shape
carat
color
clarity

How much do you spend on handbags?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/29/2009 8:03:14 AM
Author: Madam Bijoux

Too much! I have 15 LV''S. 2 Chanels, 1 Balenciaga, about 5 Guccis and I started buying Hermes last year. So far I have 3 Hermes bags and I recently placed a special order for my 4th one.
Goodness gracious me!! I think you have more designer bags than my tai-tai friend does!

Can we pls see yr gorgeous collection?
30.gif

I''d love to get an Hermes Birkin, but their prices are so prohibitive, plus I can''t even get on the waiting list. How do you get on "the list", MB?

Ok, second thread-jack over. Really over, I promise!
3.gif
1.gif

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/30/2009 9:07:49 AM
Author: Phoenix

Too much! I have 15 LV''S. 2 Chanels, 1 Balenciaga, about 5 Guccis and I started buying Hermes last year. So far I have 3 Hermes bags and I recently placed a special order for my 4th one.

Goodness gracious me!! I think you have more designer bags than my tai-tai friend does!

30.gif

I''d love to get an Hermes Birkin, but their prices are so prohibitive, plus I can''t even get on the waiting list. How do you get on ''the list'', MB?

3.gif
1.gif

I heard that if you go into Hermes, buy some other things then as you are paying ask about the Birkin, they will pop one out or put you on the list. I think when I say buy some things I mean more than a scarf though. I read that somewhere so I don''t know how true it really is. I am actually coveting Cartier bags at the moment.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I have absolutely no gag reflex when it comes the buying purses. I''ve spent as little as $300 and it goes higher and higher from there.

I most basic brand I own is Coach...which I consider to be pretty commerical and not so much luxury any more. Once upon a time, when I first started buying Coach it was pretty exclusive...but now I see 11 and 12 year olds carrying them, and I laugh. However, I continue to buy them because for an everyday purse the craftsmanship is impeciable.

But, my big splurge these days is LV. I prefer it over Chanel and Fendi by leaps and bounds. I will spend thousands and thousands on a good LV bag. And my sweet husband buys me one as anniversary gift every year when we visit Las Vegas.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
I have coveted a Chanel 2.55 (med/large) for years. Preferably in a metallic finish (gun metal? ) to give it an edge...
Thing is, I really prefer YG hardware - don''t really want to settle for silver, but don''t want to scream ''''80s hick'' either!!

In any case, it''s a dream, so my dilemma over the hardware can remain a pleasant puzzle...
25.gif

Bia

Ideal_Rock
The most I''ve spent on a bag is $600. I refuse to spend more than that. My FI did get me a LV tote a few years ago that, to be honest, I don''t love. Don''t get me wrong, it is a nice bag but it''s just that I don''t like wearing things that scream "label" on them...even if it is exclusive.

My favorite bag is my BCBG black (I have one in teal too!) leather tote. I use it all the time and it fits everything! I love it and get compliments on it all the time :)

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,v Phoenex! Placing a special order at Hermes isn't reallly the same thing as being on a waiting list. They take special orders in February and September. The store manager goes to Paris and places the orders. If you want anything unusual, you can have your sales associate give your request to the store manager. They let you know if they can make your special order when the manager returns from Paris. It takes at least 4 months for the special order bags to be made. Here is a link to pictures of the H bags I have so far:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/some-hermes-bags-try-on-some-necklaces.92302/

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
Threadjacking again- Madame B- I see you referenced KOP in the older post- are you from around there? I am from the main line

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello, sba! I live about 18 miles outside of Philadelphia, in Delaware County. I think the new H store at KOP will be opening around April 1 - my SA told me that they have to be out of their present space by March 31. We're overdue for a PS Philly get-together.

plethora23

Shiny_Rock
My latest purchase was an LV bag at around $1200. I bought it in Canada so it was actually a little cheaper than in the US. That is the most I''ve ever spent on a handbag and I would have a hard time spending more (although always dreaming of a classic Chanel bag...). The good news is I only have one other LV and 2 Fendi''s and I''ve had them for several years and still use them often.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m so surprised by this thread! I''m not poor, but I can barely afford one "hobby", jewllery, and several of you do the expensive purses and shoes too. I''m not saying this a bad thing, just surprising to me. About half the people on here regularly buy purses that cost more than my engagement ring! Wow!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/30/2009 9:28:42 AM
Author: sba771

Date: 3/30/2009 9:07:49 AM
Author: Phoenix

Too much! I have 15 LV'S. 2 Chanels, 1 Balenciaga, about 5 Guccis and I started buying Hermes last year. So far I have 3 Hermes bags and I recently placed a special order for my 4th one.

