shape
carat
color
clarity

How much does it cost to have a diamond set?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kait86b

Rough_Rock
I have found the setting I want but it has to be ordered online. My fiance wants to buy the diamond from a local jeweler and have them set it. What would be a resonable price to pay for this? I have read that some of you say it is ridiculously high.
Thanks!

isthree00

Rough_Rock
I'm in the same boat and looking for some similar info. . . anyone?

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Depends on the size of the diamond. For a 1 carat, you probably will find setting charges ranging from $35 to $75 from most jewelers.

acanuck

Rough_Rock
My guess is that if you're looking to buy the diamond from them they will be very willing to work with you - even include it in the purchase price ie. free. If you've found the diamond locally bring in the picture of the setting you saw on the internet, they may be able to find something that will come very close - it can't hurt to ask.

I just did the opposite - bought a diamond off the internet and a setting locally. The price of the setting included having the stone set.

phiremin

Rough_Rock
I bought my diamond from Whiteflash and the setting from a local store in North Jersey. The local store wanted $150 to set it (they were a little ticked that I didn't want to but the diamond from them). I went to another local store and had it done for $50.

spicolicpa

Shiny_Rock
I am in a similiar situation but I think I could get the best deal by buying the stone online, the ring online, and getting it set near my house in the LA diamond district.

Has anyone done this? (online Ring+online Diamond+Brick jeweler=????)

In tangent with the response abpove regarding the person who bought their setting online,; WHere did you get it if I might ask? And where else did you look?

Thanks

weddingmooner

Rough_Rock
I bought a 1.29 ct I VS2 H&A diamond from Whiteflash. I planned to have it set at a local brick and mortar store, but had no idea where to start. Since I knew exactly what I wanted (platinum 6-prong Tiffany-style solitaire), my only condiseration was price (and service). So of course I picked up the phone and called every local jeweler I could find and built a spreadsheet that included setting cost, labor, etc. and sorted by price. A local jeweler (Phoenix area) Langert Netzband had the lowest price, but when I went there to have it set they explained that didn't include the setting. I called the next lowest priced vendor and he told me that the price he quoted me ($350) included the setting and labor so off I went with my new aquisition.

I ended up going with a nice family-owned outfit called Wedding Ring and Gold Gallery who not only treated me extremely well, they set the diamond beautifully and under deadline. And they do all their work inhouse (a BIG plus). I would recommend both the online and brick and mortar store to anyone.

Thus, I would suggest comparison shopping if you have a good idea what kind of setting you want and let your fingers do the walking. I would also recommend a Mom N' Pop over a mall jeweler anyday.
Thanks,

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
If you decide to get your stone set somewhere other than where you purchased your diamond, please know they will most likely not be held responsible for any damage that may occur to the stone during setting. So if you choose to go this route make sure you have your diamond insured ahead of time.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results