shape
carat
color
clarity

How much do you tip?

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
the other thread made me curious. If you're willing to share, how much do you tip various people for their services? I know it depends partly on where you live, and of course we tip more for better service/product, but I'm never quite sure how much to tip for certain services.

I tip 18-20% for average service at restaurants, maybe 15% for minimum service /Chinese restaurants. 20% for haircuts, massages and nails, and 25% for ickier jobs like waxing. I really hate most cab rides and tips can vary wildly for me. I still get a little weird about tipping housekeeping and doormen at hotels. I have a feeling I under tip for food delivery. I don't usually tip baristas unless it's a local coffee shop. :oops: And I recently found out that some people tip Uber drivers! I had no idea.

The expecting tipping everywhere can be annoying, especially when waiters expect 20% but don't do a good job. I still tip because I don't want to be maligned as a "cheap Chinese lady," but I wish I felt free to tip less generously for poor service.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Interesting topic. I usually tip 20-25% at a restaurant for good service. 15% if it's just ok. For food delivery it's usually $5 regardless of the amount of food, because I figure the delivery person is only coming to my house 1x whereas a waiter/bartender will keep coming back.

For haircut/color, pedicure or massage I tip 20%.

I hate taxis too, so will take Uber whenever possible. I don't tip Uber drivers, but if I do have to take a taxi I usually tip between 10-20%. I tip less if they drive unsafely (I was scared out of my mind on Saturday night!) or if they obviously go out of their way to take a longer route. :angryfire:

I've never tipped housekeeping staff at a hotel. I usually re-use my towels because I don't like the idea of housekeeping staff coming into my room and possibly going through my stuff. And I'll call down and request new towels/linens/toiletries if I need them. And I usually tip the bellhop/bag service folks $5 if I'm asking them to hold my bag after I check out.

I'm curious to see what everyone else's responses are.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto pretty much everything you said. But most of the time, at LEAST 20%.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO, most Chinese restaurants does not deserve a 20% tip. 15% max. 90% of the Chinese restaurant service are terrible.. :wall:

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Lil Misfit|1456186051|3994185 said:
I've never tipped housekeeping staff at a hotel. I usually re-use my towels because I don't like the idea of housekeeping staff coming into my room and possibly going through my stuff. And I'll call down and request new towels/linens/toiletries if I need them. And I usually tip the bellhop/bag service folks $5 if I'm asking them to hold my bag after I check out.

Do you tell the front desk in advance that you don't want housekeeping service, or how does that work? I hide everything when I leave in the AM, even my toothbrush (don't want cleaning solution/rags getting on my toiletries!). I try to tip housekeeping daily but my husband thinks tipping at the end of the stay is better. My view is that the same person isn't cleaning your room every single day, so each cleaner should get some of the tip.

I tip for carrying bags or holding them, but don't always tip when someone opens a door when I come in with packages or when someone hails me a cab. Partly because giving $1 for hailing a cab seems cheap and I guess I'd rather give nothing than be cheap. :(

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
blingbunny10|1456189271|3994213 said:
Lil Misfit|1456186051|3994185 said:

Do you tell the front desk in advance that you don't want housekeeping service, or how does that work? I hide everything when I leave in the AM, even my toothbrush (don't want cleaning solution/rags getting on my toiletries!). I try to tip housekeeping daily but my husband thinks tipping at the end of the stay is better. My view is that the same person isn't cleaning your room every single day, so each cleaner should get some of the tip.

I tip for carrying bags or holding them, but don't always tip when someone opens a door when I come in with packages or when someone hails me a cab. Partly because giving $1 for hailing a cab seems cheap and I guess I'd rather give nothing than be cheap. :(

In a trade magazine, I read a list of suggested tips for hotel employees. It suggests tipping everyday because they switch out the maids. A coworker also suggested if you need a few extras, then tip more in day one with a note like "Please keep the mini vodka bottles well stocked." He says he gets good service during his trip. I just keep it an even amount every day.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like Canadians look cheap because we tip less, but our workers usually make a more liveable wage. Or maybe that's my justification for being cheap haha.

