shape
carat
color
clarity

How much more would you pay for a J over a K?

L

lydial

I don't have a larger ring size but I do have large hands so I get what you mean about a three carat looking like a one carat on you. Just a thought in case you don't know, maybe you'd rather consider one of the elongated fancy cuts instead, since they appear larger on the hand (pear, marquise, radiant, oval...). That's why I got a marquise. It looks half again as big on my hand as my 3 carat cz does. Also, the fancy cuts average about 25% less expensive than the rounds.

That is very very good advice in general, but we are re-creating the "proposal" ring with just a larger center stone. Same style setting, same baguettes. This will be my 3rd MRB center - the first was pretty badly cut, but still sparkled, and it was a G, the second was a 60/60 H that had NO sparkle - just white. I want something that will throw rainbows. With the bright H white I was never that excited about how "bright" it was all the time so if this one appears optically more complex and dark at times I will not be broken hearted.

L

lydial

So, I am going to keep the K and have them set it. That is settled. I can not justify the expense unless I do not like the K, at which time I can just have a new stone cut or something I guess!

I am sticking to my plan. I told Layla, so the J is available if anyone wants to put it on hold!

I can not wait to post pictures so people can see if they love it or hate it. I am a very pale but yellow-y person so the blend of white metal and tinted stone will likely look great together with me wearing them!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Haha I know, I was so relieved just to finally make the damn decision. :)

Diamonds really are kind of crazy, so much money for tiny differences.

I did that exact same thing, kept upgrading (starting with a cz) but keeping the original shape and style.

Can't wait to see it!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lydial I am glad you reached a decision you are comfortable with. My guess is - once you have that CBI masterpiece, the performance over previous stones will knock your socks off to the point you wonder “Tint? Can’t see it over this amazing light show!” :wavey:

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
So, I am going to keep the K and have them set it. That is settled. I can not justify the expense unless I do not like the K, at which time I can just have a new stone cut or something I guess!

I am sticking to my plan. I told Layla, so the J is available if anyone wants to put it on hold!

I can not wait to post pictures so people can see if they love it or hate it. I am a very pale but yellow-y person so the blend of white metal and tinted stone will likely look great together with me wearing them!

Glad you were able to decide.

I already know I will love your K, as I have a K too and know what you will see in your beautiful CBI :appl:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or you can wait till the J comes in and ask Wink to compare it side by side to see if there is a big difference in tint between the two stones. Is $2500 worth one color grade higher? IMO, yes!.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or you can wait till the J comes in and ask Wink to compare it side by side to see if there is a big difference in tint between the two stones. Is $2500 worth one color grade higher? IMO, yes!.

I would take it a step further. Have Wink compare them side by side but NOT tell you which is which. Pick the one that you like the most.
If it is the K, then you just saved yourself $2500 for the best looking diamond in YOUR eyes.
If it is the J, then $2500 isn't much for an improvement in color, and the possibility of going over 9mm.
Regardless of your choice, I think CBI diamonds are gorgeous and I have four Fs and a Q that I love.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm starting to feel like Kenny and Karl K's love child, I've said this so many times lately....

"You can't judge color on a computer screen."

True dat.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm starting to feel like Kenny and Karl K's love child, I've said this so many times lately....

True dat.

I agree, and the J in the video is NOT the J that will be available. As others have said, J and K are a range, and the range gets WIDER as you go down the color grades. Only you can decide what is best for you.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

True dat.

I agree @mrs-b but you can compare diamonds on a computer screen for differences between the diamonds. It is not an absolute way to judge color but I think you can compare the color differences of the diamonds.

The only real way to judge color is in person of course.

L

lydial

Glad you were able to decide.

I already know I will love your K, as I have a K too and know what you will see in your beautiful CBI :appl:

Your stone is AMAZING! I am sure mine will be just as beautiful!

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
Your stone is AMAZING! I am sure mine will be just as beautiful!

Thank you so much, that is very kind of you to say. Yours will be too :wavey:

I watched the video you posted above of the K, J and I, face up I couldn’t see any difference in colour, size yes, that was clear to me. Side on, I could identify each of the colours, their colour differences were for me very slight though between each one, take the J away and the difference is more appreciable, but not as much as I would have expected between the K and I. I wonder where the K, J and I are in their respective colour grades (high, medium or low) that would be interesting to know.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would not even blink, I'd go for the J. If there is a chance they can hold the J for you to compare them both, go for that. $2500 is not that bad to go up a colour grade plus a smidge in size.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results