shape
carat
color
clarity

How much jewellery do you own?

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I have been taking inventory today.

I was surprised to note that I didnt actually know how many items of jewellery I owned. I don't have that much jewellery either.

Sure, I remembered the major pieces, and the pieces I wear every day, but there were quite a few things that are just languishing at the bottom of the box.

I've decided Im not allowed to buy any more jewellery for a while. :nono:

Do you know exactly what you own in terms of type and number of items?

Or am I the only clueless one?

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I know down to the last 0.001ct. :bigsmile: It doesn't help though - I still have too much stuff. ;))

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I know all my pieces but I don't think I've counted them all up or calculated carat weight.

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I know exactly how much jewellery I own - not nearly enough! ;(

diva rose

Shiny_Rock
Trekkie|1308835002|2952832 said:
Yes, I know exactly how much jewellery I own - not nearly enough! ;(

Puahaha ~ same here..not enough! I need a pair of diamond studs, 5 stone ring plus some coloured stones for my collection.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
So I AM the only clueless one....

Does this mean I lose my PS badge? :cheeky:

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Nah I don't know exactly. Some things that I don't wear often are put away--these are mostly things that have been gifted to me. Everything I've bought myself I do know about.

I know its not on topic, but looking through my jewelry box just reminds me of when gold was cheaper. I have old 14k pendants and earrings that I remember buying for less than $100, no kidding.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know exactly. Not all of my pieces were high quality or built for me that I know the exact carat weights, although I could get pretty close if I spent an hour or so going through it all...

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not enough.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have 18 erings...thats about all I know.

And WAY too many unset stones. And they are mostly destined to be erings!

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
FrekeChild|1308882286|2953680 said:

FrekeChild, please forgive me if this is rude, but I've often wondered - what in your mind makes something an ering as opposed to just a ring? I've always thought of an ering as, well, a ring that is given upon engagement. Doesn't mean that one has to wear it all the time, or that other rings can't be worn on the left-hand ring finger in lieu of an engagement ring, but that a certain ring stands out. But you seem to have a different philosophy (with lots of beauties to show for it!) and I've been curious about it! If you've discussed this elsewhere, and I'm guessing you have, I'm sorry I haven't seen it.

Also, please forgive my threadjack. I own a wedding set, halo diamond studs, a small peridot lotus ring, two pearl necklaces, and pearl earrings, so it's very very easy to remember. Pretty much everything else is complete junk from NY & Company I don't remotely keep track of...I can't ever seem to pass up the "Buy One Get One 75% Off" sales they run for lots of fun little cheapie baubles!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL! An awful LOT!

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I own over 120 rings ranging from expensive high end to mall kiosk quality. And 8 strands of pearls that I can think of altho I KNOW there are more.

Back when I was overweight jewelry made me feel better so I SHOPPED. A LOT. I also had had items from both husbands. My husband now says he won't buy me anything because he honestly has no idea about my taste, which has changed considerably in the past few years. And he starts hearing ~crickets~ when I try to show him why I like a particular piece.

There are so many other pieces I can list but I won't, just let me say I have no business buying ANYTHING else. I have things that haven't seen the light of day in years.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
sillyberry|1308901011|2953841 said:
FrekeChild|1308882286|2953680 said:

FrekeChild, please forgive me if this is rude, but I've often wondered - what in your mind makes something an ering as opposed to just a ring? I've always thought of an ering as, well, a ring that is given upon engagement. Doesn't mean that one has to wear it all the time, or that other rings can't be worn on the left-hand ring finger in lieu of an engagement ring, but that a certain ring stands out. But you seem to have a different philosophy (with lots of beauties to show for it!) and I've been curious about it! If you've discussed this elsewhere, and I'm guessing you have, I'm sorry I haven't seen it.

Also, please forgive my threadjack. I own a wedding set, halo diamond studs, a small peridot lotus ring, two pearl necklaces, and pearl earrings, so it's very very easy to remember. Pretty much everything else is complete junk from NY & Company I don't remotely keep track of...I can't ever seem to pass up the "Buy One Get One 75% Off" sales they run for lots of fun little cheapie baubles!
If I wear it exclusively as an ering, it's an ering. I don't upgrade, I accumulate!

I've explained this in CS before (and probably other locations) but I don't wear RHRs on any regular basis, and I only have 1 that I wear as a RHR. I feel as though rings that are solitaires just look like erings. I know this makes no sense logically but I just can't get the idea out of my head. Solitaire style=ering. This is for me only obviously--there are MANY amazing halo engagement rings out there!

