shape
carat
color
clarity

How much for 1.30 Trapezoid pair? Overpriced?

kjd79

Rough_Rock
Hi All! Thank you for the help I have gotten so far on the re-design of my engagement ring. I'm ready to pull the trigger on the e-ring, but I am wondering if the trapezoids I am getting are overpriced. It is hard to find loose side stones for purchase online to compare pricing. I'm looking around 8000 just for the stones... 1.30 TCW. Incredibly pricey? I just have no idea what to compare it to.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Hi All! Thank you for the help I have gotten so far on the re-design of my engagement ring. I'm ready to pull the trigger on the e-ring, but I am wondering if the trapezoids I am getting are overpriced. It is hard to find loose side stones for purchase online to compare pricing. I'm looking around 8000 just for the stones... 1.30 TCW. Incredibly pricey? I just have no idea what to compare it to.

Color and clarity?

kjd79

Rough_Rock
Sorry. G - VS/SI1

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That seems like a lot to me. Especially for sub 1ct side stones.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I'm not a side stone expert by any means but, yes, this seems marked up. Here's a post from Parks Fine Group for comparison. If you are in the US, you may want to message him and see what he has in his vault.

PearCraze

Rough_Rock
That seems like a lot- go to Dayagi diamonds online and pick out a pair and ask for a quote. They get back to you very quickly without any pressure to buy. The stones I got from them were really sparkly. I got a quote for a 1 ctw G VS and it was around 2700. I would expect 1.3 to be less than 4k.

Last edited:

kjd79

Rough_Rock
I'm not a side stone expert by any means but, yes, this seems marked up. Here's a post from Parks Fine Group for comparison. If you are in the US, you may want to message him and see what he has in his vault.

Thanks. I'm not really sure what to do at this point. Basically, for $19k total I'm getting the two 1.30 tcw traps with CAD done and set in platinum with my own 1.29 ct emerald cut AND an east-west eternity in platinum with (11) .42 emerald cuts totaling 4.62 tcw. If that is a ''fair" deal in general then I can get over the upcharge on the side stones lol.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks. I'm not really sure what to do at this point. Basically, for $19k total I'm getting the two 1.30 tcw traps with CAD done and set in platinum with my own 1.29 ct emerald cut AND an east-west eternity in platinum with (11) .42 emerald cuts totaling 4.62 tcw. If that is a ''fair" deal in general then I can get over the upcharge on the side stones lol.

Is this from one of the vetted PS vendors? A 4.6ct eternity is definitely going to be $$ but this still seems overpriced.

Heres a very high quality 5ct emerald eternity in plat. https://idjewelry.com/5-00-ct-class...e-yellow-rose-gold-or-platinum-is-yge500.html. Looks like 7950 for most size options when choosing platinum.

No idea how much the setting you want 'should' cost. Depends on how intricate and heavy it is. I expect that the side stones would be less than 4k, so that leaves about 7k for the CAD + setting, which seems like a lot, but again I dont know how detailed your setting is.

kjd79

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your response. No, it is someone local to me. The setting is not that detailed. I was going to put some diamonds from some of my grandmother’s ring in it but decided not to because I feel it will be too busy. Here is the CAD and wax but it will not have the stones on the basket etc. My current center stone and baguettes are being incorporated. 3536665E-07E9-4FEC-A0BA-2642AE01DAEC.jpeg EC5C2AAD-1480-4767-A903-3C72610F3A97.jpeg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your response. No, it is someone local to me. The setting is not that detailed. I was going to put some diamonds from some of my grandmother’s ring in it but decided not to because I feel it will be too busy. Here is the CAD and wax but it will not have the stones on the basket etc. My current center stone and baguettes are being incorporated. 3536665E-07E9-4FEC-A0BA-2642AE01DAEC.jpeg EC5C2AAD-1480-4767-A903-3C72610F3A97.jpeg

So the only diamonds you are buying from them is the pair? And no stones on the side, so it's just the platinum itself? That seems Extremely overpriced

kjd79

Rough_Rock
So the only diamonds you are buying from them is the pair? And no stones on the side, so it's just the platinum itself? That seems Extremely overpriced

Yes, supposedly the engagement ring is around 9000 (only thing from them is CADs -they did two different designs- and two side stones plus platinum setting). Then the eternity ring totalling 4.62 is 10k. I'm using a private jeweler who has a guy who does the setting, one who does the CADs and then a "diamond guy." So I'm guessing there are two many hats in the ring...

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, supposedly the engagement ring is around 9000 (only thing from them is CADs -they did two different designs- and two side stones plus platinum setting). Then the eternity ring totalling 4.62 is 10k. I'm using a private jeweler who has a guy who does the setting, one who does the CADs and then a "diamond guy." So I'm guessing there are two many hats in the ring...

Yeah, I think thats all pretty overpriced given that IDJ has that amazing 5ct band for 7800. And I honestly dont understand how the sidestones and plat plain ring could possibly be 9k

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I think thats all pretty overpriced given that IDJ has that amazing 5ct band for 7800. And I honestly dont understand how the sidestones and plat plain ring
Oh my that is high. Can you abort? And just pay for cads? I would really be tempted to do that; it would potentially save a lot.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results