30.gif

I'd love to get an Hermes Birkin, but their prices are so prohibitive, plus I can't even get on the waiting list. How do you get on 'the list', MB?

3.gif
1.gif

I heard that if you go into Hermes, buy some other things then as you are paying ask about the Birkin, they will pop one out or put you on the list. I think when I say buy some things I mean more than a scarf though. I read that somewhere so I don't know how true it really is. I am actually coveting Cartier bags at the moment.
I think it depends on the store, it is true that you have a better chance of getting a Birkin if you show an interest in the brand in general and buy some smaller items, also it is said that it can help if you build a relationship with a SA, that increases your chance of actually being offered one or being placed on the list. It can take a long time if you are on the waiting list for an order, a year or more isn't unusual for a Birkin. But by all accounts walking into a Hermes store and asking for a Birkin is not a good way to get one! Thankfully the Birkin doesn't interest me, I much prefer the Kelly!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/30/2009 10:20:53 AM
Hi,v Phoenex! Placing a special order at Hermes isn''t reallly the same thing as being on a waiting list. They take special orders in February and September. The store manager goes to Paris and places the orders. If you want anything unusual, you can have your sales associate give your request to the store manager. They let you know if they can make your special order when the manager returns from Paris. It takes at least 4 months for the special order bags to be made. Here is a link to pictures of the H bags I have so far:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/some-hermes-bags-try-on-some-necklaces.92302/
Those are podium orders I believe.

fuzzypill

Rough_Rock
The most I''ve ever spent was $1200 on a Bottega Veneta leather hobo. Funny story about this: I was given a fake Bottega and I loved it so much. Used it everyday until it fell apart so I just had to buy the real thing. The leather on the authentic bag is so gorgeous and has held up for several years now with daily use!

Anyways, on average I prob. spend around $200-$300 on a handbag. Although I''ve been known to splurge every now and then (a couple of LV, prada, kate spade, Coach).

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, Lorelei! I think H takes the podium orders and special orders at the same times. The way I understand it, a podium order is for something that they would routinely make and a special order is for something unusual, such as a bi-color or tri-color bag. They took mine as a special order because of the color. Last year when I did a special order for a Constance, they did it as a podium order because the color was readily available. I suspect that they set this system up to confuse and baffle customers.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think I''ve ever spent more than $30 on a purse. I would love to own something Coach.... but just haven''t had the impetus to spend that kind of money on a bag.

Yet.

27.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, well I guess I fall in the practical camp along with Ellen, Deb, Whitby, Gecko, etc.! I just have no interest in spending hundreds or thousands on a purse. I get tired of one after using it for a year regardless of how much it costs, so when I spend $100 or less, all I have to do is donate it to Goodwill and get a new one! I''m with whoever said they''d rather spend extra money on jewelry, real estate, or other investments. And like Whitby, conscience definitely limits what I spend for luxuries as well. We ate lunch yesterday with missionaires to India who run a children''s home and school for the children of lepers. Those kind of things make me think twice before buying anything.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
some women love shoes. others love jeans. others love diamonds. some love all three, and more. just like that, some women love bags.

i have a few expensive designer bags that i adore. i am not the type to 'collect' 20 expensive bags and not use them. i rotate through my stuff pretty regularly. but i USE it.

how i justify things i want when they are expensive is kind of like 'what is my ROI'. aka if this is $1000. and i wear it for one year straight, so 365 days. that is like $2.50 a day. for a year. if i wear it for a year and then put it away for a year and then wear it for 6 months again....that is now $1.75 a day. if it's a classic and you keep it forever, eventually it's like it pays for itself!

now if i wanted to buy something and never wear it...well that seems like a bad ROI. so i typically won't purchase ANYTHING for myself that doesn't have a good ROI.
5.gif
this is also how i justify any purchases to my husband. since we both play with numbers a lot in budgets and forecasts on programs we manage, etc... it makes sense to both of us. hehee....he does the same thing.

i also tend to buy other things really cheaply, like shoes or tops or similar. it's not rare for me to have an 'outfit' on that cost $100 and have a $700 handbag. it's what *I* like. but honestly, i am not keen on the whole 'not many women do XYZ'...well i'm not 'many women' and i can be unique right?
11.gif

random note: check bluefly.com for some designer deals... they have a ton of expensive bags marked down 30-60%...if you don't have your heart set on a bag already but like a general design you might find a steal.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
3/30/2009 4:34:47 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006

Okay, well I guess I fall in the practical camp along with Ellen, Deb, Whitby, Gecko, etc.! I just have no interest in spending hundreds or thousands on a purse. I get tired of one after using it for a year regardless of how much it costs, so when I spend $100 or less, all I have to do is donate it to Goodwill and get a new one! I'm with whoever said they'd rather spend extra money on jewelry, real estate, or other investments. And like Whitby, conscience definitely limits what I spend for luxuries as well. We ate lunch yesterday with missionaires to India who run a children's home and school for the children of lepers. Those kind of things make me think twice before buying anything.

