town!), so I think I'll drag him to those when I visit as he could get an even better deal there.

Poor guy -- he's only 23 and went to Zales the other day, having never stepped foot in a jewellery store before. I'm surprised he was able to leave empty-handed because I know they saw him coming and had dollar signs in their eyes! :lol:

Ravinmad

Shiny_Rock
oh yea, especially in a military town..... I was a soldier once, and know how they are, I swear 50% of the people they hiest in off the street and then dazzle them :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results