shape
carat
color
clarity

How much movement in pricing?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LA

Rough_Rock
Went to a local jeweler with a very good rep that have done business with in the past. We looked at stone that she liked and they gave us a price of $10,700 net. Question is what would be you offer? Is their a standard? I have no idea what the mark up on a diamond is. Thanks

LA in Maryland

derekinla

Shiny_Rock
It depends on the quality of the stone. Assuming it's a round brilliant diamond, here is the info we will need to be able to give you a better answer:

Carat Weight:

Cut information: Table size, depth percentage, crown angles, pavillion angles

Color Grade

Clarity Grade

Info on the kind of cert the stone has (i.e. GIA, AGS, EGL etc..)

Diamond markups are highly variable depending on the vendor. In very general terms, Brick and Mortar vendors usually have a higher markup than your average internet vendor. Stores like Tiffany, Harry Winston etc.... will also have a much higher markup based on brand name recognition.

LA

Rough_Rock
Sorry that would probably help. Here is what I know.

Round brilliant
1.51 c
G color
VG/VG
GIA
SI1
Ideal cut

What else should I know? Thanks

derekinla

Shiny_Rock
GIA certs only give a depth percentage and table size but they do not give the necassary crown and pavillion angles to be able to grade cut. I think you should ask the jeweler if he/she has access to such info. They can often run the stone on a Sarin or OGI Megascope to get all of angles and dimensions. Only with the complete cut information can a stone be found to be "ideal". AGS, on the other hand grades cut from a scale of 0 to 10 with 0 = ideal. If you have access to the GIA cert, you can at least let us know the table size, depth percentage, physical measurements to start.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Getting a Sarin done on a diamond should be fairly easy to do in LA. There should be a shop they can courier to for the analysis. The fee is nominal and you shouldn't have to pay. Ask the jeweler to have that done and then post the numbers for us or plug them in the HCA yourself.

You can also refer to the CUT grading charts to rate the CUT using the crown and pavillion %'s and angles measurements. Once you know the CUT rating, compare the price asked with current average prices charged by Price Scope Vendors using the Price Stats section. That should give you a good idea of the value of the diamond and where you stand in this deal.
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
In my opinion there is always room for pricing negotiation...as long as it's done respectfully and with tact.

What exactly makes up this 'ideal' diamond? You need more information like table, depth, crown and pavilion angles, girdle, culet, fluor, etc. Get the numbers off the GIA report AND ask them if there is a Sarin (and if not, tell them you need one). You need both Sarin and GIA report to get the full picture.

1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results