Sit down/service Restaurants: When I go to a restaurant, the tip starts at 15%. It will go up or down depending on service. 15% is basic service, you've done the bare minimum. I've given 0% tip before. I've given 33+% tip. You do not deserve a tip, you are not entitled to a tip. You do your job well and get a tip. Up here, a waitress makes the same as a cashier at the gap (assuming just minimum wage), but also gets tips. So, yeah, I expect good service if you want a tip.

Buffet/self serve 'restaurant': 5%, 10% max.

Pickup: 0-5% (I consider this subway as well as picking up pizza from pizza hut)

Delivery: 10%

Cab rides: I don't take cabs a lot, but I'd say probably 10%?

Uber: I don't usually tip ubers, however I remember one driver who was amazing, I gave him $5 on a ~12$ trip. He was worth it!

Spa services: 15-20%. I don't tip more for 'icky' services. Usually, they're already paid more for that (at least at the spas I have experience with).

I don't tip baristas in general. I don't tip doormen or housekeeping.

Now, all this goes out the window when we go someplace like mexico. I tip literally everyone there. I KNOW they aren't making anything close to a living wage, and they are usually 100x better than the staff I meet up here. They work hard and they absolutely deserve their tips.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
A lot. 20% or more - unless I get bad service and then the tip reflects the level of service that I received.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1456192208|3994226 said:
A lot. 20% or more - unless I get bad service and then the tip reflects the level of service that I received.
:$$): I wanna be your waiter... :wink2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For good service I tip generously for poor service I don't usually tip. 25%-30% for great service at a restaurant no problem. Give me poor service I might not tip at all or give a poor tip to match the service. A good (or any) tip is not guaranteed in my mind and matches the level of service I receive.

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
missy|1456234665|3994377 said:
For good service I tip generously for poor service I don't usually tip. 25%-30% for great service at a restaurant no problem. Give me poor service I might not tip at all or give a poor tip to match the service. A good (or any) tip is not guaranteed in my mind and matches the level of service I receive.

Do you think people who give bad or "meh" service know that you're not tipping them well as a direct result of their own behavior? I always wonder, and I've actually thought of leaving a note on the receipt. :cheeky: Although with terrIble service, my husband and I have actually left after getting seated but before ordering food.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm with momhappy...at least 20% unless service was poor. Most service related fields are just plain hard work (in my opinion) and I appreciate being in a position to enjoy those things - like going out to dinner, getting a manicure, hair cut etc.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Unless it was catastrophic, I usually tip 20%.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
blingbunny10|1456236074|3994380 said:
missy|1456234665|3994377 said:

Do you think people who give bad or "meh" service know that you're not tipping them well as a direct result of their own behavior? I always wonder, and I've actually thought of leaving a note on the receipt. :cheeky: Although with terrIble service, my husband and I have actually left after getting seated but before ordering food.

It happens so rarely (that we receive bad service) but yes I would tell the server.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
telephone89|1456190940|3994221 said:
I feel like Canadians look cheap because we tip less, but our workers usually make a more liveable wage. Or maybe that's my justification for being cheap haha.

Sit down/service Restaurants: When I go to a restaurant, the tip starts at 15%. It will go up or down depending on service. 15% is basic service, you've done the bare minimum. I've given 0% tip before. I've given 33+% tip. You do not deserve a tip, you are not entitled to a tip. You do your job well and get a tip. Up here, a waitress makes the same as a cashier at the gap (assuming just minimum wage), but also gets tips. So, yeah, I expect good service if you want a tip.

Buffet/self serve 'restaurant': 5%, 10% max.

Pickup: 0-5% (I consider this subway as well as picking up pizza from pizza hut)

Delivery: 10%

Cab rides: I don't take cabs a lot, but I'd say probably 10%?

Uber: I don't usually tip ubers, however I remember one driver who was amazing, I gave him $5 on a ~12$ trip. He was worth it!

Spa services: 15-20%. I don't tip more for 'icky' services. Usually, they're already paid more for that (at least at the spas I have experience with).

I don't tip baristas in general. I don't tip doormen or housekeeping.

Now, all this goes out the window when we go someplace like mexico. I tip literally everyone there. I KNOW they aren't making anything close to a living wage, and they are usually 100x better than the staff I meet up here. They work hard and they absolutely deserve their tips.

Pretty much all of this. Especially the bolded part. Tipping has gotten out of control.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At least %20 unless you really suck.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results