I do so love you, diamondseeker! You are good for all of us. You just have a good heart....
AGBF
34.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2009 2:55:57 PM
Author: Addy
I''m so surprised by this thread! I''m not poor, but I can barely afford one ''hobby'', jewllery, and several of you do the expensive purses and shoes too. I''m not saying this a bad thing, just surprising to me. About half the people on here regularly buy purses that cost more than my engagement ring! Wow!
It has always surprised me, too. It shouldn''t . . . we are talking about people of discriminating taste in jewelry, after all.

But I don''t believe I''ve ever met a woman carrying a $1K plus bag. Or someone with a $30K plus ring. It seems to be an everyday thing here on PS, though. These ladies enjoy being ''out of the ordinary''!
2.gif

As long as people can afford what they buy, spending keeps the global economy spinning.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/30/2009 7:41:49 PM
Author: AGBF

Date:
3/30/2009 4:34:47 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006

Okay, well I guess I fall in the practical camp along with Ellen, Deb, Whitby, Gecko, etc.! I just have no interest in spending hundreds or thousands on a purse. I get tired of one after using it for a year regardless of how much it costs, so when I spend $100 or less, all I have to do is donate it to Goodwill and get a new one! I''m with whoever said they''d rather spend extra money on jewelry, real estate, or other investments. And like Whitby, conscience definitely limits what I spend for luxuries as well. We ate lunch yesterday with missionaires to India who run a children''s home and school for the children of lepers. Those kind of things make me think twice before buying anything.

I do so love you, diamondseeker! You are good for all of us. You just have a good heart....
AGBF
34.gif
Oh, Deb, you of ALL people get the prize for having a good heart! Thank you, though! {{{hugs}}}

(And I like VB, too...I have the luggage in Maison Blue!)

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/30/2009 10:20:53 AM
Hi,v Phoenex! Placing a special order at Hermes isn''t reallly the same thing as being on a waiting list. They take special orders in February and September. The store manager goes to Paris and places the orders. If you want anything unusual, you can have your sales associate give your request to the store manager. They let you know if they can make your special order when the manager returns from Paris. It takes at least 4 months for the special order bags to be made. Here is a link to pictures of the H bags I have so far:
Thanks for your reply, MB. Your Hermes are absolutely TDF as are your necklaces (and your other jewellery pieces). Magnificient, LOVE them!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Do you know if ordering a Birkin would work like this too (if and when I can actually afford one)?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I actually just bought my "semi-annual" Coach bag at the Outlet yesterday.
3.gif

I think the average amount I spend on purses is around $500 /yr spread out between 2-3 purses. I''ve just retired by black signature Hamptons workhorse. I''ve been using it for about 18 months straight, and it''s a great vacation bag. Most of my other bags have all been Coach leather, and I don''t often venture too far from that standard.

I love a deal, though, so I don''t mind buying a recent season bag for 1/3 the price.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Back in 2007 I think I spent right around $1k on two bags and a zip clutch. Those have lasted me until now, and I''m taking two items to the leather repair shop in town for a good cleaning/refurbishing next week so they''ll last even longer. I really no longer have a disposable income, so whatever handbag investments I made I''m sticking with. I''m glad I got a few things that I really still love!

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning, Phoenix. The stores often have more Birkins stashed away than they will admit. It might be a good strategy to ask whether they have anything in the size and color you want (be sure to tell them a Birkin size, like 35) and let them bring out whatever the''re hiding.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/31/2009 6:50:12 AM
Good morning, Phoenix. The stores often have more Birkins stashed away than they will admit. It might be a good strategy to ask whether they have anything in the size and color you want (be sure to tell them a Birkin size, like 35) and let them bring out whatever the''re hiding.
Hello, MB. Thank you for yr reply. That''s great advice!
1.gif

I recently went in there to buy a scarf for a friend and a smaller less expensive scarf for myself. I should have asked them! Bummer!
4.gif

Will try next time I go in there to buy something.

Thanks.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Most of my bags are under $300, except for the Chloe Bay bag in black that I bought about 2 years ago (over 1k), which like Thing2 I just *had* to have !
I take very good care of it and use it mostly on special occasions only, so I think that will be the only designer bag for me for a while.
I love my chloe!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results