shape
carat
color
clarity

How much of a pain is it to resize platinum?

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
I have always wanted a Tiffany Soleste and I am thinking of buying one preowned. I am wondering though, since I have never owned platinum, how difficult would it be to get it resized in future in the event that I need to? I am also finding a few nice solestes that are either a little bit too big or a little bit too small and I am wondering if it would be a terrible idea to buy something that is not my exact size to begin with? Is it better to buy bigger or smaller than I need and how many sizes difference would be a problem considering that the the band of the rind does have pave diamonds roughly halfway down the band?

I'm in Australia and I really don't know if the Tiffany stores her would even be willing to work on one of their rings if it is preowned, so my guess is that a local jeweller would need to do the resizing, too risky maybe?

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
I have gotten platinum rings sized up (not Tiffany) with no issues. The jeweler said it’s easier to size down than up, but he didn’t have any problem with it. One was an engagement ring with side stones and the other was a plain band.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have found that locally the price is exorbitant IMO <$300 for a size up. I’d personally price it out beforehand if I were to buy a platinum ring that needed to be sized, unless I needed the piece no matter.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Given we are organic, our hands, change over time. Sizing happens. That said it also depends on the size difference....a US size 4 to a 9....welll....

My (local) jeweller is not at all inexpensive but they have no problem resizing any of my platinum rings.

Finally, take care on the secondary market. It can be a headache.

cheers--Sharon

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
I know this thread is a bit old but...I sent in an pre owned platinum embrace band to tiffany for sizing last month. It was approximately a size 4.5 and i asked for it to be sized up to 6.5. They are currently working on it now, and the price was very reasonable! :)

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I can tell you from experience, that not all local jewelers will resize platinum [the just dont have the goldsmiths that want to do it], and of course it's more expensive than regular 10/12/14/18kt yellow/white gold. It also depends on the setting and the crown details. Are there many pave involved? the more side stones, the more difficult it will be to go up or down [depending on how much of course]. Something to consider. Get cost estimates before you shell out the cash would be my best advice. Cheers!

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve had rings from Tiffany resized for a small fee. In my case they were purchased from them, but it was many years later and they didn’t ask for a receipt or anything. I’ve had non-Tiffany platinum rings resized with no issues with local jewelers (my finger size went up after having kiddos from about a 4.75 to a 5.5).

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I got Bella, she was sized up for $60, although the band is probably a tad under 2mm wide platinum.

abbit

Rough_Rock
I've had my platinum wedding band resized twice now by local Aussie jewellers. I think it was about $160

croqueusedediamants

Rough_Rock
I have some platinum Tiffany rings that have been sized up and down a few times over the years. If I need any more sizing done, I might consider a new ring instead because I think there is a limit to how many times a ring can be sized without causing damage. If I were buying a used ring, I would be hesitant to purchase one that was many sizes off. Sizing platinum is more involved and expensive, and fewer jewelers do the work.

Tiffany has never charged me for the sizing work, though they did charge me quite a bit when one ring needed repair.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results