shape
carat
color
clarity

How much is this diamond worth?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ericr

Rough_Rock
I have a GIA certified diamond and I''m trying to see how much I can get out of it. Its 1.04 carat, D color, SI1, princess cut, no florescence, ideal cut. Its currently in a plantinum setting. Is it best to sell diamond as loose or sell it with platinum band? Any ideas how much its worth or how much I could get out of it?

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
You''re not going to get what you paid for it unfortunately. Have you tried taking it back to the vendor you purchased it from? You could try selling it privately through Ebay or CL, I would keep it in the setting if you go that route.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/27/2009 3:16:12 PM
Author:ericr
I have a GIA certified diamond and I''m trying to see how much I can get out of it. Its 1.04 carat, D color, SI1, princess cut, no florescence, ideal cut. Its currently in a plantinum setting. Is it best to sell diamond as loose or sell it with platinum band? Any ideas how much its worth or how much I could get out of it?
Welcome Eric!

Ditto HH, regrettably it is usual to expect to get only 30 - 50% of what you paid back when reselling. This article could be useful reading for you.

http://journal.pricescope.com/Articles/66/1/A-consumer%e2%80%99s-guide-to-reselling-diamonds.aspx

ericr

Rough_Rock
Well, its such a sad story that my wife and I are getting divorced, therefore the reason I''m trying to sell it. I have it appraised at $9K so you''re telling me I''m only gonna get around $6K for it? I might as well keep it if I''m only getting 50% and can reuse diamond with diff band if I get married again?

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
You might get more from a private sale vs. a vendor. The fact that it's a graded stone is good in that regard. Do you know if the vendor you purchased it from has an upgrade policy? If so, you could keep the stone for a future event and then upgrade to a different stone for the new recipient.

I'm sorry to hear about your divorce. Have you consulted with your attorney about what to do with the ring? He/she might tell you that if you sell the ring before the divorce is finalized, your ex is due 50% of the proceeds.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/27/2009 3:32:16 PM
Author: ericr
Well, its such a sad story that my wife and I are getting divorced, therefore the reason I''m trying to sell it. I have it appraised at $9K so you''re telling me I''m only gonna get around $6K for it? I might as well keep it if I''m only getting 50% and can reuse diamond with diff band if I get married again?
I am really sorry but unfortunately diamonds do not hold their value on the secondary market. I am also very sorry to hear you are getting divorced.

ericr

Rough_Rock
I can see what my vender says. I bought it back in 2006 when we got engaged, was only married for 1 year. Should I just keep it or sell it for what I can? Any thoughts? Also private seller might be best since he''ll get good deal and so will I.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/27/2009 3:57:11 PM
Author: ericr
I can see what my vender says. I bought it back in 2006 when we got engaged, was only married for 1 year. Should I just keep it or sell it for what I can? Any thoughts? Also private seller might be best since he''ll get good deal and so will I.
Try your vendor first, if not then you could try selling it privately or consignment if you aren''t in a rush - some online websites have a consignment programme.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results