shape
carat
color
clarity

How much does clarity matter in a halo?

mginthecity

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,
I'm in the process of getting a new diamond and setting. One place I went to has the exact setting I want, but can only do it with H/SI2 diamonds in my price range. The other place has a better connection on stones, so I could get F/VS1 diamonds for the same price -- however, they'd be trying to replicate the setting from my photos/sketches, so there's no guarantee it will be the same. The first place brought up the point that once a stone is set in a halo, as long as it's eye clean, does it really matter if it's SI2? I see that point, however, when you're spending a lot of money, I also think I'd rather get a cleaner stone with a higher value. What's everyone's take? Is it OK to get an SI2 stone in a halo that will look beautiful to the eye, or do you think it's always better to go for the better quality?

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
I think it depends a little on whether the vendor is using SI2 as euphemism for poor quality stones or really mean SI clarity. I don't have an issue with SI clarity stones as long as it really does mean clarity and is not being used to mean "crummy cut" to upsell you to VS. My guess is they probably mean poorly cut.

Sorry- I'm reading it again...do you mean SI melee stones or SI for the center stone? Depending on the size diamond you want for the center, a WELL CUT SI should be ok. COlor and clarity do not generally control the sparkle factor of a diamond. A well cut stone does. A well cut stone will also be cut so that some inclusions are easily masked.

If you are going to buy a center from a B/M store, I hope you at least let people here help give you some guide lines for buying so you don't get get sold the color/clarity hype of most B/M stores. Do you have any knowledge of diamonds?

Or- will the place that has the setting you want allow you to bring your own stone in for setting and people here could help you get a good one? There are quite a few very respectable online vendors here.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
EDIt- totally misunderstood you were talking about diamonds in the setting. I would personally keep it as high as possible in color and clarity. I wouldn't cheap out on the halo.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd not even consider less than VS. Settings cost too much to use low quality melee, to me. I'd honestly rather have a solitaire than a poor quality halo ring (overall). And if it is going to be a well made ring, it deserves nice melee!!!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi mginthecity,
Are you being shown diamonds with GIA reports?
If not, the grades are suspect.
Unfortunately it already sounds kind of suspect. One guy charging the same for H/SI2 as another for F/VS1 because of "bad connections"?
Are these sellers in jewelry stores, or on the internet?

To answer the question in a more general sense:
No- Clarity per-se does not matter in a halo, UNLESS- it does.
In other words, it's a broad question- and depends on taste.
Say one person loves a diamond graded SI2, and can't see any inclusions.
Another person might have better eyes, see an inclusion and not be happy with an SI2 someone else loves.
Not all SI2 diamonds are created equal.

mginthecity

Rough_Rock
Sorry for the confusion, just talking about the clarity of the center stone here, not the stones in the melee :)

I have a decent knowledge of diamonds, to the degree of knowing that I don't want a thick girdle, small table, low depth, etc. and I agree that regardless of the clarity, the cut of the center stone is key. My problem is more philosophical when it comes to the clarity/inclusions - do I really need a sparkly, clean VS1 if it's all going to look the same when surrounded by a really pretty setting and halo? I just can't decide, and unfortunately the shop that makes the setting I like is pricier on their diamonds because they make their settings in house but get diamonds from outside dealers, whereas I know I could get the diamond I want for the price I want at another place that has their own diamonds, but am gambling on how the setting will turn out in comparison to the original at the other store. Hope that makes sense. If I didn't mind the inclusions I could go with an SI2 stone from the place with the setting and be done with it, but I'm thinking it's better to go with a better stone at the other place and try to replicate the setting. Just curious to hear what other people think about SI2 center stones, vs. going with something higher clarity-wise. Thanks!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am confused whether the OP is asking about the center diamond or the diamond melees in the halo. Perhaps it's just me. :bigsmile:

ETA
Looks like I missed the answer just above me. Yes, you need an eye clean and well cut aka sparkly center diamond no matter how you plan to set it. Doesn't matter if it is a VS or SI as long as it is eye clean. I say this because some SI stones are surprisingly eye clean. I agree with DiamondSeeker that there is a huge price difference between an F VS2 and H SI2.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness! You were asking about a center stone! You want GIA Excellent cut for starters, and only then can you compare prices! And I can 100% promise you that a GIA X FVS1 isn't going to cost anything close to an H SI2!

Until you know exactly what is on the grading report, you have no idea what you'd be getting. So if these stones are not GIA graded, tell them to forget it and only offer you those.

I think you can likely get a better deal from an online vendor, but come back here with GIA report numbers and prices and we can tell you if the cut looks good and how the price compares with other stones. G-H-I color, SI1 is a good average place to begin! Do not even think about the setting yet. We can help you with that as well once you have identified a diamond.

mginthecity

Rough_Rock
Thanks! Yes, I'm only looking at GIA stones (and hope my last post clarified this is just about the center stone). I'm going back on Monday to look at stones, so I will post the specs here for sure if can't make a decision.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd call and tell them in advance that you only want to see GIA excellent. They may have to call some in from their supplier.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1363373772|3405716 said:
I'd call and tell them in advance that you only want to see GIA excellent. They may have to call some in from their supplier.

You could also look at AGS 000 too.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sortmon|1363374085|3405718 said:
diamondseeker2006|1363373772|3405716 said:

You could also look at AGS 000 too.

Yes, that is true. They are such a tiny percentage of stones available that I didn't mention it. The jewelers I spoke with locally originally had no AGS stones on their supplier lists at all at that time. But it is possible they can access some.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
My DH bought my diamond before PS so when we traded up/in I had to go with the B&M store that he orginally purchased my diamond through who only carried EGL. With all the info on PS I armed myself and upgraded to a lovely SI2 that to me is eye clean. It has 2 inclusions that I can see when I squint at it from a certain angle at about 2 inches away. However, it has a great spread and 1.1 on the HCA. So for me the SI2 worked. I haloed it and no one has EVER said anything negative about my diamond. I know most wouldn't consider my diamond SI2 but I1, but honestly it doesn't bother me either way. I absolutely love it. Now if I could go back in time and have DH purchase from an online vendor with a better upgrade policey- you bet your boot straps I would have gotten something different. But overall I'm happy and I loVVVEEEE my diamond. With good SI2 they are few and far between so just make sure you really loop them and see them in person (in all different lightening). The majority of PSers don't like EGL and even more don't like SI2, but I don't think you should discount them quickly. You just need lots of patience going through them.

Here is a picture for reference...please excuse how dirty it is. It was an outside play day with my kids afternoon ;))

Attachments

• _37.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 655

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Sarabear.....I hear ya girl. But i think she does have the opportunity to get the GIA stones. You and I have similar situation in that I had to trade in my earrings in order to upgrade my studs and sell gold. So I opted for the EGL studs even though I would have preferrred to go with an evendor.

If I had to do it again and it was enagement 3X GIA excellent cut. G-H eye clean S1I (so I could go up in size)

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Perhaps you should consider other options where you can get the stone and setting you want. Why chose? Does your favored setting person set outside stones?

What is your budget? Size preference? Photo of the setting you want?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results