shape
carat
color
clarity

How much does rose gold enhance pink diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MaryAlaina

Brilliant_Rock
I have a .79ct. light pink diamond. On white paper, it definitely looks pink, but in certain lighting, it doesn''t look pink at all! (I should take a picture of that. It looks like a white diamond in certain lights.) I am planning on having it set in this kind of mounting:

pinkmarqsample.jpg

except having it bezel set with rose gold. Here is a picture I took of the stone on white paper:

pinkstone.jpg

Will it look at least that pink once set? I''m so afraid it won''t! Can anyone tell me how much the rose gold will help the color show???

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
MA,

I don''t have any pink diamonds (I wish!) but do you recall David''s (DBL) pink pear that he had set in the split shank setting? The head was in rose gold and it made the stone look so much more pink. I''ve come across a few before and after pictures with pink stones in rose gold....and the difference is amazing. I think with pink diamonds, rose gold is the only way to go!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Allot. And a shallow cut should be at an advantage, I think.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a pink diamond in a rose-gold bezel...I''ll keep looking for more examples. I love this idea!!!

pinkypink.gif

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
When I saw the words pink diamond and rose gold, I couldn''t wait to open your post.....two of my favorites......I think it depends on what the rose gold looks like....there are different combinations of metals used at times, which changes the look....White gold - plat would always work, too.....

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think it would be fabulous. i saw a colorless/white diamond set in a rose gold bezel and the band itself was green gold. at first i thought it was hideous, then i put it on and didn''t want to take it off. i''m considering a champagne diamond bezeled by rose gold.

peace, movie zombie

MaryAlaina

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/12/2005 3:13:48 PM
Author: movie zombie
i saw a colorless/white diamond set in a rose gold bezel

Did the stone take on a pinkish hue?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
no, it did not. and it was a complete cone bezel. the diamond was really a high quality G, if i remember right. but i think your pink diamond would be stunning in a pink gold bezel. rather than framing and limiting your diamond, it should give it an ''expanded'' look, imho.

peace, movie zombie

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2005 3:13:48 PM

i''m considering a champagne diamond bezeled by rose gold.

peace, movie zombie
I''ve been considering the same thing, Movie Zombie. I have a pendant in mind and would love a C4 to C5 set in rose gold bezel. I''m hoping that brings out a pink-champagne look.

Maryailana, I think the rose gold will definitely enhance the pink in your stone. It looks very pink already in the picture you took. I can''t wait to see the finished ring. Did you finally get through to Jim and Josh at DCD?

DiamondLil

MaryAlaina

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/12/2005 9:26
6.gif
8 PM
Author: diamondlil
Maryailana, I think the rose gold will definitely enhance the pink in your stone. It looks very pink already in the picture you took. I can''t wait to see the finished ring. Did you finally get through to Jim and Josh at DCD?

No, they never bothered to reply to my email. I absolutely HATE to make phone calls, so they lost out on my business.

The stone looks pink against white, and in certain lights, but in other lights and against other colors, it looks white! That is what is making me so nervous.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Other than JHo''s e-ring I have never seen any pink stones that weren''t in Rose Gold. I would think that it aids inthe pinkness.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
This is a good question. After all, they say setting a slightly yellow diamond in yellow gold can make it look whiter--would the same apply with a pink diamond in a pink bezel?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
the diamond i saw was really colorless with lots of sparkle, actually a H&A.

since the light should come in and go back out the table, it is my guess, and its only a guess, that when the light strikes your diamond and it looks white, that won''t change in a pink bezel. however, the light in which your diamond shows up at its pinkest [is there such a word?] would find itself enhanced by the pink/red gold bezel.

re trying for a pink champagne look: my intent is to really define the diamond. i''d think that if you''re going for the pink champagne look, it will be important to look at whether your champagne has brown or yellow undertones. but this too is only a guess.

what i really liked about the pink bezel was looking at it from the side on my finger. it was just so gorgeous. and i''ve never been a big fan of pink/red gold!

and that''s a problem with hanging out here on pricescope: things i didn''t like before, i now want in a big way. for instance, those halo settings.....

peace, movie zombie

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/13/2005 2:29:51 AM

the diamond i saw was really colorless with lots of sparkle, actually a H&A.
The cut should make some difference - you need some windowing to see the background behind the stone and some light over that background - be it from the sides of the mounting (not a totally closed bezel) or through the stone (=lots of "lickeage").

Perhaps David from DBL would care to comment
34.gif

Anyway, no setting can make the actual color of a diamond stronger. If this one is not pink enough for you... it may never be even if painted on.
6.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2005 9:35:43 PM
Author: MaryAlaina

Date: 3/12/2005 9:26
6.gif
8 PM
Author: diamondlil

No, they never bothered to reply to my email. I absolutely HATE to make phone calls, so they lost out on my business.

The stone looks pink against white, and in certain lights, but in other lights and against other colors, it looks white! That is what is making me so nervous.

Oh, I''m sorry to hear that, MA. I know what you mean about hating to make phone calls. I hesitate as well and would prefer an initial dialog through email.

Pink is my favorite color, and I''ve only seen 2 pink diamonds (other than melee) in person. They were both very light and set in rose gold prongs with white metal shanks.

Can you tell us more about your new diamond?
30.gif

DiamondLil

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2005 2:29:51 AM

and that''s a problem with hanging out here on pricescope: things i didn''t like before, i now want in a big way. for instance, those halo settings.....

peace, movie zombie
LOL, I can relate to this. I have a halo setting in the works. Never liked them until about 6 months ago. A year ago, I never would have wanted platinum either! PS is an addiction. I''ve tried to wean myself, but with no 12-step program, I''m thinking cold turkey is the only way . . . . . but not yet.
2.gif

DiamondLil

MaryAlaina

Brilliant_Rock
I just took some more pictures of my pink diamond, against different colors, so you can see what I''m talking about. ALL of these pictures are of the SAME diamond (which I also have pictured above).

pinkstone2.jpg

pinkstone3.jpg

pinkstone4.jpg

pinkstone5.jpg

Can you see why I''m so nervous? It doesn''t always even look pink!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think it would be lovely but i''ll admit to being inexperienced AND prejudiced.

as a test, can you find a jeweler with some pink gold bands then take your diamond in and just set it on top of them to try and get an idea? and look at it in different light if you can.

and if not gold bands, try to find something like george sawyer''s melded metals band, one with lots of pink/red gold in it, perhaps the ''h'' and set it next to or on top to get an idea.

peace, movie zombie

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Everyone!

Someone in this thread said " After all, they say setting a slightly yellow diamond in yellow gold can make it look whiter--would the same apply with a pink diamond in a pink bezel?" I find the opposite to be true- a well cut K-L-M in white metal looks like a white diamond.
A D set into a yellow gold bezel looks a lot darker than if it was set into whate metal.

When setting pink diamonds the gold makes a huge difference.
BUT- the problem is- you can''t tell how a faint pink is going to set up till AFTER you make the ring.
We''ve gotten lucky on a number of occasions
Before:
122a.JPG

After
122rh.JPG

But there have been stones with even more pinkish-ness that looked far less pink after setting

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is in fact the very pear stone I was talking about at the top of the thread.

Is there some way to get ahold of a pink gold head at a local jeweler''s place and see how the stone looks while cradled in it?

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe- Rose ( pink) gold parts are not commonly manufactured unless it''s a special order. But even if you find a rose gold head, it may not answer the question. The "pinkness" of the diamond''s appearance depends on too many factors besides the head.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results