Having said that, I have two *real* erings, and herein lies part of my problem. One was the original setting that he proposed with, but it is now set with a stone that is not the original engagement stone--which, for the record, took many many hours/days/weeks/perhaps even months of searching to find. That stone is in a setting that my now husband and I had made together.

Both the *real* engagement ring (the one with the stone) and the original engagement ring (the one with the setting) are rings that I don't wear very often in case of accidentally damaging them. I only wear the *real* engagement ring on things like anniversaries. I rarely wear the original, as the stone in that setting somehow got a major chip in it on one of the very rare occasions that I wear it.

So, in summary, any ring (they are almost always solitaire style--very few accent diamonds/stones) I wear on my left hand with my wedding band is something I consider an ering. If I only considered the two major players to be "erings" I'd almost never be wearing a set. So I have about 18 rings I wear as erings. Only two are considered to be the real deal, but because of sentimentality and fear of damage, they never get worn. Plus they are all very very very different--from a 1.5 carat white tourmaline thats in an ornate diamond setting and looks like a big warm diamond, to a sleek funky bright blue tourmaline in a modern setting, to Big Blue in it's "it's all about the stone" minimalism but with some serious engraving...

There is only ONE wedding band, for the record. I have others that I will wear in place of the band sometimes (if another band looks nicer with the day's particular ering that is) but my little diamond band is one I bought myself, and my sapphire bezel is a 6 month anniversary band. And I'm always wearing my wedding band--if I wear a different band with my ering, my plain ol' wg band is chillin' on my right hand.

So yeah, I'm weird. But here are some pics!

IMG_9492 liz.jpg

IMG_6181 for Barry.jpg

IMG_9369 liz.jpg

IMG_5705 freke.jpg

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for taking the time to explain FC! Your erings are stunning!

Icelover

Shiny_Rock
Waaaaaaaaaay too mch jewelry for my own good and u have company....I don't remember what I have to the last piece :angryfire: so no more jewelry for me either!!(right)......on a serious note, cataloguing is not a bad idea. I am seriously considering doing it.... :wink2:

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Not nearly enough. I know my collection down to the carat. Wish I had so much I could forget some of it...what a nice surprise!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think I could make a pretty good guesstimate ... but I don't doubt I'd miss a few things. Dad was in the jewelry trade before he retired, and I got my first diamond ring for my 5th birthday, with jewelry being the present of choice for pretty much every birthday, Christmas, and Hanukkah after that ... and that's before I started collecting gems!

In terms of "things I have chosen myself as an adult" I could do a much better job, I think: it makes me feel a little less bad about wanting more when I already have so much. I mean, sure, I have those Henry Dunay brooches I never wear hanging around (what kind of a father gives a 14 year old girl the sorts of ornate brooches that more properly belong on the lapel of a Lady Who Lunches? my father does), but does that mitigate my desire for a Cartier tank watch, or a three carat marquise, or a riviere necklace? It does not.

(I should really look into selling the brooches. Maybe after the move ....)

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
I have a box of 'junk' jewellery - fashion earrings that look nice but were really cheap etc but as far as fine jewellery goes not enough! I'm 32 with a pre-schooler, a baby and an old house that we bought as a project so financially a big ticket piece isn't really justifiable for us at this time of our lives. I am however the only person I know with a 'day' wedding set and a 'best' wedding set, my (normally lovely) mother in law was aghast when I showed her the 'best' set which was a 30th birthday/push present because she couldn't imagine wearing anything other than her wedding ring. God knows what she will think when she finds out I am in the process of having the day set remade!

I think I am the only woman I know looking forward to her 40th birthday - I see a yellow diamond in the future!!

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know exactly what i have, because like somce said above it's not NEARLY enough :wacko: I have

2 diamond eternity bands (one is my ering and one is a gift from my aunt)
3 pairs of colored stone stud earrings - yellow topaz asscher cut, and blue and pink round - all 8 mm

Oh, and i have ONE pave diamond hoop earring. The other went missing almost two years ago, and i won't buy myself any nice earrings anymore, because i can't be trusted ;(

everything else in my jewelry box is junk :loopy:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've paired down what I own-- sold off gold to get nicer diamond pieces and also taken apart diamond pieces I didn't wear and had them made into pieces I do wear. I still have some pieces I don't wear but they are heirlooms that I feel I need to keep for coming generations. But regarding pieces that are truly MINE... I've got three necklaces/pendants. One engagement ring. One wedding band. And one blingy half eternity band. One pair of diamond earrings and a pair of enhancers for them. One watch.

What I want to get:

Diamond Studs.
Pearl earrings.
Pearl pendant.
Tennis bracelet.
Transitional or OEC RHR.
Earring Jackets.
Dressy Watch

Then I'll be done. Maybe. :Up_to_something:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results