shape
carat
color
clarity

How much more do custom made rings cost?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

justinislooking

Shiny_Rock
Just wondering if I can even venture down the custom ring route. I have lots of ideas for what I want and nothing seems to be perfect. I''m trying to keep my budget around $2,000, but I imagine I will end up going over that.

I just want to know how much more it would cost to custom make a ring vs buying an already manufactured ring. Some actual examples would be beneficial.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 12:13:21 PM
Author:justinislooking
Just wondering if I can even venture down the custom ring route. I have lots of ideas for what I want and nothing seems to be perfect. I''m trying to keep my budget around $2,000, but I imagine I will end up going over that.

I just want to know how much more it would cost to custom make a ring vs buying an already manufactured ring. Some actual examples would be beneficial.
If you''re trying to achieve a particular look that already exists from a designer line, but with modifications. it might actually cost less.

Other things like the metal used, are there stones and if so what quality, as well as the intricacy of the design all come into play.

In other words, it might cost a little, alot or just might be worth it to get the original piece if your design is based off of one.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That’s a complicated question. The problem is that not every craftsman will approach every job in the same way and, for that matter, two may approach the same job quite differently. Add to this the fact that not everyone charges the same for their labors and you have a huge range of prices that will depend both on what you want and where you go to get it. The cheapest craftsman isn’t always the most suitable for every job, nor is the finest artist.

Almost every custom jeweler I know offers free estimates and will be happy to answer both of the above questions of how they think it’s best to approach a particular job and what they would charge (and how long they will take) to do that. Call or visit one or two that seem promising to you and see what he/she has to say. Very few of them bite.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

jmiranda

Rough_Rock
Hi there,

I''m from toronto, Canada and I am in the process of having a very intricate custom ring made. I went to a couple of jewelers and the price was an average $800 CAD plus or minus $100 CAD. The design i chose has a lot of metal work involved. Hope this helps.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Shopping around myself there is a huge variety in costs of production of custom rings. It depends a lot on the craftsmanship. Definitely go with someone who has a proven excellent track record of creating beautiful custom rings, and only get quotes from these folks. There will be people who can do it for less, but there can be a ton of issues and things that can go wrong and you want to avoid that.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had this setting made by Whiteflash a year ago in 14k white gold. It cost me just over $2000

maisiespshhalo1r45.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It really depends. Custom can cost significantly more than stock or significantly less. It just depends on the design you want. Can you post us your ideas and then maybe we can tell you what we think it may cost, and also recommend vendors to contact for qoutes?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
it really does vary on the intricacy of the design, mine cost about $1400 .90 ctw princess cut. in 14k yellow gold.
ETA: this was my original custom ering mount, but since then replaced it with something simpler, and therefore replaced it with this amethyst

Terryrhr_10323091.jpg

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 2:32:08 PM
Author: jmiranda
Hi there,

I''m from toronto, Canada and I am in the process of having a very intricate custom ring made. I went to a couple of jewelers and the price was an average $800 CAD plus or minus $100 CAD. The design i chose has a lot of metal work involved. Hope this helps.
Jmiranda, I''d love to see what ya got in the works! I just had a custom ring made in Toronto as well. It was made by P&H Designs. (more info in this thread: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/p-h-in-toronto-canada-amazing-workmanship.108680/

Mine had about .55 carats of diamonds (VS clarity), set in white gold (lots of it!
28.gif
) and cost around $ 1900. (It`s the ring in my avatar)

I would think you could get a ring custom made for $2000 or less...just shop around! Good luck!

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 3:03:26 PM
Author: Maisie
I had this setting made by Whiteflash a year ago in 14k white gold. It cost me just over $2000
LOVE that ring Maisie!!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 3:34:13 PM
Author: beau13

Date: 4/14/2009 3:03:26 PM
Author: Maisie
LOVE that ring Maisie!!
Thanks Beau. I am going to put a beautiful blue sapphire in the setting soon
30.gif

phil94

Rough_Rock

Here is what I learned in doing a custom piece, hopefully it can help:

1) Can cost less BUT may not be exactly what you wanted replicated so you have to be somewhat flexible in design (modified Tacori 2573 with .5ct FVS2 paves in Platinum for $2,120 compared to almost $4k)
2) Takes substantially longer time to get done (4months for me)
3) Find the right craftsman who can see previous work and probably more importantly you trust. (I had option to not pay until I got what I wanted at pre-negotiated price)
4) Patience - Patience - Patience...if you want it done right it takes a lot of effort on your part to make frequent visits to your jeweler to make sure what you envisioned is the actual product you will get. (5-6 visits for me)

Hope this helps, I am in the works of taking pictures so once I do I can post them for a better look at what kind of quality you can get with custom rings.

-Phil

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most important is good communication, with detailed sketches or waxes. Remember your vision may be a lot difference from the artists. It is good to see other work he/she has done.

Pricewise I would recommend a middle price unless you have plenty of money, with lower prices you run the risk of skimping on metal or the ring being more prone to bending, poorer quality melee stones, poorer finish on polish.

jmiranda

Rough_Rock
I left something out in my previous post. It is $800 just for the labor, not including the cost of the metal or the diamonds. I will post pictures when it is complete, probably in a month or so as i am still in the process of selecting the perfect diamond to be set in the ring.

justinislooking

Shiny_Rock
I would like something similar to this Scott Kay: Link

I think the perfect ring would actually be the Scott Kay setting # M1216RD10 which is like the one above, except the design crosses over in the front. It is on the Scott Kay website on the first page under Vintage. The only thing I would want different about it is for it to be setup for a princess stone. Do you all think that setting would work with V-prongs or would the prongs take away from the feel of the ring? Sometimes I feel like V-prongs are ''too big'' if you know what I mean.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 7:24:33 PM
Author: justinislooking
I would like something similar to this Scott Kay: Link

I think the perfect ring would actually be the Scott Kay setting # M1216RD10 which is like the one above, except the design crosses over in the front. It is on the Scott Kay website on the first page under Vintage. The only thing I would want different about it is for it to be setup for a princess stone. Do you all think that setting would work with V-prongs or would the prongs take away from the feel of the ring? Sometimes I feel like V-prongs are ''too big'' if you know what I mean.

I would check with Pearlmans (they carry Scott Kay) and see if Scott Kay can do the setting for a princess. Many times designers will make slight variations so you might check and see and at least get a quote to add to the other quotes you are getting.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto Ms. Salvo. A lot of designers will change heads for a different shaped stone and make other minor modifications.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results