shape
carat
color
clarity

how much do you think this repair would cost?

sweet_pea

Shiny_Rock
I have my grandmothers old diamond ring and I need it repaired. It's yellow gold with a row of 9 small marquise cut diamonds. One of the diamonds has fallen out and the prongs are looking worn, and I'll need it sized down. I have the diamond that fell out, so I don't have to worry about that. How much do you think it would cost to repair this. I have no idea since I'm new at this type of stuff. I think I want to take it to the small local jeweler, if that would help you when thinking about pricing.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would guess a few hundred, maybe 200-300, but it might depend on the setting and vary a lot by the store.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mom has a similar ring with similar wear plus she lost a diamond. She had to pay about $800 to get a new diamond and have her prongs rebuilt.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't know if anyone can really give you an estimate out of blue, it really depends on the type of damage and the extent of it.

Best thing to do is to take it somewhere you know has a good bench and get an estimate. There's no obligation, and if you think it's too much you just say, thank you I'll think about it.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Most shops price these sorts of things on a per tip rebuilt basis and so it depends on how many tips need rebuilding. You should also ask the bench person how they go about re-tipping the prongs. The only legitimate way to do this is to flatten some wire and solder it in place, forming the tip after this new, hard tip is in place. I have known bench guy's who will just pile molten solder on top of the old prong and call it good. This is not good, as solder is soft and when piled up like that it tends to become porous and so the repair does not last more than a year or two and then you're back where you started. Keep in mind that if the setting is too badly worn, you may be much better off, price wise, just having the diamonds set into a new and similar setting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results