shape
carat
color
clarity

how much do you think it actually worth?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

swl

Shiny_Rock
I don''t know much about color gems, but this Tiffany legacy ring is gorgeous. I am just wondering without the big "TIFFANY" brand name, how much do you think it actually worth (given tourmaline''s market price, which i don''t really know...)

Ring Info: Ring with a 1.71-carat Legacy-cut green tourmaline and round brilliant diamonds in platinum.
Price: 7,300

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/item.aspx?sku=23698188&cid=287466&search_params=s+5-p+3-c+287466-r+101323351-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t&mcat=148211

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/17/2009 2:50:02 PM
Author:swl
I don't know much about color gems, but this Tiffany legacy ring is gorgeous. I am just wondering without the big 'TIFFANY' brand name, how much do you think it actually worth (given tourmaline's market price, which i don't really know...)

Ring Info: Ring with a 1.71-carat Legacy-cut green tourmaline and round brilliant diamonds in platinum.
Price: 7,300

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/item.aspx?sku=23698188&cid=287466&search_params=s+5-p+3-c+287466-r+101323351-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t&mcat=148211
I have a very similar ring with a cheaper version of that setting from ebay with just as many diamonds, but in 14K gold. I also have a minty tourmaline from [email protected] that I put in there. The whole ring cost me less than $500, and that includes the setting of the stone. You can buy better quality versions of that ring from Whiteflash and other vendors for far less than what Tiffany would charge. I think if you wanted it in platinum, and a very nice 1.5 carat tourmaline, it would probaby cost around $3K. Tiffany has a very high markup IMHO.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto TL on the Tiff markup. You can get a very nice quality gemstone for a fraction of that price, and the setting wouldn''t be that much either unless you did platinum. Beautiful ring, but not worth the Tiff''s pricetag unless you''re in it for the name. IMHO as always.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
That is a pretty tourmaline, but I cannot imagine paying 7k for a less than 2 ct tourmaline ring
6.gif
I suspect we could find a similar stone for <$500.

So what is it actually worth? Well, that is a pretty ornate setting. So let''s say you have Leon Mege (a high-end custom guy) do the setting for 4k, plus your $500 stone = $4500.

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
Hmmm... I agree with what everyone has said. The quote I received from Leon Mege for a very substantial PLAT man''s ring custom made was less than this... I''m a label whore when it comes to clothes and shoes, but the finest jewelry I have ever seen, and trust me that IS saying something, has been custom made from small gold/plat smith''s in the US, and England. I would strongly encourage you to follow the advice of these lovely people, and buy your stone loose, and have a ring created to your own specifications
30.gif
Something you''ll never grow bored of lol!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
You can't get the Legacy cut elsewhere, because it's a patented cut, and the setting is original (and elaborate). So it's not a question of getting the same thing elsewhere (because you won't) or marking up the same ring (because it's not the same ring, it's this ring).

How much do I think it is actually worth? I think it's worth what you want to pay for it.

Just my opinion.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes you can find Tiffany Legacies on ebay second-hand. Just make sure you know who you''re buying from to ensure it''s authenticity as a Tiffany. Some people bought these rings at half price on ebay, which in that case, is a good buy. Also check out signedpieces.com.

Personally, I agree I would have the ring custom made. It''s not so difficult to find the actual setting as it is the perfect stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results